Fire Doug Wilson

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem is that Wilson's vision is being sabotaged by his ego.

This thing should have been blown up after last year's playoff debacle and that included the coaching staff.

For someone who was an all star D man he sure hasn't been able to get the Sharks a top flight PMD.

Pavelski's value was at its peak after last season and I was curious what he could have fetched.

This team needs to get rid of a lot of players and rebuild entirely.

The team has maybe 3-5 pieces that are worthwhile keeping while the rest should be shipped off for picks and cap relief.

The Sharks should be sellers today and selling everything. Yet all we see are some minor sales to get some late round draft picks.

I would consider Boyle and Burns top flight PMD's when they were acquired. Burns still is. However, they've never been supported by depth in the PMD area and it always seems to be primarily on the right side.

The Sharks didn't need to sell everything today. They just needed to sell the impending free agents. For the most part, they did that. The only one I feel had any value kept was Niemi. Everyone that most people would even consider selling has a contract beyond this year and can still be sold at the draft for a good price depending on the terms of their movement clauses.

I think people need to temper their expectation of what Marleau and/or Thornton would actually bring in. If their clauses are full which seems likely, the return CAN be good but it can also suck depending on how limited the options are.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Missing the playoffs is the absolute best thing that can happen to this team right now, it will be the only chance of sweeping changes in the off-season.

If that doesn't serve as a catalyst for real change, nothing will.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
I would consider Boyle and Burns top flight PMD's when they were acquired. Burns still is. However, they've never been supported by depth in the PMD area and it always seems to be primarily on the right side.

The Sharks didn't need to sell everything today. They just needed to sell the impending free agents. For the most part, they did that. The only one I feel had any value kept was Niemi. Everyone that most people would even consider selling has a contract beyond this year and can still be sold at the draft for a good price depending on the terms of their movement clauses.

I think people need to temper their expectation of what Marleau and/or Thornton would actually bring in. If their clauses are full which seems likely, the return CAN be good but it can also suck depending on how limited the options are.

Iginla netted a pretty good return considering he pretty much got to decide where he wanted to go.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Missing the playoffs is the absolute best thing that can happen to this team right now, it will be the only chance of sweeping changes in the off-season.

Which is why this team will end up squeaking in, then get eliminated in the 1st round. :shakehead

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Iginla netted a pretty good return considering he pretty much got to decide where he wanted to go.

There are certainly some examples of good ones. I don't deny that. There are some bad examples too so it's a fairly wide spectrum when it comes to guys with full NMC's. It's going to depend on the guy's preferences and what the team is willing to offer. If all they have are scraps, that's all we're likely to get.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005

It's a terrible feeling, rooting against your own team making it to the playoffs, but I'm just about at the same point. I just have a bad feeling that barely making it into the playoffs and loosing in the first round again just won't be enough to force ownership to make changes.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Which is why this team will end up squeaking in, then get eliminated in the 1st round. :shakehead

OMG the 11 year playoff streak continues! The horror.

Why don't I see Detroit fans begging to become the Oilers. Just a thought.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Because they know they can draft the players needed to continue to be competitive in the later rounds.

And they also have a GM that will make a big splash of need be in the free agency to fix the holes in the line up.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff

Who's begging to be the Oilers? All I'm saying is I personally don't believe this particular line up has what it takes to win in the finals or even make a deep run. Do you? If yes, well then good for you. If not, whats the harm in not making the playoffs and possibly getting a top 10 pick. Not saying we try to tank. But instead, we're trying to win and we're sinking. I think thats worse.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

It is not hard to understand the frustration of a Sharks fan. Heck I have been a fan only for the last 5 years and while I am not as upset as a lot of the guys who have followed the Sharks from the very beginning I still do feel the pain of the Sharks recent suckage. I am not sure why you don't see that.

The reason we are all here is because we are Sharks fan. We want to see the Sharks succeed and win the cup. However, there is no chance with the current roster. I don't care much if we make or miss the playoffs this year. Why? Because we don't have a chance making a cup run. If I thought we had even a small chance in winning the cup this year, you bet your balls I would want to make the playoffs. I also think missing the playoffs gives us a better draft pick. Which will help us get back on track quicker with our refresh/rebuild/whateverthe****DWwantstocallit.

Also, comparing us to Detroit or its fans is pointless. They have won 4 Stanley cups over their 22 year playoff run. We have .. 0. Heck, we have 0 SC appearances. They have 6 appearances over that 22 year stretch.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Who's begging to be the Oilers? All I'm saying is I personally don't believe this particular line up has what it takes to win in the finals or even make a deep run. Do you? If yes, well then good for you. If not, whats the harm in not making the playoffs and possibly getting a top 10 pick. Not saying we try to tank. But instead, we're trying to win and we're sinking. I think thats worse.

The month of February and our habit of playing down to inferior teams say otherwise..Oh and icing Irwin/Hannan

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
I used to believe this too. But repeated failures and continuous observation of his play eventually changed my view. Many of you are probably too young to have seen real superstars like Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman and Messier who raised the play of everyone around them. Thornton reminds me more of Eric Lindros.

C'mon now. Joe turned Cheechoo into a Rocket winner, Seto into a 30+ goal scorer and had both Heatley AND Marleau scoring 40 goals on the same line in the same season. Doesn't raise the level of play of those around him? That is all he has ever done.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I don't necessarily feel strongly about the Sharks making the playoffs or not. I just want there to be a direction this team is going, a plan to reach success. All I am getting is this BS meaningless PR rhetoric of refresh / retool. Yay, DW said we are going to refresh and retool, and hey look the roster is not identical, its been retooled! Good job DW!

Is DW saying this is how we are going to reach a cup, working depth moves and slowly working in low potential prospects? Whether it be an attempt at a short path or a long path, just make it clear what the plan is to get there. When teams go all out at TD, fans have hope in the present. When teams sell it all at TD, fans have hope for the future. When a lower end to middling team doesn't make strong moves either way, fans just have frustration.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because they know they can draft the players needed to continue to be competitive in the later rounds.

And they also have a GM that will make a big splash of need be in the free agency to fix the holes in the line up.

Like signing Stephen Weiss? Oh the Sharks don't draft well in the later rounds? News to me.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I disagree that it should've been blown up. I think DW should've had his team's back and improved the roster the best he could. A top 6 forward like Vrbata and a top 4 dman like Niskanen or Stralman would've done a world of good. He had like $8m in cap space before wasting it on Hannan, Brown, and Scott. He probably could've opened up more cap space too if he wanted to.

With you here.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I find it hilarious when people blame GM's for not signing UFAs.

Edit: especially top UFAs to THIS team that have no prior association with them.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I disagree that it should've been blown up. I think DW should've had his team's back and improved the roster the best he could. A top 6 forward like Vrbata and a top 4 dman like Niskanen or Stralman would've done a world of good. He had like $8m in cap space before wasting it on Hannan, Brown, and Scott. He probably could've opened up more cap space too if he wanted to.

I think that DW has an internal cap this year so the amount of official cap space is irrelevant. Vrbata costs $5M, Niskanen costs $5.75, and Stralman costs $4.5. Scott costs about the same as an AHL call up, Hannan costs $1M (or about 300 - 350k more than a call up) , and Brown costs 1.15M. You wouldn't save much by not signing Scott, hannan or Brown since you'd have to replace them with someone. You're looking at ~10M + around 1M (for one of Brown or Scott) vs less than $3M. I understand the frustration but if DW is operating with an internal cap, I think you have to be realistic about who he might have potentially been able to sign.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Ron Wilson will have won as many series in 4 years behind the San Jose bench as Todd McLellan has in 7

This made me sad for TM the other day. One of those stats that makes you knee-jerk into questioning a coach.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

With you here.

This isn't a video game. DW has people to answer to, people who control the purse strings and it's quite obvious that these shiny pieces were not coming here because of those purse strings. If a team has a TV deal that nets them less than half of their in-state rivals and less than one quarter of the top earners in the league, it's unrealistic to expect a team with a profitability oriented lean to go buy shiny new parts for their bucket.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I find it hilarious when people blame GM's for not signing UFAs.

Edit: especially top UFAs to THIS team that have no prior association with them.

There won't be any excuse this offseason, the Sharks have a metric ****ton of cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad