GDT: Finland vs Germany

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
WIN-CAN final game again, getting used to that ;) Great job by both of them getting there!

CAN-CAN'T

FIN-WIN

I hope.

Canada is the favorite with that 4 hours more rest and Finland once again accepts the underdog position.

I'll root for Germany in the bronze game but German players are basically going to bed and once they wake up they got a game. That 4 hours more rest for USA matters, but hopefully Germans want the bronze a lot more than USA.

Reactions: Ippenator

Nosferatu

Nov 10, 2016
The fins played like we did in Round robin.
Score early and Park the bus in front of the goal.

And they deserved that. They made their shots count and did their best.
But then again we did not score. We had so many chances and could not put it in the net.

Really reminds me of our football national team.
It looked liked they parked the bus before the game started. The second period was good for the finns but in the thirs they parked the bus

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Me too. Just not as the anthem. Too complicated for an anthem. And also why change a hundred year tradition, if the tradition itself is anyway good too?
I would only change an 100 year tradition if it was purely for better and in case of national anthem, also even more national and our own. It would be change for better in this case imo, and its not like making a new song. I rest my case on this one, cheers.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
CAN-CAN'T

FIN-WIN

I hope.

Canada is the favorite with that 4 hours more rest and Finland once again accepts the underdog position.

I'll root for Germany in the bronze game but German players are basically going to bed and once they wake up they got a game. That 4 hours more rest for USA matters, but hopefully Germans want the bronze a lot more than USA.

This is so f'cking wrong with the current setup - semifinals should be Friday night and medal games Sunday - no back-to-back games ffs

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I think the fins win it tomorrow.

The canadians lost twice against the finnish playstyle.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Truly a major hockey power with a culture that loves hockey. It’s nice to see people who care about hockey this much. Best sport on earth and the ultimate team sport.

It feels like Canada and Finland have something in common with that and with other countries it's a bit different. Hockey culture is more dominant inside FIN & CAN than in other countries and hockey is the clear #1 sport, thus FIN & CAN deserve all the success on the international level they are getting.

RUS, CZE, SUI, SWE and also GER each pretty much have soccer as #1 or at least equal with hockey. Slovakia is probably the same with those countries and I think that Latvia has basketball as equal. Then there's USA, well I'm not even going to start with that to keep the post short.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland's got a player named Björninen?

That the greatest Fenno-Swedish mash-up name ever.

Similar thing is when someone has a clear Finnish word as a surname but they have to add the letter W there for some reason instead of V. W is not a very natural letter in the Finnish language. It is in the alphabets, but it gets people's attention the same way like a funny name such as Björninen does. It sounds or seems rather (have to see it in writing) just as funny as Björninen does in my opinion.

Petteri Wirtanen at eliteprospects.com

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is so f'cking wrong with the current setup - semifinals should be Friday night and medal games Sunday - no back-to-back games ffs

They gotta start the entire tournament (group stage) on Thursday instead of Friday. They can keep the same schedule and add 1 break day in between semi & medal day, but they want the spectators from the tournament ending weekend and they are greedy with that. They should go sport first but they don't. It's wrong. At least that's my opinion why they do it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Goaltending is a big part of a team

Coaching! Hopefully Jukka Jalonen gets to stay for one more year since 2022 season will be special for Finns. The Olympics and Finland are hosting the WHC. This should attract few star players as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
They gotta start the entire tournament (group stage) on Thursday instead of Friday. They can keep the same schedule and add 1 break day in between semi & medal day, but they want the spectators from the tournament ending weekend and they are greedy with that. They should go sport first but they don't. It's wrong. At least that's my opinion why they do it.

Yep, it's a disgrace that the medal games are scheduled like they are - I'd say that less than 36 hours between semifinals and medal games is not acceptable

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, it should be re-scheduled - it's an absolute joke that the most important games, medal games are scheduled like they are - I'd say that less than 36 hours between semifinals and medal games is not acceptable

Yes it's like IIHF cares for the entire tournament who wins, but then all of a sudden when the tournament is nearing it's end, it doesn't matter anymore who wins. Let's play the lottery balls.

My feeling is that they won't change this scheduling in a long time. It's one of the stupid & unfair things, similar to the time when in U20 the group winners would go straight to semifinals and skip the QF round. Speaking of U20, I'm pretty sure that they do this tournament scheduling in U20 tournament as well.

Reactions: THE JAM

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Goaltending is a big part of a team
But if every other part of the team was worse than the opponents, the worse team wins lol
Similar thing is when someone has a clear Finnish word as a surname but they have to add the letter W there for some reason instead of V. W is not a very natural letter in the Finnish language. It is in the alphabets, but it gets people's attention the same way like a funny name such as Björninen does. It sounds or seems rather (have to see it in writing) just as funny as Björninen does in my opinion.

Petteri Wirtanen at eliteprospects.com
Wirtanen is the original spelling tho, W was commonly used instead of ”V” in original Finnish alphabet.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Wirtanen is the original spelling tho, W was commonly used instead of ”V” in original Finnish alphabet.

You have a point there, but I'll say that nowadays it sounds pretty weird. For me it does anyways.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I have never in my life seen a team get this far in the WC's more undeservingly, i would have rather seen Germany win this tbh, only way for me to be satisfied is if they pull a gold medal out their rectums tomorrow but i don't think that will happen, GG Germany you played your hearts out, untill next time.

One bad game and 8 wins isn't exactly undeserving though, ok maybe two with the Kazakhstan loss, but that was very early in the tournament. Meanwhile Canada is in the finals after playing so poorly that a quarterfinal spot wasn't in their own hands. Finland plays bad when they are the favorites, I'm not at all concerned that tomorrow will be a similar game.

Reactions: mattihp

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Just goes to show how much Finnish hockey has gone forward. Usually when Finland wins a semifinal-game they are the brave underdogs.

It feels confusing to win in the semis when almost everybody expects you to win.

I think that's one reason why we didn't have our best effort and timing yesterday - this is a very average team but it can perform miracles with Jalonen's system, and most naturally as the often defending under dog. Now we were slight favourites in a best of one game against a highly organized and disciplined and often cautiously playing opponent, tasting our own medicine... Today Canada will come on all cylinders at us very aggressively and actively - and that style will suit us so much better than the German system.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think that's one reason why we didn't have our best effort and timing yesterday - this is a very average team but it can perform miracles with Jalonen's system, and most naturally as the often defending under dog. Now we were slight favourites in a best of one game against a highly organized and disciplined and often cautiously playing opponent, tasting our own medicine... Today Canada will come on all cylinders at us very aggressively and actively - and that style will suit us so much better than the German system.
Exactly. Finland excels when it gets to be the reactive team, tailoring its game plan to neuter the opponent's strenghts. Last night, Germany was the reactive team - Söderholm had obviously studied Jalonen's plan thoroughly and knew where its weak spots lie, and he had further tweaked Germany's style to give Finland a run for its money.

In tonight's gold-medal game, Finland gets to be reactive again, as Canada would simply have to completely throw out their current play style if they wanted to fine-tune it to suit Finland's. So it'll be a team that plays free-wheeling offense against a team that has a defensive system tighter than a nun's...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad