Fire Doug Wilson

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Any organization that would make business decisions based on what fans think is one sorry organization. It would become the worst of bottom feeders

They wouldn't be making that decision based on what fans think. They'd be making that decision based on the results of the team. All I know is if I was a manager's boss and that manager made a statement regarding the team's expectations and then failed to come through with it, I would need to hold that manager accountable in some fashion.

No matter what decision he makes regarding Wilson, the fans' thoughts are irrelevant and no matter what decision he makes regarding Wilson, there will be fans that agree with it.

Personally, I think DW's done what he's capable with the resources available to him and it won't be good enough. So either ownership needs to expand on the resources available to him or find a new manager to work within those resources better.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Based on DW's comments after the TDL regarding the summer and his interest in players that are not yet available, I can't imagine he won't still be the GM going into next season.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

DW is a smart guy. If the sharks miss the playoffs, and niemi doesnt come back. I'm pretty sure jt/pm will highly consider asking for a trade.

He just put the ball in their court, and that way they can focus on the rest of the season/playoffs to make a decision.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Seems like DW's tendency of mortgaging the future for success today finally caught up with his team. From what I have gleamed the team need a total reboot. Much of the problem is trading the players. Both Patty and Joe are quite old so carries limited value, Even Pavelski is an aging player and the team looks fat and happy while playing. I think personally little can be done with the key players locked up for the foreseeable future which will make getting market-value from the players impossible.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
needless to say the writing is on the wall, I expect DW gone after this season whether the Sharks make the playoffs or not.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
needless to say the writing is on the wall, I expect DW gone after this season whether the Sharks make the playoffs or not.

I don't. Not when DW spent an entire offseason lowering everybodies expectations. Not when the owner has said that paitence is needed now. It's pretty clear DW and the owner are on the same page.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's never been more obvious that DW needs to be gone than after this whole Thornton fiasco. The players are never going to trust him again.

Yup. All the silence over the years and this is what gets out? Who would ever want to sign with the Sharks?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
so I'm sure we wont make the playoffs this season, I'm ready to fire DW at seasons end for the following reasons.

a. we r rebuilding and he's not a rebuild GM
b. the manor in which he handled team leadership and this recent stuff with Thornton
c. poor player signings that ended up with ****** players, that ended up getting moved, etc. (e.g. t kennedy)
b. his in ability to make deals for impact players that keep the core fresh and the team competitive with the rest of the NHL

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
so I'm sure we wont make the playoffs this season, I'm ready to fire DW at seasons end for the following reasons.

b. the manor in which he handled team leadership and this recent stuff with Thornton
c. poor player signings that ended up with ****** players, that ended up getting moved, etc. (e.g. t kennedy)
b. his in ability to make deals for impact players that keep the core fresh and the team competitive with the rest of the NHL

A. Reasonable opinion
B. That's my main reason for firing DW. This is a total management **** up in my eyes
C. He's handcuffed himself too often in the last couple years between Burish and Havlat and whatnot. Also some below average asset management lately
D. I can excuse him for the most part here. It's hard to sign someone without absolutely throwing money at them.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA

We don't know whether Doug Wilson is or isn't a rebuilding GM. He's never set out to do a full rebuild but if he does, it's hard to predict how it will go.

I do agree he handled Thornton pretty badly but I think he's doing it to get him to waive his NMC. I think it was the season ticket holder Q and A when he said something about actions without plans are nightmares and plans without actions are dreams. Thornton obviously isn't in his plans for the future. (I still do think what he did was ****ed up though, especially to someone who's helped the sharks as much as Thornton has)

I'm personally happy DW doesn't go out and offer tons of money at UFAs. I'm scared if we get a new GM that's gonna be the first thing he tries to do and its going to put us in cap trouble.

I think we need to give DW a couple more years and see where his plan goes. He has done pretty much what he said he would throughout the year and he seems determined to fix the franchise (he started addressing his need for more goaltending depth at the Q and A and I have a feeling he'll make a big splash at the draft. Whether that's a good or bad splash, we'll have to wait and see)

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
We don't know whether Doug Wilson is or isn't a rebuilding GM. He's never set out to do a full rebuild but if he does, it's hard to predict how it will go.

I do agree he handled Thornton pretty badly but I think he's doing it to get him to waive his NMC. I think it was the season ticket holder Q and A when he said something about actions without plans are nightmares and plans without actions are dreams. Thornton obviously isn't in his plans for the future. (I still do think what he did was ****ed up though, especially to someone who's helped the sharks as much as Thornton has)

I'm personally happy DW doesn't go out and offer tons of money at UFAs. I'm scared if we get a new GM that's gonna be the first thing he tries to do and its going to put us in cap trouble.

I think we need to give DW a couple more years and see where his plan goes. He has done pretty much what he said he would throughout the year and he seems determined to fix the franchise (he started addressing his need for more goaltending depth at the Q and A and I have a feeling he'll make a big splash at the draft. Whether that's a good or bad splash, we'll have to wait and see)

we will see soon.

i used to think this was to get Thornton and Patty to waive their NMC, i think if he wanted to he would ask them and they would.

he has blown some decent cap space on kennedy, burish for example. i agree about not blowing even more cap on even bigger disasters for sure.

ill be interested to see about the next two years, I fear that the owner has said ok to this and to DW making it happen, making DW confident in his job. interesting that attendence is down as a result ofmthe teams performance, ill be interested to see if this is ok with ownership over the next two years.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
After today's debacle with TMac siding with Jumbo (sounded like that) I see only one of DW and TMac returning next year. Maybe neither.

I wouldn't read anything into Todd's comments he has 14 games left and will side with the player no matter what because ditching your team now is dumb.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I wouldn't read anything into Todd's comments he has 14 games left and will side with the player no matter what because ditching your team now is dumb.

ditching your team ever is dumb. which is why DW needs fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad