Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They got extra value by taking Filppula, 4th and 7th whereas Streit was then flipped for a 2018 4th.
Hextall was willing to pay Filppula one season as a stop gap, but I wouldn't say he "actively wanted and valued" him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They got extra value by taking Filppula, 4th and 7th whereas Streit was then flipped for a 2018 4th.
Hextall was willing to pay Filppula one season as a stop gap, but I wouldn't say he "actively wanted and valued" him.

Him being on a one year contract can be part of his value. We know that Hextall wanted more than a 4th for Streit. We also know that if Filppula had negative value, he would cost more than a 7th to dump based on every salary dump ever.

There's a clear logical chain. They viewed him as a positive. At least go with the argument that he planned to trade him at this deadline to pick up an extra asset even if we now know that was never happening. That made a little sense.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm a lawyer (as well as a few other professions), I can spot BS a mile away.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We lost nothing of real value and it was worth it to just see what we had in Leier.

Now we’ll soon lose Leier so we can see what we have in other guys.

The circle of life.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Cousins is just a bad fit, he's not a checking center, he's not 3rd line quality (slower, feistier version of Weal), he's meh.
He's playing well on a bad team, but he is what he is, he might be a marginal upgrade this year, but he'd still be gone in a year or two.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No issue moving Cousins, but really, guys like him should be kept instead of signing guys like Weise...and will going forward I assume.

Trade out the guys who can be replaced from within and recoup picks to keep the pipeline full.

FA in hockey is becoming a clear path to ruin your franchise. Maybe 1 year out 5 a guy will be a major contributor on a cup winning team. I don't see us going that route much in the future especially after the weise signing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
FA in hockey is becoming a clear path to ruin your franchise. Maybe 1 year out 5 a guy will be a major contributor on a cup winning team. I don't see us going that route much in the future especially after the weise signing.
Agreed. FA is good to find a 1 year stop gap if you need one....or if you are a newly rebuilding team who wants to add a few guys that you plan on trading come deadline day while your prospects get more time to develop.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Agreed. FA is good to find a 1 year stop gap if you need one....or if you are a newly rebuilding team who wants to add a few guys that you plan on trading come deadline day while your prospects get more time to develop.

I agree. Its a good way to add solid vet depth at a cheap price. Like a justin williams or a Scott hartnell. Bur Karl alzner or shattenkirk? Those deals dont look great now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree. Its a good way to add solid vet depth at a cheap price. Like a justin williams or a Scott hartnell. Bur Karl alzner or shattenkirk? Those deals dont look great now.
The best deals are always the ones that happen later in the summer once the "frenzy" is over. Players start getting more worried about having a job and teams start looking more at their prospects more and wonder if they can be the guy instead.

CBus did it right with Gagner for example. One year deal, low price of 650,000 to prove himself, then cut bait. Then the Canucks swoop in and overpay him for 3 years at 3.15 million per.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This idea of locking players into certain roles needs to die in a fire. Who gives a rat's ass if Cousins wasn't a traditional 3rd line checking center? He'd be an upgrade on Filppula who, ironically enough, is floundering in his role as a traditional 3rd line checking center.

The Filppula trade has bothered me since the day it was made because the Flyers (Hextall) didn't view it strictly as a cap dump acquisition in return for a couple of picks. They really think this guy is/will be instrumental in mentoring the young forwards on the roster. Playing with good players develops prospects, not this veteran presence mystique in the locker room.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This idea of locking players into certain roles needs to die in a fire. Who gives a rat's ass if Cousins wasn't a traditional 3rd line checking center? He'd be an upgrade on Filppula who, ironically enough, is floundering in his role as a traditional 3rd line checking center.

The Filppula trade has bothered me since the day it was made because the Flyers (Hextall) didn't view it strictly as a cap dump acquisition in return for a couple of picks. They really think this guy is/will be instrumental in mentoring the young forwards on the roster. Playing with good players develops prospects, not this veteran presence mystique in the locker room.

Hockey is a game made up of different roles. That is why cousins is never going to contribute on a good team.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Hockey is a game made up of different roles. That is why cousins is never going to contribute on a good team.
Thank you for the clarification on that.

The idea of a traditional checking center is pretty much a thing of the past, imo. Everyone needs to be able to skate and play defense. Constantly chasing a matchup in game is a good way for a deeper team to expose you because you're no longer dictating the game play.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Thank you for the clarification on that.

The idea of a traditional checking center is pretty much a thing of the past, imo. Everyone needs to be able to skate and play defense. Constantly chasing a matchup in game is a good way for a deeper team to expose you because you're no longer dictating the game play.

The idea is that at one point that Stamkos line is goiing to be on the ice, and regardless of how good you think your offensive minded 3rd line center is , we all know what zone that puck is going to be played in. I agree everyone needs to skate, but not everyone is someone you want in your own zone out there against stamkos. I am comfortable with Michael raffl out there as our 3rd line winger in the dzone. I am not comfortable with Drouin as our 3rd line winger in the dzone. Hence why a guy who is good on offense but not so much on defense gets a certain role.

You will never find a team made up of 12 2 way forwards, and if you did you would get some version of the predators during the trotz days.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You also have two different circumstances, at home when you can match lines, where a top flight defensive line can be used to harass a team's scoring line, and on the road, where you can't afford to have a line that's deficient defensively or they'll be a target everytime they hit the ice.

That's why a lot of teams are better at home, they can manipulate their limited resources to create favorable matchups, but on the road their lack of depth and/or limitation of their star players can be exploited.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Ah yes, the circle of arguments goes round and round. Even when home and having last change, our coach makes poor decisions. Move on to something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad