Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
This is my favorite Final Fantasy combat system. It's the first game where I want to breeze through the cutscenes, dialog etc. to get to the next fight. I hope they just port this combat system with maybe a few small tweaks to targeting over to the next game and don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I just did it twice in March. Once to replay the story and a second time cause I messed up and didn't get a trophy.

Wow. What were your play times?

My first playthrough ever in 1998 I put in 104 hours. Im pretty sure a lot of that (at least 20 hours) was grinding at that small island at the bottom of the map because I was convinced I wasnt strong enough for the climax. I was also was horribly inefficient at doing stuff. I might have had a Brady Game strategy guide for part of the game. The rest of the game I was just exploring and figuring it out on my own. Im not sure I couyld have figured out how to get a Gold Chocobo for Knights of the Round on my own. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dug it out. Talk about an industry killed by the internet (the physical edition strategy guide). Then GameFaqs became a thing

lzqSYQ3l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa Francouz

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
To be fair, they didn't HAVE to do this, they chose to do this for purely self-interested reasons (optimize profits). That decision and all that results from it (and whether or not they're sustained by a niche audience) is entirely on them. Even a big budget company can choose to go the other way with it (Nintendo occasionally did throughout their history as well, with something like Super Metroid for example).Absolutely. On a technical level, it's a super flawed and dated game (at least superficially) that might initially put you off, which is why I didn't bring it up as an example of a flawless AAA game. However, one of the major reasons I'm disagreeing with the notion in the first place is because the original was AAA and reached this huge audience without compromising its story structure, restraint and most bold, potentially alienating, and important creative/artistic decisions, and I would argue that that aspect of it is far superior (while also arguing that the gameplay/quality-of-life stuff is much worse).

Another part of that is also that while the Midgar part of FFVII is very solid and iconic setup, it's not really representative of that much of what the game does well (it's more like a traditional classic story that you're deceptively tricked into thinking is what the game is about, but spring-boards into the actual lore), and it sounds like the remake is going to go in a completely different direction moving forward rather than continue to adapt it.

While companies like EA and Ubisoft are guilty of sacrificing gameplay and fun over a solid gaming experience for the sake of profit, has Square ever made that trade-off before? Legitimate question, because I just don't think they focused on making both old and new fans happy just for the money with FFVII Remake. I think the creative issues I've seen throughout the game come from Nomura being in charge, and not from the suits at Square. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never thought Square was up there with the EAs and Ubisofts of the world.

I plan on playing through the original FFVII shortly after finishing the Remake, which I'm very close to doing. Since I haven't played the original, I can't comment on your second point and on if it's a good idea for Square to take the story in a different direction. I'm only able to comment on what I've played so far.

If I wasnt a huge fan of the original im not sure I could go back and play it.

Its a 23 year JRPG. Its dated. It can and will feel very slow at times. The dialogue is all txt based.

But its one of the classics and one of my favourite games. I am going to do a replay in the near future.

If it helps, I went back and played FFIX about a year ago and was able to get through it just fine. I imagine VII will likely not run as well or be as optimized, but I don't think the age will prevent me from playing VII. At least not if there's still a good game hiding behind the remnants of past technology. If it's closer to IX than X, I should be good. X is where the series completely lost me for a while due to both the narrative and gameplay departments, and I unfortunately missed XII because of this.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Wow. What were your play times?

My first playthrough ever in 1998 I put in 104 hours. Im pretty sure a lot of that (at least 20 hours) was grinding at that small island at the bottom of the map because I was convinced I wasnt strong enough for the climax. I was also was horribly inefficient at doing stuff. I might have had a Brady Game strategy guide for part of the game. The rest of the game I was just exploring and figuring it out on my own. Im not sure I couyld have figured out how to get a Gold Chocobo for Knights of the Round on my own. Stuff like that.
About 62 hours to wrap the game. Then rushing through to the Gold Saucer 2nd time took about 12 hours. I stopped there when I got the trophy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While companies like EA and Ubisoft are guilty of sacrificing gameplay and fun over a solid gaming experience for the sake of profit, has Square ever made that trade-off before? Legitimate question, because I just don't think they focused on making both old and new fans happy just for the money with FFVII Remake. I think the creative issues I've seen throughout the game come from Nomura being in charge, and not from the suits at Square. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never thought Square was up there with the EAs and Ubisofts of the world.

I plan on playing through the original FFVII shortly after finishing the Remake, which I'm very close to doing. Since I haven't played the original, I can't comment on your second point and on if it's a good idea for Square to take the story in a different direction. I'm only able to comment on what I've played so far.
While they were never nearly on the same level as EA (very few companies are), the reason Nomura is in the position he is to begin with is partially because the company has that mindset (as long as it makes money, who cares-- people don't want sublety and creativity, they want production values, marketability and flashiness), and there was a very distinct and unquestionable transition towards that attitude when Squaresoft merged with Enix and became Square Enix. Not even exaggerating-- there are quite literally leaked images somewhere on the internet that revealed that their internal company-wide order upon merging was to abandon passion projects and start focusing on milking as much money as humanly possible.

In the 90s and early 2000s, when Hironobu Sakaguchi was in charge (both he and Matsuno-- whom I've always felt were the strongest visionaries within the company-- ended up leaving because they disagreed with this shift in attitude), Squaresoft was a company that oozed creative integrity, to the extent that their entire reputation was built on the fact that they were willing to risk all financial security/sense to boldly create the most ambitious and uncompromising epics they could (they did this a couple of times, including with the original FFVII-- the company would have gone bankrupt if that failed, yet it was still pretty uncompromising). They were never exactly shakespeare or anything, but it was very admirable and inspired regardless. Once that finally caused them to go bankrupt because of the Spirits Within movie bombing, they did a complete 180 and that's how we got to the consistently soulless and tasteless but profitable FFXIII, FFXV, and Kingdom Hearts type games that we get now-- Nomura is just part of the problem.

Regarding replaying the original, that's good to hear. Be prepared for a lot of growing pains, but I think it'll be worth it in the end if you manage to see past the bad translation.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
was a little bummed at first that they only covered Midgar portion of the game, but so far they've NAILED IT...the fleshed out characters, fleshed out city, the battles, the weapon upgrades...everything top notch,

the fight system is better than anything post-turned based battle system

and they've somehow managed to make the best soundtrack in gaming history even better

Reactions: YNWA14

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Dug it out. Talk about an industry killed by the internet (the physical edition strategy guide). Then GameFaqs became a thing

lzqSYQ3l.jpg

I remember taking that guide with me to school in 6th grade as study hall reading because I was so amped on the game.

I was very amped on this one. In fact I bought a PlayStation and an oled tv just for this. FF died after IX to me so the opportunity to play a modernized old one couldn’t be turned down. It’s very rare that I even play a game older than original PlayStation era because I just don’t like new ones.

I mostly loved this remake.

Until I got to chapter 17 and hated it. What in the actual f***? If you’re going to change the story that much just f*** off and make a different game. This is deja vu for me. I was just ranting about deus ex machine and the stupidity of making dead people suddenly and magically not dead with the most recent Star Wars movie.

Even though I’ve played through the original a dozen or more times, it’s been awhile and I don’t remember everything. But I certainly know Barret doesn’t get killed and magically healed. They ruined the mystique of Sephiroth. The original was great because you just follow his carnage and don’t see him.

By faaaaar the worst part was the whisper stuff. So random, so weird, so inconsistent and out of place. What the hell was this crap? Wtf was that ending? I finally finished today and those last two chapters really put a damper on an otherwise great experience. And the stuff with Zack was confusing, although it was always difficult to follow and piece together in the original.

Regarding gameplay, the battle system was decent but it seems like non human controlled characters are useless and don’t build atb (and also whichever character you control gets all the enemy attention magically). What would be really neat is if they could get online capability so people could play together and your whole crew was human controlled.

I also didn’t like the extremely off stat progression, but I guess it makes partial sense since this is a standalone game. It’s just weird to have characters at 4000 HP at a point in the original they had maybe 400. And too much Materia. Didn’t like the Chadley stuff. Don’t like the mystique and story suffering for these kind of things. What happens in the next games though? We haven’t left Midgar and characters are halfway to maxed out.

For the future, ...I don’t even know because of this idiotic nonsensical whisper stuff. Assuming it sticks to the normal story, I don’t know what they works change or expand. Frankly, I find the need to even do so nonexistent. My preference would be a shot-for-shot remake (really my preference would be for this kind of remake with FF VI or IX, as I find those to be better games). I’ll still look forward to it. There was a lot of good in this game. I know I’m in the minority with my prioritizing of story over everything else—hence why the only RPGS I play are typically from 92-02 before style took over for substance.

If not for the stupid story changes, this game would be like at 9.8 for me. The main characters were pitch perfect. Well voiced, well presented. Stunning graphics. Was it worth the wait? Mad as I am at the moment, I still lean toward yes. If I ever become a billionaire I’m buying the rights to FF VI and the Suikoden series and doing a stylistic makeover just like this.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Agreed on the soundtrack. Theres one song I cant stand though. Its the one in the collapsed tunnel I think. Its terribly irritating.

Some music was great. They didn’t draw on original music nearly enough though. New Wall Market theme is I Can Show You the World—what? Most disappointed to not hear the ordinal church music. One of my favorite tracks.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’m somewhere in Chapter 8 right now. There are random moments when I’m playing this game that it feels surreal that it even exists. This is the first time I haven’t felt like Square stole money from me since maybe Kingdom Hearts 2. So like 15 years :laugh:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
What are peoples completion times for this game? I'm not a 100%-er for most games, but I like to complete a lot of the sidequests. Just worried about the length of the game considering its cost and I don't have any nostalgia for the game.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
What are peoples completion times for this game? I'm not a 100%-er for most games, but I like to complete a lot of the sidequests. Just worried about the length of the game considering its cost and I don't have any nostalgia for the game.
30 hours in and I just got to chapter 13, of 18.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bascially entirely how Sephiroth. Is seen and handled. Unfortunately the character has been parody in all the media after the original game, Kingdom Hearts, the sequel projects, and again here.

the death of President Shinra is the best example. The original sequence is something out of a horror movie where we follow the blood trail to the president’s body and just the sword in his back. It’s the first in many moments in the early game where Sephiroth is presented absolutely unstoppable, and the Kalm flashback shows us he is also incredibly insane.

He isn’t the calm and cool dude he has always been presented as in later versions. He is a slasher villain cackling about his mother.

They also dump the save the planet eco storyline line way sooner once Aerith says there is a bigger villain then Shinra.

Sephiroth is a very shallow character and one if the worst FF villains. This game only reinforces that: once you know who he is and why he does what he does, what else is there to say about him.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I feel like the playtimes are all going to come close to 40 hours. The sidequests are very short for the most part and there really isnt grinding to speak of.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
While they were never nearly on the same level as EA (very few companies are), the reason Nomura is in the position he is to begin with is partially because the company has that mindset (as long as it makes money, who cares-- people don't want sublety and creativity, they want production values, marketability and flashiness), and there was a very distinct and unquestionable transition towards that attitude when Squaresoft merged with Enix and became Square Enix. Not even exaggerating-- there are quite literally leaked images somewhere on the internet that revealed that their internal company-wide order upon merging was to abandon passion projects and start focusing on milking as much money as humanly possible.

In the 90s and early 2000s, when Hironobu Sakaguchi was in charge (both he and Matsuno-- whom I've always felt were the strongest visionaries within the company-- ended up leaving because they disagreed with this shift in attitude), Squaresoft was a company that oozed creative integrity, to the extent that their entire reputation was built on the fact that they were willing to risk all financial security/sense to boldly create the most ambitious and uncompromising epics they could (they did this a couple of times, including with the original FFVII-- the company would have gone bankrupt if that failed, yet it was still pretty uncompromising). They were never exactly shakespeare or anything, but it was very admirable and inspired regardless. Once that finally caused them to go bankrupt because of the Spirits Within movie bombing, they did a complete 180 and that's how we got to the consistently soulless and tasteless but profitable FFXIII, FFXV, and Kingdom Hearts type games that we get now-- Nomura is just part of the problem.

Regarding replaying the original, that's good to hear. Be prepared for a lot of growing pains, but I think it'll be worth it in the end if you manage to see past the bad translation.

Huh, I never knew that about Square. That's some interesting stuff, and it would help explain their change in philosophy over the years. I'll take some time when I can and look for some of those documents, as that's a pretty drastic shift, and one that I don't personally agree with.

However, at the same time, I have to say that Square does have some of that creative integrity that you mention, as they've developed games like DQXI and published games like Nier: Automata within the last few years. And I'm hoping that the ongoing story with FFVII: Remake is more along the lines of these games than KH3, for instance. This first part has me hopeful and cautiously optimistic for the next installment, too, for what it's worth, but with Nomura in charge, I can't say much more than that. VII: Remake is the only console FF worth playing post-IX, as far as I'm concerned. XIV transformed into something pretty great, too, over the last few years.

I'm all good for growing pains. Some of my favorite games that I've played recently are older games that required some adjustment on my part. It's been over 15 years coming, but I do think it's about damn time I give the original game a shot.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sephiroth is a very shallow character and one if the worst FF villains. This game only reinforces that: once you know who he is and why he does what he does, what else is there to say about him.
Only if you either misunderstand the plot or have a very rigid and pure traditionalist view of what a villain needs to be, the trajectory that they need to go on, and what they need to accomplish, IMO. I think he's a very refreshing and unconventional take on the whole idea of a villain altogether, delivered perfectly in how he's presented, personally (though not so much in the remake).
While the game deceptively misleads you into thinking that he will be generic Anime supervillain, ultimately, he's not meant to be an active "we have to stop him" villain at all-- He's more of a tragic presence that gets twisted up in everything. Basically, he's a hero who goes insane from a misunderstanding, leaves a permanent mark on a bunch of people and then for all intents and purposes dies and stops becoming a directly conscious decision-making agent on the game altogether (well, only ambiguously)-- After that he's more like a useful corpse that's propped up and manipulated by more sinister forces, but whose past presence continues to haunt certain characters. His purpose in the story is less literal than you're asking for, and more to be a mere visual representation of the actual villains/conflicts in the game than anything else-- both of the psychological conflict within Cloud, and of Jenova/Hojo's actions, and ultimately of the whole humans vs. the Planet allegory.
It would cheapen this whole fascinating angle and hurt the game if he were to become a continually developed chaotic conventional "evil" character.

In terms of a traditional villain role, I would sooner say that
Jenova is really the primary villain of what amounts to a psychic monster/natural disaster horror story-- and it kind of makes no sense to demand better character development out of a monster or natural disaster.

The threat and conflict itself that the game primarily deals with is beautifully fleshed out and made effective, and that's ultimately what matters, not whether or not such and such fulfills a conventional villain role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warden of the North

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Red XIII is a wasted character as a NPC. hes completely useless in the fights (at least thus far anyways).

Its a shame, he was a mainstay in my party in the original.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. Just thinking about the Cosmo Canyon segment and how it will look in Remake II makes me very excited. The visuals of the remaining story have the potential to be AMAZING.

This song is just so good too

I was a bit disappointed in how they tried to fit him into this game's narrative in general. I understand that they didn't want to directly do the whole breeding thing (the compromise they made was more than reasonable and makes a lot more sense), but it made him feel like a completely random presence to inject in the game as someone who just bumps into you and comes with you for no reason.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I was a bit disappointed in how they tried to fit him into this game's narrative in general. I understand that they didn't want to directly do the whole breeding thing (the compromise they made was more than reasonable and makes a lot more sense), but it made him feel like a completely random presence to inject in the game as someone who just bumps into you and comes with you for no reason.

Yes. He doesnt really serve a purpose at this point. A drawback of having the bulk of his story at the midpoint of the overall story, but missing from Remake I

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes. He doesnt really serve a purpose at this point. A drawback of having the bulk of his story at the midpoint of the overall story, but missing from Remake I
I just needed some story through-line. Like at the very least show him being experimented on or having some conflict with Hojo that would lead them to have some common sympathy/goal (maybe change it so that they planned to inject his cells in her offspring or something).

Instead, it just comes across like an out of left field fan-service-y "Hey everybody, it's me! Everyone's fan-favorite Red XIII! Let me join your party!" entrance.

Last edited:

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Am I crazy or do they play Cosmo canyon music while in the sector 5 slums chapter 8 part? (Like in the town part) I changes when you venture out tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad