Fire Doug Wilson

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Don't want Williams. Kings fans will tell you how terrible he is throughout the regular season. We don't need that right now. Not even if he's a playoff freak. But he's going to get picked up by serious contenders.

Beleskey is having a breakout year, and I don't follow him regularly, but he's not necessarily projecting to keep this trend going. There's no reason to think he's a legit top 6 and certainly not the answer to our problems.

Tlusty is a maybe, but I'm only going on his stats. Don't watch CAR much.

Soderberg - another center? and 3c? I thought we're talking top 6 (assuming Hertl is locked in the 3C)

Frolik - ehh, maybe. Not sure he's the answer though.

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is either at this point. :shakehead

I'd be ecstatic if we signed just ONE of those players. Ward is available too, but aside from Williams (who I do have a lot of respect for), I was trying to go with young guns.

Tlusty would be my ideal - the guy is balanced and would fulfill the LW spot.

Tlusty - Hertl - Wingels is a great 3rd line.

Goodrow - Tierney - Smith is a fantastic 4th line.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
There won't be any excuse this offseason, the Sharks have a metric ****ton of cap space.

Is that all it takes to get a UFA? A lot of cap space? News to me. Show me the last decent UFA that signed here that wasn't already a Shark.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I'd be ecstatic if we signed just ONE of those players. Ward is available too, but aside from Williams (who I do have a lot of respect for), I was trying to go with young guns.

Tlusty would be my ideal - the guy is balanced and would fulfill the LW spot.

Tlusty - Hertl - Wingels is a great 3rd line.

Goodrow - Tierney - Smith is a fantastic 4th line.

I get what you're saying, but we were discussing top 6 forwards and top 4 d men.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Someone legitimately capable of being a constant top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman that will make a difference for this team.

Your answer would be Rob Blake and that's probably about it in the DW era at least.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Your answer would be Rob Blake and that's probably about it in the DW era at least.

Thats right, I forgot about Blake. I don't know this for a fact, but I remember hearing he wanted to stay in California so options were limited.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I find it hilarious when people blame GM's for not signing UFAs.

Edit: especially top UFAs to THIS team that have no prior association with them.

It is the single way GM's can add assets to the team without giving up assets. Something Doug Wilson SHOULD be doing given he is saying he will not give up assets

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yah that helped us when we offered the same or more money to both Niedermeyer and Chara.

So we had niedermyers brother? And the sharks were willing to give the captaincy to chara?

Those 2 didn't sign or not sign because of money.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
There won't be any excuse this offseason, the Sharks have a metric ****ton of cap space.

Sharks sign a top UFA that does not work out, they will be carrying salary while the guy plays for a different team. DW and the Sharks ownership group don't roll this way and said so.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks sign a top UFA that does not work out, they will be carrying salary while the guy plays for a different team. DW and the Sharks ownership group don't roll this way and said so.

Yet they're willing to carry salary on Jason Demers. I don't really see the difference on whether you're carrying salary for a homegrown asset or one you signed as a UFA. Sometimes, you have to take risks on the higher end players outside your org. I don't mind them being averse to most free agent signings but every now and again when the right guy is available, they should throw money at them to fill a spot.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think it is the GM's job to change the perception of why UFA's think that a team is NOT an attractive team to go to. There will always be a reason why a UFA may not want to sign with a specific team; term, travel, AAV, etc. But the GM needs to be able to do a good job selling the UFA on their team. I don't think DW has done a good job with that.

Also, If they cannot do that, then the GM needs to be a wizard in the draft and hit home-runs more often than not. Drafting an elite player is really the best shot for a team as such players do NOT hit UFA anyway. DW has not drafted an elite player during his tenure as GM. He has drafted ok with us getting some good players who would be useful complementary players on a cup winning team. But no one close to an elite level.

This is just my general outlook on how a GM can build a team that will be very competitive and can have success at winning the SC. I think DW has done an average job in drafting (below average before the last 2 years) and an average job with free agency. I don't think he is any more than an average GM at this point in his tenure as a Sharks GM.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
It is the single way GM's can add assets to the team without giving up assets. Something Doug Wilson SHOULD be doing given he is saying he will not give up assets

Free agents have a choice. It's not as simple as giving them some available cap money and you get him. The fact is many top UFA's just don't sign in California, period. The oilers have cap space, why don't they sign a bunch of elite UFA's? Because it's Edmonton? Ok, well as great as California is for many players it's not an attractive place to play. Whether it's proximity to their hometown or misconception that hockey doesn't thrive here, there's some reason. Hopefully that changes soon, but you can't always fault a GM when we can't sign a top end free agent, there are just too many variables.

Last edited:

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I think it is the GM's job to change the perception of why UFA's think that a team is NOT an attractive team to go to. There will always be a reason why a UFA may not want to sign with a specific team; term, travel, AAV, etc. But the GM needs to be able to do a good job selling the UFA on their team. I don't think DW has done a good job with that.

Also, If they cannot do that, then the GM needs to be a wizard in the draft and hit home-runs more often than not. Drafting an elite player is really the best shot for a team as such players do NOT hit UFA anyway. DW has not drafted an elite player during his tenure as GM. He has drafted ok with us getting some good players who would be useful complementary players on a cup winning team. But no one close to an elite level.

This is just my general outlook on how a GM can build a team that will be very competitive and can have success at winning the SC. I think DW has done an average job in drafting (below average before the last 2 years) and an average job with free agency. I don't think he is any more than an average GM at this point in his tenure as a Sharks GM.

I can't disagree with most of this. It is his job (and his staff's) to make this an attractive destination, but there's still that human factor of the free agents that is beyond any GM's control. You can do a song a dance and do it well, but in the end its always up to the player & his agent.

As far as drafting goes, I do wish we took some risks with the top end elite guys that maybe don't have a well rounded game yet, but excel in their sole dimension. Goldobin can be that though.

For the record, I'm not a huge DW supporter or opponent. I tend to think its a waste of energy to be extreme either way without enough evidence to support either side. I could be biased towards a viewpoint on him, but without knowing enough facts its hard to have a definitive opinion.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Free agents have a choice. It's not as simple as giving them some available cap money and you get him. The fact is many top UFA's just don't sign in California, period. The oilers have cap space, why don't they sign a bunch of elite UFA's? Because it's Edmonton? Ok, well as great as California is for many players it's not an attractive place to play. Whether it's proximity to their hometown or misconception that hockey doesn't thrive here, there's some reason. Hopefully that changes soon, but you can't always fault a GM when we can't sign a top end free agent, there are just too many variables.

As much as free agency is out of his control, it simply means that more emphasis must be placed on converting your trades and draft picks. The lack of free agency signings isn't a good excuse for not icing a team that yields the results expected of the franchise.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
As much as free agency is out of his control, it simply means that more emphasis must be placed on converting your trades and draft picks. The lack of free agency signings isn't a good excuse for not icing a team that yields the results expected of the franchise.

I agree

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009

I agree, but I think you have to credit DW for his ability to get talent he drafted or traded for to sign long-term deals at a discount. I have an issue with him handing out NTC's a little too willy nilly, but if I'm going to criticize his inability to land UFA's I have to simultaneously praise his ability to retain players at discounts.

JT, PM, Pavs, Vlasic.. all took significant discounts when signing their contracts. DW's probably the best in the league at landing hometown discounts.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
So we had niedermyers brother? And the sharks were willing to give the captaincy to chara?

Those 2 didn't sign or not sign because of money.

Pretty sure Chara wanted to play in the East too.

That was like 06-07 so my memory might be spotty.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
FA market for the most part requires an overpayment at when compared to developed talent. Sharks aren't in a position to pick up a significant FA. Too many holes, mainly on the blue line, the Sharks need to have some draft picks come through first.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Is that all it takes to get a UFA? A lot of cap space? News to me. Show me the last decent UFA that signed here that wasn't already a Shark.

Preaching to the choir here. I'm pretty sure once DW gets canned this offseason we'd find a GM with the cajones to make a deal or two on July 1st.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Preaching to the choir here. I'm pretty sure once DW gets canned this offseason we'd find a GM with the cajones to make a deal or two on July 1st.

Regardless of my opinion, I literally think there is zero chance DW is fired this off-season. I don't think, no matter what the fans think, it's even remotely being considered.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Regardless of my opinion, I literally think there is zero chance DW is fired this off-season. I don't think, no matter what the fans think, it's even remotely being considered.

Any organization that would make business decisions based on what fans think is one sorry organization. It would become the worst of bottom feeders

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I still think that he needs to be removed from the operations side of things. He's only accountable to Plattner and that seems like a recipe for trouble. He should have a Greg Jamison or Brian Burke type around keeping him in check.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I still think that he needs to be removed from the operations side of things. He's only accountable to Plattner and that seems like a recipe for trouble. He should have a Greg Jamison or Brian Burke type around keeping him in check.

What have another GM waiting in the wings? Hockey advisors are great, but are typically temporary things when the owner can't properly evaluate the GMs decisions, and wants to make changes.

What you propose is just one step to firing DW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad