GDT: Finland vs Germany

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Maybe because the Finnish anthem can actually be traced down to being and old drinking song for German secondary school graduates :D

They had to come up with something.

To be honest, that song isn't all that similar to the anthem though.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Everyone knows that Sibelius's Finlandia should be the national song. In 1917 there was plan that Finland will be a monarchy and get a King from german family, but it was canceled, even tho it already went official and technically existed for 3 months or so. Maybe this has something to do why the song is that. Maybe theres more to that. But everyone knows that Sibelius - Finlandia is far better, even for both experts and people, and its classier, just all around more respected song. And its made by Finnish person. Its just matter of time when its changed, its talked about but alot but no one does it for some reason.

In many occasions, it is used instead of national song :

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Everyone knows that Sibelius's Finlandia should be the national song. In 1917 there was plan that Finland will be a monarchy and get a King from german family, but it was canceled, even tho it already went official and technically existed for 3 months or so. Maybe this has something to do why the song is that. Maybe theres more to that. But everyone knows that Sibelius - Finlandia is far better, even for both experts and people, and its classier, just all around more respected song. Its just matter of time when its changed, its talked about but alot but no one does it for some reason.

Might be too complex of a song to be a national anthem though. The present anthem is easy to sing along with and easily recognizable to an audience, just like most national anthems. They aren't necessarily the best songs, just the catchiest and easiest to follow. Easy to play, also.

I doubt we will ever see it being changed, there would be no point. We've had this for over a hundred years now.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Might be too complex of a song to be a national anthem though. The present anthem is easy to sing and easily recognizable to an audience, just like most national anthems. They aren't necessarily the best songs, just the catchiest and easiest to follow. Easy to play, also.

I doubt we will ever see it being changed, there would be no point. We've had this for over a hundred years now.
In my last post theres solid 3min "anthem" version. But while u might be right, im still going to bet it will be changed at some point just because I can and theres alot of support for it.

The words are much better also on it. Muuch. And the melody also, cold shiver almost guaranted.

Reactions: heksagon

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Against Canada Finland needs to hope that they trust too much in their kids.. Some of them are really not ready for this kind of tournament and it shows. They are nervous and make junior level mistakes. Their NHLers really have woken up these two last games and it is not the same Canada that Finland will face in the finals as they faced earlier..

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
In my last post theres solid 3min "anthem" version. But while u might be right, im still going to bet it will be changed at some point just because I can and theres alot of support for it.

The words are much better also on it. Muuch. And the melody also, cold shiver almost guaranted.

I think it works best with an orchestra. To me, it's too "epic" of a song to just be used in a casual event like a hockey match. You have to let it sink in and appreciate the full 8 to 9 minutes of it, because it literally tells a story.

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
I think it works best with an orchestra. To me, it's too "epic" of a song to just be used in a casual event like a hockey match. You have to let it sink in and appreciate the full 8 to 9 minutes of it, because it literally tells a story.

... so Finlandia is the DaveArt of symphonic music?

Reactions: BullLund

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
I don't know why so many people in here talk about someone being salty. Nevertheless I still have the probably biased impression that the better playing team lost today. But you can't win if you don't score. As easy as that. Add a soft goal and one really bad play to it and you lose.

But if we can keep up like this, we still have a chance on a medal. We'll see.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't know why so many people in here talk about someone being salty. Nevertheless I still have the probably biased impression that the better playing team lost today. But you can't win if you don't score. As easy as that. Add a soft goal and one really bad play to it and you lose.

The better team did lose today. It’s not bias at all but that the way it goes.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017

That's the thing about one-off games. The better team can easily lose.

I'm not sure we would see this Finnish team contending for gold if the tournament was set up like the Stanley Cup playoffs, with a best of 7 series. But they can pull off that one strategic win, with the opponent not being able to make adjustments. That's what Jalonen relies on. He's really good at crafting strategies that can win those crucial games, often by just barely hanging onto a lead. Could it be repeated 3-4 more times? Maybe not, but under this tournament structure, he doesn't need to.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
The only thing that matters is the result. Good tournament by our boys.

Ohtamaa got fist to the tip of his jaw - no dive

Eisenshmidt is great name, sounds like a rammstein song

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
The only thing that matters is the result. Good tournament by our boys.

Ohtamaa got fist to the tip of his jaw - no dive

Eisenshmidt is great name, sounds like a rammstein song

I think it means something akin to "iron smith", so it's a pretty great name for sure.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Winland has not lost in regulation. The only loss was a shootout lottery vs KZK, non-important game and you pretty much never can win 9 games out of 9 in this tourney.

WIN-CAN final game again, getting used to that ;) Great job by both of them getting there!

Last edited:

member 305909

Just goes to show how much Finnish hockey has gone forward. Usually when Finland wins a semifinal-game they are the brave underdogs.

It feels confusing to win in the semis when almost everybody expects you to win.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Might be too complex of a song to be a national anthem though. The present anthem is easy to sing along with and easily recognizable to an audience, just like most national anthems. They aren't necessarily the best songs, just the catchiest and easiest to follow. Easy to play, also.

It can not be changed because it was never chosen. Finland has no the present anthem, just a particular melody that is habitually used more often than others. But also those other melodies such as Finlandia are present anthems just as much because they are also being used.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
The fins played like we did in Round robin.
Score early and Park the bus in front of the goal.

And they deserved that. They made their shots count and did their best.
But then again we did not score. We had so many chances and could not put it in the net.

Really reminds me of our football national team.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Usually you‘re in deep trouble if Määttä is one of your best defenders.
Kudos to Jalonen, who turns water into wine.
Complete BS. Just ask Pittsburgh about their two most recent Stanley Cup championships wins.

Määttä is a very underrated defenceman. When he has been healthy, he has been always very steady at his own end. Sure he is not great offensively, but even that area in his play is usually a bit above average. He has been clearly the best defenceman for Finland in this tournament. He will most likely be in team Finland even in the Olympics next year, because of how steady he is at his own end.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Finnish coaching is outstanding. They have some serious talent as well in the NHL, a few years back I remember saying Finland was going to be a force in best on best hockey in 2022.

I have no doubt they’ll be in medal contention at the next Olympics. Truly a major hockey power with a culture that loves hockey. It’s nice to see people who care about hockey this much. Best sport on earth and the ultimate team sport.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

You are really wrong. It will never be changed. Way too much tradition already connected to it. Traditional things shouldn’t be changed too easily. Finnish people generally like the anthem and it makes people generally feel sentimental. Just because you and some other marginal amount of Finnish people don’t like the present anthem and would like to change it, doesn’t really matter, as long as the majority of the nation feels that it is the only correct national anthem for Finland.

Finlandia is absolutely great, but it wasn’t Finland’s anthem for the last hundred of years, and there’s absolutely no reason to change that, just because everything needs to be changed nowadays for some people.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
You are really wrong. It will never be changed. Way too much tradition already connected to it. Traditional things shouldn’t be changed too easily. Finnish people generally like the anthem and it makes people generally feel sentimental. Just because you and some other marginal amount of Finnish people don’t like the present anthem and would like to change it, doesn’t really matter, as long as the majority of the nation feels that it is the only correct national anthem for Finland.

Finlandia is absolutely great, but it wasn’t Finland’s anthem for the last hundred of years, and there’s absolutely no reason to change that, just because everything needs to be changed nowadays for some people.
I like the current anthem, I just like Finlandia more.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hopefully we will hear some Finnish anthem soon enough.

Not Penny Hill theme song during a game where we lose to Team Canada.

But anyway, Finlandia -hymn is great. I can sing it in Karaoke without actually raping it (based on feedback of audiences of several instances, and few times actually making some ladies cry). I don't get it why it is widely considered someway hard to sing. It's harder to remember lyrics than it is to sing it decently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad