Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He deserves some criticism, but ultimately, he’s set up this possible team next year or in the future:

G-Coots-Konecny
Frost-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Vorobyov-Aube-Kubel
Raffl-Laughton-Vecchione

Provorov-Myers
Morin-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas

Hart/Mrazek
Elliot

With a lot of draft picks, multiple 1sts, a solid pipeline behind it, and a lot of cap space.

He’s done his job. It’s all there. We are in the best spot in the league going forward.
Just a few minor changes. I like Misha - think he can be an effective 3C, but I also think Laughton should be given a chance to play that 3C next year as well (should be playing it now). Also,I don't like the idea of splitting up 9/53. I would rather an eventual top 4 of 9/53 and 6/5.

But those are good problems to have!

Reactions: kelmitchell

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If Hextall is going to act like he doesn't want to try to win until 2020, that is simply not acceptable.

You have the core veterans on this team in the prime of their careers; secondary players (Konecny, Patrick, Laughton, Sanheim) trending upward; arguably the best forward and goalie in Canadian juniors; a slew of prospects with ample AHL seasoning (Morin, Myers, NAK, Vecchione, Martel); plenty of cap space; and easy areas of the team to target for improvement (PK, goaltending).

If that's not a team that can compete next year, I don't know what is. The fact that it can be done by simply not shitting the bed with your bottom 6-9 players makes it even more important that management has a good offseason.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's exactly the same type of question "when did you stop beating your wife."
I'm a lawyer (as well as a few other professions), I can spot BS a mile away.

Filppula is used because:
1) Patrick has to have his minutes limited this year, if he got overworked and injured, that would be gross negligence.
2) Couts is already playing over 20 minutes and his play has fallen off.
3) Laughton is a worse center, he is clueless in his D-zone, he's best at skating, hitting and shooting, and should be the LW on a checking line.

So it comes down to the mediocre veteran whose legs are going or the mediocre 4th line center who can skatke but lacks instincts and ice vision.
Which is why I don't get bent out of shape, Hextall could have traded for an upgrade (package Laughton and a 2nd rd pick, for example) but didn't.
That's because I think he has Frost and Vorobyev lined up and didn't want to waste assets for a futile run this season.

Flip has been worse than Laughton by every single measure, especially the last 30 games. You do not need to bump Patrick up to 20 minutes, or Laughton up to 20 minutes. Merely reduce Flip's ice time and distribute it to them. Easy.

My question is nothing like "when did you stop beating your wife?" If you are a lawyer, then YOU must know you're utterly BSing with that comparison.

Is it good coaching to make the team worse? You've admitted Flip sucks, yet Hakstol maximizes his icetime over better players. Do you think playing worse players more than better players is good coaching?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Flip has been worse than Laughton by every single measure, especially the last 30 games. You do not need to bump Patrick up to 20 minutes, or Laughton up to 20 minutes. Merely reduce Flip's ice time and distribute it to them. Easy.

My question is nothing like "when did you stop beating your wife?" If you are a lawyer, then YOU must know you're utterly BSing with that comparison.

Is it good coaching to make the team worse? You've admitted Flip sucks, yet Hakstol maximizes his icetime over better players. Do you think playing worse players more than better players is good coaching?

"Hextall should have given him better players to play."

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
If Hextall is going to act like he doesn't want to try to win until 2020, that is simply not acceptable.

You have the core veterans on this team in the prime of their careers; secondary players (Konecny, Patrick, Laughton, Sanheim) trending upward; arguably the best forward and goalie in Canadian juniors; a slew of prospects with ample AHL seasoning (Morin, Myers, NAK, Vecchione, Martel); plenty of cap space; and easy areas of the team to target for improvement (PK, goaltending).

If that's not a team that can compete next year, I don't know what is. The fact that it can be done by simply not ****ting the bed with your bottom 6-9 players makes it even more important that management has a good offseason.

Yeah I agree with this. They need to try and win next year. No more wasting time because of some loyalty to scrub vets

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"Hextall should have given him better players to play."

:laugh: never mind that he has.

And never mind that Sanheim blatantly outplayed Manning in two straight games and has yet to be rewarded. Manning is flinging pucks to the other team blindly, falling over, blowing coverage, and has yet to receive the punishment Sanheim would have received.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Sanheim did take a penalty however, those two minutes in the box are two less minutes on the ice, as is natural. If Sanheim wasn't [insert reason here] then he'd stay on the ice like Manning. I think it's because Manning [insert reason here] better than Sanheim in Hakstol's evaluation system.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
:laugh: never mind that he has.

And never mind that Sanheim blatantly outplayed Manning in two straight games and has yet to be rewarded. Manning is flinging pucks to the other team blindly, falling over, blowing coverage, and has yet to receive the punishment Sanheim would have received.

Yeah, but sanheim took that penalty..needs more development.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
C'mon dude.

I see where you're coming from on being patient but to say he's doing everything right is just not true.
I don’t literally mean that everything he’s done has been 100% flawless, but there’s nothing that was obviously a bad action from the start, that he did out of having a misguided strategy for the future.

Any complaints are a matter of opinion, that we could go back and forth on, nothing that was a horrific mistake like other GMs have made. No trade or action that clearly hurts the future of the team.

The only thing that he’s done, that I count as a strike against him, is giving Hakstol the total control he has, with no intervention.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t literally mean that everything he’s done has been 100% flawless, but there’s nothing that was obviously a bad action from the start, that he did out of having a misguided strategy for the future.

Any complaints are a matter of opinion, that we could go back and forth on, nothing that was a horrific mistake like other GMs have made. No trade or action that clearly hurts the future of the team.

The only thing that he’s done, that I count as a strike against him, is giving Hakstol the total control he has, with no intervention.

When do we get Striiker 3.0?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
deadhead being a lawyer makes perfect sense now. No wonder he can just go on and on about things. That whole profession is built around arguing why you are right even if you are wrong.

Yeah going on and on for months about how the authority is never wrong, never actually voicing own opinion on anything - and when asked for one, deflecting for hours - and the infinite belief in "me/authority right you wrong" makes way more sense right now.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Manning is an absolute disgrace. He has no ability to cover anyone when pressure is being put on his goalie. He stands around watching the puck rather than controlling the player. He should be sent to the AHL for life! Hakstol loves him, and he puts him out there as often as he puts other useless players on the ice during key moments (Weiss-Lehtera-Filppula).
Hakstol needs to be fired!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, his NHL scouting has been abysmal. Umberger, Lehtera, Weisebiscuit, Filp...these are huge whiffs.
I don’t believe that Umberger and Lehtera were honestly taken because he wanted them. They were conditions of the trades they were involved in. Get a bad contract to lose a worse/riskier contract and then taking back dead cap so they could trade Schenn.

As for Weise, he’s been worse than anyone expected. I keep saying it, but go look back at the thread when we signed him. The only complaint was contract length, not that he was a horrible player. Hextall expected more from him, just like we did.

Filppula filled a need at the time. We needed a 3C so fat boi Schenn didn’t have to play there and we got him (plus a pick) by giving up what was negative value to us. Again, like Bellemare, an example of a guy who isn’t good but the bigger issue is how he's being severely misused.

As a side note, I get this may appear to be turd polishing to defend Hextall, but these are the exact same things I’ve said many times and also long ago. These are my consistent and honest views. I also have no favorable bias towards Hextall because I never once saw him when he played here, so I’m judging him exclusively by his actions as GM. I’d also hope that by now you guys know I don’t have a problem shitting on someone if I believe they deserve it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad