Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
So here it is:

Game 1 - 0P
Game 2 - 2A (first assist Flyers on ice - 27,28,5,44; second assist 27,28,5,44) (Couts scored when Malkin was on the ice)
Game 3 - 2A (first assist Flyers on ice - 48,68,6,25; second assist (PP) 14,24,6,13)
Game 4 - 2G, 1A (first goal Flyers on ice - 10,48,24, 68, 25; (PP) assist Flyers on ice 14, 27, 47, 5, 8; second goal Flyers - 10,48,17,13,25) BTW the flyers had 10:05 of PK time this game -- lost 10 -3.
Game 5 - 0P
Game 6 - 1G ((PP( Goal - 14, 24, 5, 6)

Season ES pt/60 - 3.6
Playoff ES pt/60 - 2.51

Season TOI -pt/60 - 4.15
Playoff TOI - pt/60 - 3.6

Couts was on the ice for 1 ES secondary assist against, and 2 powerplay points against. Considering that Malkin came into the playoffs scoring more ES points and 2nd most PP points than anyone else.

So definitively, yes Couts shut down the Hart and Art Ross trophy winner as a 19 year old in 2012.
The facts are Malkin had 8 points in 6 games. He wasn't shut down. Not by any stretch. Anything other than that is willful ignorance of the facts.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Man, I really don’t like to put people on ignore, especially when others keep responding to validate them and I feel left out and confused. Have like 1 person on my list.

But I’m so close to 2. I can abide bad awful opinions, provided they come from a place of earnest bad awful opinions. Honest to goodness trolling gets my goat like Laine trying to pick up nanny goats on a Saturday night out at the pasture. This is getting too obvious.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Man, I really don’t like to put people on ignore, especially when others keep responding to validate them and I feel left out. Have like 1 person on my list.

But I’m so close to 2. I can abide bad awful opinions. Honest to goodness trolling gets my goat like Laine trying to pick up nanny goats on a Saturday night out at the pasture. I know what this is.

Seriously. It's like we share a mind.

#HiveLiving #TheHiveNeedsToBeFumigated

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Honestly, I remember it from a Bill Meltzer comment at HB. So I need to look into it more. I will do it later and get back to you. I have training now.

Game 1 -- Malkin 0 pts
Game 2 -- Malkin PPA (9:27 1st pd -- 6, 27, 28, 30, 44), PPA (11:10 2nd pd -- 14, 18, 26, 29, 58, 71)
Game 3 -- Malkin ESA (15:17 1st pd -- 6, 25, 30, 48, 68), PPA (10:31 2nd pd -- 6, 13, 14, 24, 30)
Game 4 -- Malkin ESG (3:37 1st pd -- 10, 24, 25, 30, 48, 68), ESA 16:19 1st pd -- 5, 8, 14, 27, 30, 47), ESG 4:04 3rd pd ( 10, 13, 17, 25, 35, 48).
Game 5 -- Malkin 0 pts
Game 6 -- Malkin PPG (8:34 2nd pd -- 5, 6, 14, 24, 30).

In total, Couturier was out for 1 Malkin even-strength assist (assist in game 4), zero even strength goals, one power play goal (game 6), two power play assists (game 2, game 4).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Game 1 -- Malkin 0 pts
Game 2 -- Malkin PPA (9:27 1st pd -- 6, 27, 28, 30, 44), PPA (11:10 2nd pd -- 14, 18, 26, 29, 58, 71)
Game 3 -- Malkin ESA (15:17 1st pd -- 6, 25, 30, 48, 68), PPA (10:31 2nd pd -- 6, 13, 14, 24, 30)
Game 4 -- Malkin ESG (3:37 1st pd -- 10, 24, 25, 30, 48, 68), ESA 16:19 1st pd -- 5, 8, 14, 27, 30, 47), ESG 4:04 3rd pd ( 10, 13, 17, 25, 35, 48).
Game 5 -- Malkin 0 pts
Game 6 -- Malkin PPG (8:34 2nd pd -- 5, 6, 14, 24, 30).

In total, Couturier was out for 1 Malkin even-strength assist (assist in game 4), zero even strength goals, one power play goal (game 6), two power play assists (game 2, game 4).

8 points. How many secondary PP assists?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
If Hextall keeps Hak, he needs to take away his toys. Let Filppula and Manning walk plus a buyout bonanza:

LehteraWeiseMacDonaldNeuvirthTotal
2018-19$1,366,667 $683,333 $1,375,000 $1,000,000 $4,425,000
2019-20$1,666,667 $1,283,333 $1,125,000 $750,000 $4,825,000
2020-21 $683,333 $1,875,000 $2,558,333
2021-22 $683,333 $1,875,000 $2,558,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: FlyersMania2

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
There's something I don't understand about why Hakstol is still the head coach of this failing team. He was brought to the Flyers so that he could elevate the Flyers prospects to the NHL level of play, yet he insists on playing veteran players in key situations during each game. The veteran players Hextall has provided are below par at best (Filppula, Manning, Weiss, Lehtera, MacDonald, Read).
I think Hakstol needs to be sacked, but Hextall should be dismissed as well.

Reactions: JPS and Rebels57

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
When will Manning be benched? Hakstol seems to be in love with this guy, just as he seems to love Filppula-Lehtera-Weiss? Read? whomever.
Manning shouldn't even be in the NHL, but because of this lousy coach he gets regular shifts in every game.
Hakstol benched TK for taking a bad penalty recently, and gave TK's shift time to Read. So when will Manning be benched for being out of position in every, single,game!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
With it looking like the free fall won't really end (even with the win against the Jets), I could see this being the death knell for Hak. I hope it is too. His style of coaching makes this team boring and frustrating to watch while at the same time being insanely streaky. Many of the faults can be pointed to the worst players on the team that he decides to keep playing and forcing into situations that they don't belong in. I'm betting Florida keeps rising the Flyers slip out of the playoffs. I hope that f***ing gets Hexy to get off his f***ing high horse and tell Hak and Lappy to f*** off.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is no one else to play right now, until Hextall promotes the kids.

Oduya sucks, he's not an upgrade over Manning. At least Manning can actually skate.
Sanheim played 16 minutes, didn't make much of a difference. But he's +2 the last three games!
Laughton played some of Filppula minutes, and just wasted Raffl and Simmonds (i.e. as a 3C, he's a fine 4C forechecking center who is lost in his D-zone).
You really think Leier or Weise are an upgrade over Lehtera?
Got a time machine? Maybe we can replace this year's version of Gudas with last year's version of Gudas.
With Hagg out, this might be the softest team in the NHL.

And Mrazek is bad, while Lyon is playing better, he still lacks NHL lateral agility and goes down too quickly.

If just one of Elliott, Neuvirth or Stolarz could have stayed healthy, we're a 95 point team.

Hakstol is irrelevant, Shero couldn't save this team without Bernie Parent.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
With it looking like the free fall won't really end (even with the win against the Jets), I could see this being the death knell for Hak. I hope it is too. His style of coaching makes this team boring and frustrating to watch while at the same time being insanely streaky. Many of the faults can be pointed to the worst players on the team that he decides to keep playing and forcing into situations that they don't belong in. I'm betting Florida keeps rising the Flyers slip out of the playoffs. I hope that ****ing gets Hexy to get off his ****ing high horse and tell Hak and Lappy to **** off.

I think the best we can hope for is:

1. Bill Peters is fired in Carolina.
2. Lappy takes a pink slip like a puck to the face and ****s off.
3. Hexy hires Peters to run the penalty kill.

This is where the story gets a little strange ...

4. Jeff Hakstok and his wife, Martha, visit Cape Canaveral in the offseason.
5. They board one of the old Apollo rockets to get a closer look. They marvel at the "modern technology" and say they preferred it when people got around in Weise-drawn carriages.
6. One of the NASA scientists, hearing this, gets super pissed. He goes "Hey, check that out!" and points off to the corner.
7. Jeff and Martha go "Huh derp?" and look.
8. The scientist runs off the rocket and locks the door, trapping Jeff and Martha inside.
9. The scientist fires up the rocket's engines and opens the roof.
10. The scientist blasts the rocket into deep space.
11. Jeff stares out the porthole into the darkness, the same way he used to stare at the ice during a hockey contest.
12. Martha settles into the co-pilot's chair and opens her St. James Bible to the Book of the Hittites. She feels a stirring down below, but fights it.
13. Peters takes over as head coach of the Flyers.

Probably a pipe dream, and possibly a crack pipe dream, but stranger things have happened. I mean, they haven't, but you know what I mean.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I hope Hextall stops throwing Torgo and Friends out during crucial shifts during games. It would be nice if Hextall didn't run his goaltenders into the ground. I'd also like Hextall to be a better communicator when it comes to his decisions to bench young players who are his best option when we need a goal or when we need to prevent one. With any luck, Hextall will also stop playing Manning altogether. I also wish Hextall hadn't coached at North Dakota for so long, because that place seems to have neutered Hextall and robbed him of his coaching balls.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Who knows what gm is out there but is it really a risk that a new gm would do any worse fielding a competitive NHL team as hextall has done so far? Hextall has had 4 full offseasons and barring a major drastic turnaround in the next 2 weeks, his team will have accomplished 1 playoff birth as the last seed in a league where over half of the teams make the playoffs with no real improvement record wise in those 4 years. Now that alone isn't an indictment against him... But if you aren't seeing an improvement in the standings, hopefully youre seeing a major youth infusion to the NHL roster and giving prospects NHL playing time to learn and grow. Every role that is currently filled with a useless vet whose play isnt helping the team now and who will never get any better in the future should have been replaced by a prospect in the beginning of this year at the absolute latest. They have several young players on the phantoms right now that at the absolute worst are equal to those crappy vets but they can actually get better from making mistakes. The team now still has many of the same weaknesses at the NHL level as the team did back in hextalls first season and much of that is his own doing at this point. His team has stagnated the last 2 years and the reason for that is largely his design. For every improvement made to the team by adding the young guys like TK, NP, and Provy to the roster, it has been negated by making brain dead decisions like keeping lehtera, Manning, weise, and flip on the roster. Every year that he has been gm he has aquired a "hard working vet" that has done way more harm to the team than good. Not only that but aquiring said shitty vets have blocked prospects that are at the very least equal to those trash players now with potential to grow. And if he had kept only the contributing vets on the roster, while waiving the trash, there would not be one single complaint on here about the teams record because we would all be hopeful that the young guys are learning and continue improving. But by having these trash players playing significant NHL time he has delayed that learning season for several important prospects to our future by yet another year and at the rate he is "developing talent", girouxs prime will have been thoroughly wasted and that will be another piece we need to replace. Hextall has done a good job restocking the farm and getting out of cap hell but as far as putting together a competitive team at the NHL level that has the ability to grow together at once, he has failed so far. How many more seasons of mediocrity watching a full line of crappy players get playing time while our prospects rot in the AHL must we endure before saying enough? When you see other teams in this league turn over their roster and get back into contention over the same time period that hextall has had and in some cases bringing their teams out of worse situations than he had, I think it is valid to question whether he has the ability to ice a Stanley cup contending NHL team. Having a loaded pipeline is great but that alone doesn't win Stanley cups. As far as being the right gm to know what pieces he must add to put a team over the top, I can't say his evaluation of aquiring NHL talent has been even average. He has been one of the worst gms in the league at acquiring NHL talent. Other teams are probably laughing their ass off that their cap dumps/rejects are getting significant playing time in Philly. Still I'm not calling for his head and unlike hak, I won't be upset at all if he is retained to give him one final year for the team to show a real improvement and direction towards the future. But at the same time, I wont be upset at all if the teams collapse continues and they miss the playoffs that ownership decides that this season was unacceptable and cleans house firing coaching staff and gm. The net positive of getting rid of the coaching staff would be much greater than the loss of hextall. Since Mr Snider has passed on though, I highly doubt that will happen as the current owners likely only care about their profit and Flyers fans, for better or worse, have continued to give them plenty of that over hextalls tenure.

Reactions: Rebels57

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Who knows what gm is out there but is it really a risk that a new gm would do any worse fielding a competitive NHL team as hextall has done so far? Hextall has had 4 full offseasons and barring a major drastic turnaround in the next 2 weeks, his team will have accomplished 1 playoff birth as the last seed in a league where over half of the teams make the playoffs with no real improvement record wise in those 4 years. Now that alone isn't an indictment against him... But if you aren't seeing an improvement in the standings, hopefully youre seeing a major youth infusion to the NHL roster and giving prospects NHL playing time to learn and grow. Every role that is currently filled with a useless vet whose play isnt helping the team now and who will never get any better in the future should have been replaced by a prospect in the beginning of this year at the absolute latest. They have several young players on the phantoms right now that at the absolute worst are equal to those crappy vets but they can actually get better from making mistakes. The team now still has many of the same weaknesses at the NHL level as the team did back in hextalls first season and much of that is his own doing at this point. His team has stagnated the last 2 years and the reason for that is largely his design. For every improvement made to the team by adding the young guys like TK, NP, and Provy to the roster, it has been negated by making brain dead decisions like keeping lehtera, Manning, weise, and flip on the roster. Every year that he has been gm he has aquired a "hard working vet" that has done way more harm to the team than good. Not only that but aquiring said ****ty vets have blocked prospects that are at the very least equal to those trash players now with potential to grow. And if he had kept only the contributing vets on the roster, while waiving the trash, there would not be one single complaint on here about the teams record because we would all be hopeful that the young guys are learning and continue improving. But by having these trash players playing significant NHL time he has delayed that learning season for several important prospects to our future by yet another year and at the rate he is "developing talent", girouxs prime will have been thoroughly wasted and that will be another piece we need to replace. Hextall has done a good job restocking the farm and getting out of cap hell but as far as putting together a competitive team at the NHL level that has the ability to grow together at once, he has failed so far. How many more seasons of mediocrity watching a full line of crappy players get playing time while our prospects rot in the AHL must we endure before saying enough? When you see other teams in this league turn over their roster and get back into contention over the same time period that hextall has had and in some cases bringing their teams out of worse situations than he had, I think it is valid to question whether he has the ability to ice a Stanley cup contending NHL team. Having a loaded pipeline is great but that alone doesn't win Stanley cups. As far as being the right gm to know what pieces he must add to put a team over the top, I can't say his evaluation of aquiring NHL talent has been even average. He has been one of the worst gms in the league at acquiring NHL talent. Other teams are probably laughing their ass off that their cap dumps/rejects are getting significant playing time in Philly. Still I'm not calling for his head and unlike hak, I won't be upset at all if he is retained to give him one final year for the team to show a real improvement and direction towards the future. But at the same time, I wont be upset at all if the teams collapse continues and they miss the playoffs that ownership decides that this season was unacceptable and cleans house firing coaching staff and gm. The net positive of getting rid of the coaching staff would be much greater than the loss of hextall. Since Mr Snider has passed on though, I highly doubt that will happen as the current owners likely only care about their profit and Flyers fans, for better or worse, have continued to give them plenty of that over hextalls tenure.
Truth. Hexy has to start making a mark and not with just drafted players. Coach out and a change lots of players also.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

Oduya sucks, he's not an upgrade over Manning. At least Manning can actually skate.
Sanheim played 16 minutes, didn't make much of a difference. But he's +2 the last three games!
Laughton played some of Filppula minutes, and just wasted Raffl and Simmonds (i.e. as a 3C, he's a fine 4C forechecking center who is lost in his D-zone).
You really think Leier or Weise are an upgrade over Lehtera?
Got a time machine? Maybe we can replace this year's version of Gudas with last year's version of Gudas.
With Hagg out, this might be the softest team in the NHL.

And Mrazek is bad, while Lyon is playing better, he still lacks NHL lateral agility and goes down too quickly.

If just one of Elliott, Neuvirth or Stolarz could have stayed healthy, we're a 95 point team.

Hakstol is irrelevant, Shero couldn't save this team without Bernie Parent.
How do you say so much without saying anything at all? You're a broken record deadhead, every single one of your posts is the same.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What GM is going to be an improvement on Hextall?

Maybe David Poile ? I think getting a clear upgrade of a GM over Hextall would be pretty difficult. I think he does a fairly decent job overall but he lets his feelings get in the way a bit. Not being able to just cut and throw a player like he should so to speak (i.e. Lehtera/Weise and co.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad