Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How many Chapters does the game have? Haven't witnessed any spoilers, but disappointed that there really isn't a true ending to this game concerning the reveal of at least two sequels in the future.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I genuinely don’t know what that guy is talking about. This game is flawless.
While I think a lot of the game is incredible, the ending and the ghost things (and some specific details in Chapter 4) are definite flaws, storytelling-wise, IMO. If those two elements were disregarded, I think it would be as close to perfect as one could ever reasonably hope for.

Chapters 1, 2, 8, 9, 12, and 13 in particular are just exceptional, IMO. The craziest thing is that it nails and balances so many wildly different tones (Wall Market being the toughest tight rope act of making completely bonkers and absurd things feel just right).

That said, most games with mechanics this strong admittedly do not get held to the storytelling standard that I'm holding this to (only because I have an idea of how good it can be).

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
While I think a lot of the game is incredible, the ending and the ghost things (and some specific details in Chapter 4) are definite flaws, storytelling-wise, IMO. If those two elements were disregarded, I think it would be as close to perfect as one could ever reasonably hope for.

Chapters 1, 2, 8, 9, 12, and 13 in particular are just exceptional, IMO. The craziest thing is that it nails and balances so many wildly different tones (Wall Market being the toughest tight rope act of making completely bonkers and absurd things feel just right).

That said, most games with mechanics this strong admittedly do not get held to the storytelling standard that I'm holding this to (only because I have an idea of how good it can be).
There’s no such thing as a flawless game , you can nitpick anything you want. This games strengths are so strong that they make it a 10/10. I’m loving the shit out of it and the only flaw in my mind is that I know it’s going to end soon and the next part is still years away.

Reactions: YNWA14

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There’s no such thing as a flawless game , you can nitpick anything you want. This games strengths are so strong that they make it a 10/10. I’m loving the shit out of it and the only flaw in my mind is that I know it’s going to end soon and the next part is still years away.
I definitely don't feel the same way, but you're free to disagree. I think it's great, but the flaws are pretty notable distractions/outright missteps rather than minor nitpicks, IMO, and I think there are definitely games that avoid this and feel for the most part flawless-- it's not some out of reach bar to clear, in my view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I definitely don't feel the same way, but you're free to disagree. I think it's great, but the flaws are pretty notable distractions/outright missteps rather than minor nitpicks, IMO, and I think there are definitely games that avoid this and feel for the most part flawless-- it's not some out of reach bar to clear, in my view.
Agreed. It's obviously a very good game, but it's still a flawed game. The storytelling in general is done very well, but there are moments when the pacing whiplash is strong, and both the gameplay and story suffer for it.

As for your notion that games can indeed be flawless, I would agree, but I disagree that a AAA title like FFVII Remake has that ability. It's too big, needs to hit too many narrative turns, and it needs to make too many people happy to ever be flawless. Personally, I think it's much easier to make a flawless game if the audience for it is smaller and it doesn't require such a large production, but I'm not going to hold that against FFVII Remake.

Reactions: deepdark

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. It's obviously a very good game, but it's still a flawed game. The storytelling in general is done very well, but there are moments when the pacing whiplash is strong, and both the gameplay and story suffer for it.

As for your notion that games can indeed be flawless, I would agree, but I disagree that a AAA title like FFVII Remake has that ability. It's too big, needs to hit too many narrative turns, and it needs to make too many people happy to ever be flawless. Personally, I think it's much easier to make a flawless game if the audience for it is smaller and it doesn't require such a large production, but I'm not going to hold that against FFVII Remake.
I would differ slightly on this. I think that a AAA title absolutely has that ability (and there have been numerous exceptions in the past), it just shouldn't be expected in terms of obligation because it isn't generally in its best interests to aim for that (for the reasons you laid out). Doesn't change whether it is/isn't or can/can't be flawless, though, in my view.

It makes sense and is logical why a AAA title like FFVIIR would make the flawed compromises that it does (everything that I would criticize it for could be considered a smart business decision, from what I can see), but I'm still going to call it as I see it (and technically "criticize" it) when it comes to the result.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I would differ slightly on this. I think that a AAA title absolutely has that ability (and there have been numerous exceptions in the past), it just shouldn't be expected to in terms of obligation because it isn't generally in its best interests to aim for that (for the reasons you laid out). Doesn't change whether it is/isn't or can/can't be flawless, though, in my view.

It makes sense and is logical why a AAA title like FFVIIR would make the flawed compromises that it does (everything that I would criticize it for could be considered a smart business decision, from what I can see), but I'm still going to call it what it is when it comes to the result.
Fair enough. It shouldn't be held against you that you're remaining consistent in your approach to grading video games. I'm not sure if my non-storytelling issues with FFVII Remake, of which there are very few, come down to business decisions or to the design of the game, but they're there, although they are rather minor in the grand scheme of the game.

I'm curious as to which AAA titles you see as flawless, though. Feel free to PM me if you don't think that discussion belongs in this thread.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. It shouldn't be held against you that you're remaining consistent in your approach to grading video games. I'm not sure if my non-storytelling issues with FFVII Remake, of which there are very few, come down to business decisions or to the design of the game, but they're there, although they are rather minor in the grand scheme of the game.

I'm curious as to which AAA titles you see as flawless, though. Feel free to PM me if you don't think that discussion belongs in this thread.
I think that there are at least a handful of large developers that favor integrity over absolute profitability, and are unwilling to compromise the former for the latter. From Software would be the most recent example I can think of, and they make plenty of games that could be considered uncompromisingly flawless, for example. I think it's letting AAA developers off the hook too much to say that they're doomed to be what they usually are and don't have the ability to be anything else-- The odds are stacked against it, sure, but ultimately, it's still just a choice they took.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have any problems with the story, gameplay or pacing. I love every part of this game. I’m super happy with how they’ve expanded the FF7 world and IMO they’ve hit the nail on the head on how they’ve represented the characters and story. The combat system is refreshing and challenging as well but has good options for those that prefer the original style. All the mini games so far have been fun. I could go on for a while but yeah this is unreal for me. Nostalgia certainly plays a part but I’m very happy with how the remake is going.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
This Reno fighte is annoying af

They seriously need to patch this targeting system

Last edited:

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Still waiting for mine to get delivered. My Purolator tracking has been in the "shipping label created" stage since 3pm Saturday.

cmon-do-something-meme-300x200.png

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think that there are at least a handful of large developers that favor integrity over absolute profitability, and are unwilling to compromise the former for the latter. From Software would be the most recent example I can think of, and they make plenty of games that could be considered uncompromisingly flawless, for example. I think it's letting AAA developers off the hook too much to say that they're doomed to be what they usually are and don't have the ability to be anything else-- The odds are stacked against it, sure, but ultimately, it's still just a choice they took.

I can understand the viewpoint of From Software making flawless games. They’re always technically spot-on, and their minimalist approach to storytelling is one that I can enjoy. I do, however, think that their audience is a niche one, and that allows them to take more risks.

FFVII Remake, on the other hand, had such gigantic shoes to fill and a much larger audience to impress. Square had to make this game enjoyable for older fans and accessible to new fans, which From hasn’t had to do. I can understand why Square made some of the choices they did, but at the same time, they still hold the responsibility for making those choices, no matter how small their impact might be on players.

I have any problems with the story, gameplay or pacing. I love every part of this game. I’m super happy with how they’ve expanded the FF7 world and IMO they’ve hit the nail on the head on how they’ve represented the characters and story. The combat system is refreshing and challenging as well but has good options for those that prefer the original style. All the mini games so far have been fun. I could go on for a while but yeah this is unreal for me. Nostalgia certainly plays a part but I’m very happy with how the remake is going.

It’s awesome that you’re loving it as a fan of the original game. I’ve been curious how those who rank FFVII as one of their all-time favorites would respond to the changes in both story and the gameplay. I just got to Chapter 14 and the stuff I’m talking about has been minor but noticeable, in my opinion. I think it’s great if most people aren’t affected by what I’ve experienced honestly.

You bring up an interesting point about nostalgia, too. My buddies who are huge FF fans and rank VII as their favorite are absolutely loving the Remake, too. In fact, I don’t think I’ve seen a single fan of the original hate on the Remake at all, at least not those who have played it. I do feel like I’m missing out on some of the magic since I never played the original, though. According to some friends, I’m cruising through the game at a faster pace than them despite completing all of the side stuff. Are there things fans of the original are noticing that newcomers aren’t? Also, having played both the original and the Remake, would it be worth my time to go back and play the original once I’m finished with the Remake, in your opinion?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not used to the action oriented style of gameplay, so it's been challenging, but I'm enjoying myself. I'm starting to just bounce between the characters when ATB is up and use abilities. Seems to work out better than trying to play one alone. Also, had a lot of trouble targeting the shield generator on the scorpion boss. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but got through it. haha Everything feels more threatening for sure, which is a nice change of pace. I'm doing side quests and exploring, so getting through the story has been slow. I won't have a real assessment for changes and such until I'm done.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wait, you don't think the faithful part of this first game got the characters, themes, or tone of the game right? That's a new criticism that I don't think I've heard before.

What exactly do you think they got wrong?

Bascially entirely how Sephiroth. Is seen and handled. Unfortunately the character has been parody in all the media after the original game, Kingdom Hearts, the sequel projects, and again here.

the death of President Shinra is the best example. The original sequence is something out of a horror movie where we follow the blood trail to the president’s body and just the sword in his back. It’s the first in many moments in the early game where Sephiroth is presented absolutely unstoppable, and the Kalm flashback shows us he is also incredibly insane.

He isn’t the calm and cool dude he has always been presented as in later versions. He is a slasher villain cackling about his mother.

They also dump the save the planet eco storyline line way sooner once Aerith says there is a bigger villain then Shinra.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Barret is a great "white mage" character in the mid-late game. High HP, ranged to stay out of action. Im finding Tifa to be of limited use though. I liked her early but she seems underpowered now.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm not used to the action oriented style of gameplay, so it's been challenging, but I'm enjoying myself. I'm starting to just bounce between the characters when ATB is up and use abilities. Seems to work out better than trying to play one alone. Also, had a lot of trouble targeting the shield generator on the scorpion boss. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but got through it. haha Everything feels more threatening for sure, which is a nice change of pace. I'm doing side quests and exploring, so getting through the story has been slow. I won't have a real assessment for changes and such until I'm done.

I dont think you could play it alone. Its not like a squad shooter where yout teammates are almost entirely useless and serve to move the plot.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I dont think you could play it alone. Its not like a squad shooter where yout teammates are almost entirely useless and serve to move the plot.
Yeah, I'm just realizing if I get pinned, gotta switch to the other character and attack. Getting the hang of it. It's definitely more dynamic. Btw, doing all those "jobs" in the slums? Totally Crisis Core right there. That's basically all you did in Crisis Core. lol

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can understand the viewpoint of From Software making flawless games. They’re always technically spot-on, and their minimalist approach to storytelling is one that I can enjoy. I do, however, think that their audience is a niche one, and that allows them to take more risks.

FFVII Remake, on the other hand, had such gigantic shoes to fill and a much larger audience to impress. Square had to make this game enjoyable for older fans and accessible to new fans, which From hasn’t had to do. I can understand why Square made some of the choices they did, but at the same time, they still hold the responsibility for making those choices, no matter how small their impact might be on players.
To be fair, they didn't HAVE to do this, they chose to do this for purely self-interested reasons (optimize profits). That decision and all that results from it (and whether or not they're sustained by a niche audience) is entirely on them. Even a big budget company can choose to go the other way with it (Nintendo occasionally did throughout their history as well, with something like Super Metroid for example).
Also, having played both the original and the Remake, would it be worth my time to go back and play the original once I’m finished with the Remake, in your opinion?
Absolutely. On a technical level, it's a super flawed and dated game (at least superficially) that might initially put you off, which is why I didn't bring it up as an example of a flawless AAA game. However, one of the major reasons I'm disagreeing with the notion in the first place is because the original was AAA and reached this huge audience without compromising its story structure, restraint and most bold, potentially alienating, and important creative/artistic decisions, and I would argue that that aspect of it is far superior (while also arguing that the gameplay/quality-of-life stuff is much worse).

Another part of that is also that while the Midgar part of FFVII is very solid and iconic setup, it's not really representative of that much of what the game does well (it's more like a traditional classic story that you're deceptively tricked into thinking is what the game is about, but spring-boards into the actual lore), and it sounds like the remake is going to go in a completely different direction moving forward rather than continue to adapt it.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bascially entirely how Sephiroth. Is seen and handled. Unfortunately the character has been parody in all the media after the original game, Kingdom Hearts, the sequel projects, and again here.

the death of President Shinra is the best example. The original sequence is something out of a horror movie where we follow the blood trail to the president’s body and just the sword in his back. It’s the first in many moments in the early game where Sephiroth is presented absolutely unstoppable, and the Kalm flashback shows us he is also incredibly insane.

He isn’t the calm and cool dude he has always been presented as in later versions. He is a slasher villain cackling about his mother.

They also dump the save the planet eco storyline line way sooner once Aerith says there is a bigger villain then Shinra.
Oh, that's what you mean. I agree with all of that-- the Sephiroth + Shinra HQ stuff/ending is misrepresentative of the original and just awful awful writing (though I do like some of the flashback/vision effects they used), but I wouldn't consider that an example of "even when this version is faithful." All of those are pretty major/completely new story deviations, in my view (especially considering that in terms of faithfulness, Sephiroth shouldn't be in the game in the first place).

The sequences that are actually faithfully recreated from the original, I think nails the characters, tones, and themes for the most part (in fact, more than I expected and more clearly than the original game communicates in some cases). The game is really good at repurposing/modernizing old story decisions but really bad at coming up with new story decisions, in my opinion.

I don't think there's an example of them technically doing the same thing the original did but ultimately getting the tone/theme wrong (something that easily could have happened with Wall Market or the bombings, for example), was my point.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If I wasnt a huge fan of the original im not sure I could go back and play it.

Its a 23 year JRPG. Its dated. It can and will feel very slow at times. The dialogue is all txt based.

But its one of the classics and one of my favourite games. I am going to do a replay in the near future.

Reactions: Metroid

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If I wasnt a huge fan of the original im not sure I could go back and play it.

Its a 23 year JRPG. Its dated. It can and will feel very slow at times. The dialogue is all txt based.

But its one of the classics and one of my favourite games. I am going to do a replay in the near future.
I just did it twice in March. Once to replay the story and a second time cause I messed up and didn't get a trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad