Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The wind scarf that increases your ATB to start is pretty fun.

Don't entirely know how to phrase this question, but is there a way to change the battle system? Basically I like the battle system from FFX. Is there a way to change it to something similar to that, rather than an automatic thing?
Don’t think so. You can either use the new battle system or a simplified command version.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Game took a real turn in difficulty at the train graveyard.

Im really going to have to start leaning into the more obscure/abilities materia I think.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And you're basing that on what?
I would finish the game before asking that question, if I were you. He's actually right.

Pretty much captures my thoughts exactly. It's really moronic that they did this.

While I'm debating whether or not I would still consider this installment great regardless, I'm no longer optimistic about the overall project's future and feel like this is going to play out just like Game of Thrones did, personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgotusername

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Mr. T has a terrible aim. Miceal J. Fox could shoot better than him.

Also:

The deaths of Biggs, Wedge and Jessie straight up bummed me out. Jessie's in particular was quite sad. It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I would finish the game before asking that question, if I were you. He's actually right, and it's a total punch in the gut/spit in the face, IMO.

Pretty much captures my thoughts exactly. It's really moronic that they did this.

While I'm debating whether or not I would still consider this installment great regardless, I'm no longer optimistic about its future and feel like this is going to play out just like Game of Thrones did, personally.

The difference being this actually already has an ending. Not a bunch of people sitting in a room trying to figure out how to finish something even the author has no idea how to finish.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The difference being this actually already has an ending. Not a bunch of people sitting in a room trying to figure out how to finish something even the author has no idea how to finish.
That's not actually the case, though-- They've essentially expressed that they're going to
actively try to avoid the existing ending (which you can very easily interpret as using the source material as an example of what not to do)
, so it most likely will be a bunch of people sitting in a room trying to figure out how to finish something.

The real difference that I could concede to is that at least it's the some of the same people who made the original decisions making the new ones, but their track record is anything but reassuring.

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Not really, though-- They've essentially expressed that they're going to
actively try to avoid the existing ending (which you can very easily interpret as using the source material as an example of what not to do)
, so it most likely will be a bunch of people sitting in a room trying to figure out how to finish something.
Where? Where have "they" said that?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Where? Where have "they" said that?
"They" the creators haven't directly said that, but the game strongly implies it.
See 8:25 - 09:15

This is why I think it's similar to the Game of Thrones situation. When they stick closely to the spirit/primary beats of the source material (which they did for 90% of this game), it's excellent, but once it goes off the rails and they're left to their own devices, they kind of make really crappy creative decisions (if the remake's ending reveals, compilation games, and recent Square Enix titles are any indication anyways). Modern Square Enix' sensibilities are VERY comparable to D&D's after they ran out of book material.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that whatever new ideas that they come up with bucks the trend and happens to be as good or better than the source material, but I sure as hell wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
"They" the creators haven't directly said that, but the game strongly implies it.
See 8:25 - 09:00

This is why I think it's similar to the Game of Thrones situation. When they stick closely to the spirit/primary beats of the source material (which they did for 90% of this game), it's excellent, but once it goes off the rails and they're left to their own devices, they kind of make really crappy creative decisions (if the remake's ending reveals, compilation games, and recent Square Enix titles are any indication anyways). Modern Square Enix' sensibilities are essentially the same as D&D's.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that whatever new ideas that they come up with bucks the trend and happens to be as good or better than the source material, but I sure as hell wouldn't count on it.

So "they" didn't say anything. You are just making up things in your head based on what you have seen.

This game has 1 ending, and only 1 ending. It has been established in countless spin offs and references for over 20 years. And you think they are just going to throw out 20 years worth of stuff because of 1 little thing you think you saw on disc 1 of a 3 disc series.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So "they" didn't say anything. You are just making up things in your head based on what you have seen.

This game has 1 ending, and only 1 ending. It has been established in countless spin offs and references for over 20 years. And you think they are just going to throw out 20 years worth of stuff because of 1 little thing you think you saw on disc 1 of a 3 disc series.
Did you watch the video and play through that part of the game?

It's pretty clear that that's what they're trying to express-- Many others (including the video) interpret it the same way. I'd be interested in an alternative interpretation if you have one, because I sure as hell would want to grab onto whatever denial I can about that being reality, but I can't.

And btw, the game already does throw out 20 years worth of established stuff with some of the changes that they made-- For example, Biggs/Wedge surviving, the events of Zack's demise changing (and him possibly not dying, depending on how you interpret it).

Yes. I agree with you that it's insane for them to do this, but
they have expressed through the game that they are doing this-- The degree to which they will is up for debate/interpretation, but they are making changes to how this is going to play out.

It's also not "one little thing"
-- It's the climax and culmination of the entire game (eg. What are these ghost things and what is their purpose? Oh, that's what they're trying to do. We have to stop that outcome. Okay, we stopped them, so this isn't destined to be the outcome anymore).

If I'm trying to be optimistic, the best case scenario of what I think can still happen would be
In the game, everyone knows what the ending will be and actively try to stop it, but it happens anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgotusername

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Did you watch the video and play through that part of the game? It's pretty clear that that's what they're trying to express-- Many others (including the video) interpret it the same way. I'd be interested in an alternative interpretation if you have one, because I sure as hell would want to grab onto whatever denial I can about that being reality, but I can't.

And btw, the game already does throw out 20 years worth of established stuff with some of the changes that they made-- For example,
Biggs/Wedge surviving, the events of Zack's demise changing (and him possibly not dying, depending on how you interpret it).
Yes. It's insane for them to do this, but they have expressed through the game that they are doing this-- they are making changes to how this is going to play out.
If I'm trying to be optimistic, the best case scenario of what I think can happen would be
In the game, everyone knows what the ending will be and actively try to stop it, but it happens anyways.
I'm going to block you now, not because of the points you make, but because every post you have contains the spoiler tags. Making it impossible to reply to you without showing what is contained in the spoiler. Considering how the title of the thread contains "No Spoilers" right in it, and you continue to post spoilers, I don't know how the mods haven't banned you yet.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to block you now, not because of the points you make, but because every post you have contains the spoiler tags. Making it impossible to reply to you without showing what is contained in the spoiler. Considering how the title of the thread contains "No Spoilers" right in it, and you continue to post spoilers, I don't know how the mods haven't banned you yet.
Pretty sure "no spoilers" just means to not visibly spoil things. If you see a spoiler tag and haven't completed the game, it's common sense not to reply or think for some reason that you have sufficient information and context to reject or argue with the sentiment.

If mods feel otherwise, feel free to take them down and let us know that we shouldn't be discussing anything even in spoiler tags.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Not sure when I'll have time to play it, but I finally broke down and bought it. Gonna regret it if there's a price cut within the next few months, but I'm churning through Persona 5 Royal so fast that I'll probably have it done this month so it's probably not something to worry about.

I have a kind of obscure question – if I have only the barest minimum idea of the original plot, is the ending to the remake something that would also spoil the remake for me as I'm playing, or would it not matter that much? I'm trying to be careful even though I don't care too much about spoilers, but I guess I'm asking to see how vigilant I should be, as something to do I suppose... just reading enough about the game in various circles that I figure there might be a chance I inadvertently spoil something for myself.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've quite enjoyed the game so far.

I just finished the Corneo tournament and I've done the squat mini-game...holy moly the Hellhouse was hard (at least for me) and I finally beat Jules with 61 squats so there's that.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The combat system is amazing. That battle intel thing which requires you to stagger enemies then use unique attacks was a little weird. I had no idea what I was doing so I watched some youtube videos which suggested it was easier using Tifa. I proceeded to use Tifa for about an hour to no success then switched back to maining Cloud and got like 6 completions in an hour without having any idea or plan as to what I was doing lol.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Game of Thrones example is a poor one. The show is an adaptation of an unfinished book series that uses the same framework for the unfinished books. Both versions will have the same basic ending.

this project is entirely different

it’s a sequel to the original game, not a remake of the original game and story. The differences are intentional as the writing team is telling a new story. It just happens to follow a lot of the same story beats because time travel

Though even when when this version is faithful it’s clear the writing team don’t get the characters, tone, or themes of the original game.

It’s not different to why Advent Children was such a mess. Nomura didn’t understand his own characters that it comes off as bad fan fiction. Nojima is simply a hack.

it’s the same guy that had Tidus die in X2.5 by mistaking a bomb for a blitzball.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Game of Thrones example is a poor one. The show is an adaptation of an unfinished book series that uses the same framework for the unfinished books. Both versions will have the same basic ending.

this project is entirely different

it’s a sequel to the original game, not a remake of the original game and story. The differences are intentional as the writing team is telling a new story. It just happens to follow a lot of the same story beats because time travel

Though even when when this version is faithful it’s clear the writing team don’t get the characters, tone, or themes of the original game.

It’s not different to why Advent Children was such a mess. Nomura didn’t understand his own characters that it comes off as bad fan fiction. Nojima is simply a hack.

it’s the same guy that had Tidus die in X2.5 by mistaking a bomb for a blitzball.
Wait, you don't think the faithful part of this first game got the characters, themes, or tone of the game right? That's a new criticism that I don't think I've heard before.

What exactly do you think they got wrong?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Pretty sure "no spoilers" just means to not visibly spoil things. If you see a spoiler tag and haven't completed the game, it's common sense not to reply or think for some reason that you have sufficient information and context to reject or argue with the sentiment.

If mods feel otherwise, feel free to take them down and let us know that we shouldn't be discussing anything even in spoiler tags.
Indeed. As long as there is a spoil thing i think it’s fine. Just dont click them like i do unless someone saids it’s from a chapter i already beat.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I love that about it, personally. It forces you to spend your turns wisely and strategically rather than spam heal whenever you're in danger.
It also causes a lot of game overs lol but mercifully the game lets you try the battle over so you don’t lose any progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad