Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No FF. Maybe it was one of the Underground demo discs.

It had to be a different demo disk then. I distinctly rember being able to play: Test Drive 5, Abe's Odyssey, Ape Escape, Tomb Raider (2?), and a turn-based game. Oh well, though. It's weirdly difficult to find this stuff. Didn't know there were so many variations of demo disks back then.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do have to say... I absolutely despise what they did to the Wall Market theme. I hope they didn't butcher Underneath The Rotting Pizza as bad as they did Wall Market theme.
Did you just hear a snippet of Oppressed People or actually see the section where it's played? It seems like there are often completely different versions of tracks depending on the situation, so there's still a good chance a better version of Oppressed People is in the game as well (wouldn't even be surprised if the weird version might literally be what's played in some night club).
FYI, not sure which version you were referring to but the one I heard actually sounds pretty good to me, despite taking some bold liberties as it goes on (fitting for the circumstance it's used for). The beginning of it is a straight but dramatically improved version of the original.

I do wish they got more mileage out of it, though. I think it's just used as the themesong for the thief trio, and isn't used in Wall Market as far as I noticed.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Got my hard drive fixed (replaced with an SSD) and while I’m only in chapter 4 (the end I think) I am absolutely in love with this game. The soundtrack, the new battle system, everything. Love it. Probably the first game I will 100%.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What is the spoiler policy with regards to the original games story? Referring specifically to events outside this first part of the remake.

Anyways, original game spoilers below.

How many parts do we think the whole story will be? Can they do it in three?

Aerith's death seems like the perfect cliffhanger for part two right? With part three being the finale? Is there enough for part 3 in the original story post Aerith death?

Even though I know its coming (....major divergence excluded) it is going to be a f***ing gut punch again. They brought her character to life remarkably well.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
I just found out that this game is coming out in separate installments. Does that mean get get the luxury of spending another $80 for the second one? f***ing christ I'm irritated.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
It had to be a different demo disk then. I distinctly rember being able to play: Test Drive 5, Abe's Odyssey, Ape Escape, Tomb Raider (2?), and a turn-based game. Oh well, though. It's weirdly difficult to find this stuff. Didn't know there were so many variations of demo disks back then.
Might be harder than you think. Abe's Odyssey and Tomb Raider 2 came out in 1997. Test Drive 5 was in 1998 and Ape Escape came out in 1999. There is no way that all 4 of those games would be on the same disc.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What is the spoiler policy with regards to the original games story? Referring specifically to events outside this first part of the remake.

Anyways, original game spoilers below.

How many parts do we think the whole story will be? Can they do it in three?

Aerith's death seems like the perfect cliffhanger for part two right? With part three being the finale? Is there enough for part 3 in the original story post Aerith death?

Even though I know its coming (....major divergence excluded) it is going to be a f***ing gut punch again. They brought her character to life remarkably well.
With the way the first part ended, all of this may be moot and the events of the original game can be thrown into disarray, but in my opinion, there's no doubt in my mind that the story of the original game perfectly breaks off into three pretty complete and distinct story arcs that make sense as their own games:
1) Avalanche vs. Shinra in Midgar,
2) Sephiroth tries to summon meteor and successfully does so with Cloud's help,
3) Shinra + Avalanche tries to stop the Weapons/Meteor.

All of these have very memorable, fitting, and thematically coherent introduction and ending sequences in the original game as well.

Ending the second part on the Aerith death doesn't make any sense, because it merely sets the stage for a resolution to the second story. It would be like ending the first game on the Sector 7 plate coming down, and would feel like a cheap and unsatisfying episodic cliffhanger. Starting the third game with the insanely climactic resolution to that would be even weirder.

In my opinion, the second game should start with the Nibelheim flashback which sets up Cloud's shaky memories and Sephiroth's motivations, have stakes be set by Aerith's death mid-game (the way the plate coming down did), and end with catching up to Sephiroth's final destination at Northern Crater, dramatically revealing that you were following/manipulated by Jenova this entire time, the Zack mind-**** sequence answering a bunch of questions regarding Cloud's past while organically introducing even more intriguing mysteries about it, then finally, Sephiroth successfully summoning meteor, Cloud being abandoned in the lifestream, and the Weapons being unleashed on the world. That would be a note-perfect way to end the installment, IMO (basically the Empire Strikes Back moment, where the villains win and everything is sent into chaos). It would also be an excellent opportunity to end on Tifa's flashback which cleverly connects right back to the beginning of the first game, immediately before the first bombing mission.

There's absolutely enough material to complete a third and final game with the remaining material. My proposal would be that since it's almost a certainty that the second game will have to feature all of the remaining non-optional characters (they all feature well before the Aerith death), Yuffie and Vincent's stories/characters should be saved until the third game (although Yuffie could reasonably be introduced and used the same way Red XIII is in the first game).

In my opinion, the third game should start with them escaping execution and obtaining the Highwind, and then involve story beats such as finding Cloud, elaborate set pieces involving the Weapons, finding Huge Materia/Shinra's attempts to stop the Meteor, significantly more extensively finding out about Vincent/Lucrecia/Hojo's past (there's a ton of really cool and meaty material in there that the original game gets through in like 30 seconds), Cloud finding himself in the lifestream and conclusively answering every mystery about himself and his past, Zack's past/death being fully revealed and elaborated on (I think it would also make sense to pepper his backstory throughout the game, and maybe even have it be the actual intro), Bugenhagen helping them understand how Holy works (setting up the primary theme of the game about whether or not humans are actually good for the planet) and dying, finishing off Shinra, and then finally, the Northern Crater dungeon, Jenova/Sephiroth, and the Meteor ending. I also imagine that there MUST be a clever and elegant way to tie in Huge Materia with Wutai (since their primary conflict is all about Materia) as an opportunity to slide in Yuffie's sidequest and flesh out Wutai's role in all of this.

I think that would work perfectly, personally. The concern isn't whether or not there's enough material, the concern is whether or not it's TOO MUCH material for them to be able to do justice to, considering how both of those involve so many more plot points than the first game. At least there would be less of an excuse for them to add unnecessary padding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Just realized Ive been using guard wrong the whole game. Ive been using it like a counter and trying to time it. That likely would have made Reno easier

:facepalm:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know about you but when I pay $80 for a game, I expect the full release.
I agree that their messaging is very deceptive and suspect, and many people will very reasonably feel cheated by that-- The fact that it's Part 1 should be reflected in its title. However, aside from that, there's no reason not to think of this as "A full release."

The original is essentially a gigantic epic story game. They essentially fleshed out a portion of the story into a full blown action/strategy game that alone is as much worth the price of admission as most other gameplay-oriented AAA action games. It's not like there's LESS substantive and cohesive storytelling here than other AAA action games overall (in fact, there's significantly more, I would say).

Buying Resident Evil 3 for $80, on the other hand (which is arguably no more substantive gameplay-wise, is nowhere near as strong or complete in terms of storytelling, and is nowhere near as rich or sizeable in depth and content) is much more questionable.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
When do people think we're going to hear anything about the remaining parts?

I would have expected around E3 in a normal year.
Eh, tough to say. I think once things get back to normal and the crew gets back at it. Until then nobody knows and I doubt they speculate. I guess the only thing they can really do during this is write more story. Hopefully they can do some stuff at home like video conferences about the game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Eh, tough to say. I think once things get back to normal and the crew gets back at it. Until then nobody knows and I doubt they speculate. I guess the only thing they can really do during this is write more story. Hopefully they can do some stuff at home like video conferences about the game.

Id think theyve already started on it, to be honest. Like, I dont think (or hope) that that we're waiting 5 years for part two. I suspect the story is pretty much done. The engine is obviously ready. If its more then two years out IMO thats a disappointment (pandemic issues would be the exception).

I would think that parts of the team shifted away from pt 1 as it was nearing completion and had moved to pt2. Could be wrong though.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I was ready to be let down by this game, but it is just fantastic. I was expecting it to be a bit more open world given the complaints levied at 13 for being linear, but it really doesn't bother me. Just enough extra to do to keep things interesting and divert from the main story a bit.

I'm going to have to try and sort out what a proper build for each character looks like. Not sure I'm really setting them up properly.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Loving it so far, just on chapter 4 right now and the only thing I’ve died fighting was the wrath hound in a side quest. Still getting the hang of the combat and I’m probably doing it wrong. Also, I really love Jessie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad