GDT: Finland vs Germany

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Two players that should be big advantage for Germany were their biggest disadvantage.

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Let's cry, we are in the final again :( Hockey is all about winning, how tf Germany deserved to win if they can't score to save their life? Finland did the necessary and have the best goalie in the tournament (newsflash, goalie is pretty big part of the team).

Finland plays brutal hockey with our 5th tier players, we don't even have our best players playing in Europe.
I agree with you Goalie comment but the other part:
Neither have the Swiss, the Germans, the Swedes, the Czechs, the Slovaks,..
And even if they had, you deserve a win by your play on the ice not the team you *could* have iced.

Reactions: Kleefeld and Tmu84

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Don’t know why people are hating on Finland. Hard working… defensively minded team. Going to make it tough for the Canadians tomorrow…. Just because they aren’t flashy, doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be playing tomorrow.
You don't need to be flashy to play good hockey.

Reactions: VP and 13to40

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Let's cry, we are in the final again :( Hockey is all about winning, how tf Germany deserved to win if they can't score to save their life? Finland did the necessary and have the best goalie in the tournament (newsflash, goalie is pretty big part of the team).

Finland plays brutal hockey with our 5th tier players, we don't even have our best players playing in Europe. Jalonen knows what it takes to win and we're in the final again.

I wouldn't say it was a lucky win, it was a coinflip. But the above is just "whoever wins deserved to win because they won" circular logic. It's possible to argue the win wasn't lucky without denying the very existence of lucky wins, lol.

Anyway, close game, bounces didn't go our way. On to the next one.

Reactions: Kleefeld

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Finland Winland.

It's not pretty but it works. Somehow I doubt that Canada is going to allow Finland to just hang onto a 1-goal lead throughout the whole game, though. They'll have to step up, but I'm not sure if the team has another gear in them. The individual parts just aren't that good, outside of the goalie. Individual skill does matter past a certain point, and I think facing Canada is that point.

I had a feeling that if there was ever a time for Germany to upset Finland in a meaningful game, this was going to be it. But it just wasn't meant to happen, I guess. Maybe at a later date.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
You don't need to be flashy to play good hockey.
Tarasenko, Kempe, Hischier and friends can play good street hockey in Marbella or somewhere while we are in the final. I can't understand the amount of salt here, you do the necessary and move on.

There are no style points, only gold matters. Jalonen is here to win, everything happens for a reason. Finns trusted their defence and Olkinuora while Germans were fighting for their life, and as we can see it was enough.

Reactions: VP and king89

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, Germany played our style game quite a bit better than we did, hockey is something like that. But to win you do need to score. Anyway, I really hope that they would rise to be a top nation, that would be so great for hockey!

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
A good team wins even with a bad game ;)
Agreed and that is something that we Germans should be very aware off. I mean, our soccer teams of the past were once very successfull at being the worst good enough to land them titles.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Finland Winland.

It's not pretty but it works. Somehow I doubt that Canada is going to allow Finland to just hang onto a 1-goal lead throughout the whole game, though. They'll have to step up, but I'm not sure if the team has another gear in them. The individual parts just aren't that good, outside of the goalie.

I had a feeling that if there was ever a time for Germany to upset Finland in a meaningful game, this was going to be it. But it just wasn't meant to happen, I guess.

If I had to predict Finland vs Canada based on this game, Canada is going to crush the Finns. The individual skill of the Canadians is just so high that they are going to convert those chances the Finns allowed the Germans into goals.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I agree with you Goalie comment but the other part:
Neither have the Swiss, the Germans, the Swedes, the Czechs, the Slovaks,..
And even if they had, you deserve a win by your play on the ice not the team you *could* have iced.
Its good 2-1 win, if you can score only 1 goal, what are the odds youll win? You are basically complaining that Finland won playing trap scoring only 2 goals, but your own team was also playing full trap and scored only 1. In every 1 goal game basically the trailing team goes on pressure like that in last period and other teams defends their lead. Some people act like they saw this for first time.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Tarasenko, Kempe, Hischier and friends can play good street hockey in Marbella or somewhere while we are in the final. I can't understand the amount of salt here, you do the necessary and move on.

There are no style points, only gold matters. Jalonen is here to win, everything happens for a reason. Finns trusted their defence and Olkinuora while Germans were fighting for their life, and as we can see it was enough.
Sure whatever, but imho the odds were heavily in Germany's favor but we got lucky because our golie performed well and Germany lacked finishing ability.

keup257

Oct 4, 2010
Lower Saxony
As a German, I just have to admit that the right team won. Maybe not the more deserving team but the more efficient one. Germany had good opportunities but did not use them. Finland defended well.
The incident at the end was, from my point of view, not a penalty for both players. Only problem is the stoppage in play.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Boring? Ugly? Maybe so, but very effective.

Well, not boring or ugly for me - I find it quite beautiful and exciting how we squeeze everything out of yet again mediocre team and fight our hearts out relying on our system.

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Its good 2-1 win, if you can score only 1 goal, what are the odds youll win? You are basically complaining that Finland won playing trap scoring only 2 goals, but your own team was also playing full trap and scored only 1. In every 1 goal game basically the trailing team goes on pressure like that in last period and other teams defends their lead. Some people act like they saw this for first time.

Huh? Where did I complain about the Finish win? I did exactly the opposite, I said it would be unfair to belittle it as being lucky. I just don't like this "this is our Z-team argument", no matter who spins it.

Reactions: Kleefeld

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
If I had to predict Finland vs Canada based on this game, Canada is going to crush the Finns. The individual skill of the Canadians is just so high that they are going to convert those chances the Finns allowed the Germans into goals.

The party is probably over for Finland. They made it as far as they could go with a team like this.

Don't want to take anything away from the teams that faced Finland, but this is like Finland's D-team or something, realistically-speaking, and we don't have that much depth in the first place.

It's just that Jalonen has a tendency to take scraps, put them together, and make it work. This is really Jalonen's magic that is allowing this team to be competing for gold.

Reactions: RageQuit77

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Yes, Finns play style is super boring to watch. Even as a fan. Team lacks superstar talent and relies on goalie and team defense.

But I'm sure none of those players care how it happens if theyre back to back champions tomorrow.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Those Pakarinen comments really bothered me. Koivu and commentator said smart plays not hitting, its freaking semi final and your not doing your A game he should have trashed those Germans. Thats why Finns gave the game to Germany afraid to play to the max.

In any case momentum, hockey gods, bounces and referees all point out to Canada win. You need to improve all the time in this tournament and none done it better than Canada. They are on constant upswing trajectory and havent played their best yeat. In world juniors Sweden peaks in the round robin and flattens out in playoffs Canada has done the excact opposite

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I bet tomorrow's game will not be anything like this. Canada is not as organized and disciplined as Germany and their intense and aggressive style is better for us than Germany's highly organized version of our own playstyle.

Reactions: Huokaus

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
IMO, Canada’s team this year is probably the closest one to Finland’s grinding style of hockey. Canada held the highest scoring team (Russia) to one goal in the QF. Don’t know why so many Finns in this thread are putting the cart before the horse. Canada is a very good team.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Did Finland fans think their team defended well? To me it seemed like a gift to Germany how they completely gave up their own blue line and let our guys walk right in. It's not like they totally clogged up the middle either, Germany found a bunch of soft spots. Worked in the end but it seems like Finland could've spared their goalie some trouble since whenever opponents put pressure on the German breakout this tournament, it wasn't pretty.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
The party is probably over for Finland. They made it as far as they could go with a team like this.

This team looks pretty much like the one we had in 2019 - and then we beat in succession Sweden, Russia and Canada, each full of NHL talent. This year's Canada is far weaker than those teams. So I do think that we have a good chance of winning tomorrow.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
IMO, Canada’s team this year is probably the closest one to Finland’s grinding style of hockey. Canada held the highest scoring team (Russia) to one goal in the QF. Don’t know why so many Finns in this thread are putting the cart before the horse. Canada is a very good team.
No one is. You guys are coming in here saying GG ez. It’s embarassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad