Confirmed with Link: Fiala to LA for Brock Faber and '22 1st

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
It's a polarizing move because it involves one of the most talented players that this franchise has ever had.

Fiala was traded. This is the thread to discuss the trade. Not everybody is going to be celebrating that it happened. If that's too negative for you, I don't really know what to say. Aside from one guy that REALLY hates it, I feel like most people have been fairly docile about it, all things considered.
I’ll assume I’m the “one guy”. I’ve been watching this team like religion for 22 years. The vast majority of that 22 years has seen a level of offensive ineptitude that I would assume rivals any stretch of nhl hockey since it’s inception. We finally get lucky and have a superstar in Kap and an offensive dynamo in Fiala and Guerin chooses to splurge on a few 4th line and 3rd pairing plugs instead of doing what’s right and paying Kevin like he should have. It’s beyond infuriating to both watch a player treated like Fiala was and now knowing the team is a large step closer to offensive ineptitude again.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’ll assume I’m the “one guy”. I’ve been watching this team like religion for 22 years. The vast majority of that 22 years has seen a level of offensive ineptitude that I would assume rivals any stretch of nhl hockey since it’s inception. We finally get lucky and have a superstar in Kap and an offensive dynamo in Fiala and Guerin chooses to splurge on a few 4th line and 3rd pairing plugs instead of doing what’s right and paying Kevin like he should have. It’s beyond infuriating to both watch a player treated like Fiala was and now knowing the team is a large step closer to offensive ineptitude again.

No disagreement here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
News flash. You're not the "one guy".

I think al lot of people really hate it. I think overall, people have been docile in this thread just because it was known to be coming for so long. People worked through all their stages of grief with each signing during the season.

I think the Goli signing got most people to the acceptance stage... nobody likes it, most hate it, but everyone had vented and ranted so much in that thread that there's just no energy left in the matter.

So, no. You're not the "one guy" who really hates it as was stated. You may just be a bit behind on running out of energy in saying as much is all.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Unless the right move was keeping him.
How? If Fiala didn't want to sign back...

I mean we can agree that Guerin and Fletcher and Fenton made major mistakes getting here but turning a crap sandwich into something a spider sandwich is better than nothing

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How? If Fiala didn't want to sign back...

I mean we can agree that Guerin and Fletcher and Fenton made major mistakes getting here but turning a crap sandwich into something a spider sandwich is better than nothing

Which probably started when the team filed arbitration instead of signing him long-term last summer.

Reactions: Ori

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Feel like that package for DeBrincat was reserved for Fiala, but he wouldn’t extend with Ottawa.
Could be, though I doubt Ottawa's disappointed.

Very curious to see how these two trades pan out in the long term and if the top of this draft ends up being as weak as some worry it is. I still think Faber was the more valuable piece in this deal, and overall I'd take what we got from LA over #7 from Ottawa. And if Faber really does pan out better than whoever Chicago takes tonight.... woof.

And by "woof" I mean "sweet."

Reactions: Digitalbooya

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Which probably started when the team filed arbitration instead of signing him long-term last summer.

Which deal would people rather have?

#7+#39+2024 3rd
or
#19+Faber

Picks 7 through about 28 are a crapshoot for me.
Started when Guerin decided to buyout Suter and Parise.

Depends on who is there at 19. Also I'd factor in if Minnesota has to move on of their defensemen for Faber. I'd go with the second as Minnesota gets a prospect almost ready to go and not a crapshoot in this year's draft.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Started when Guerin decided to buyout Suter and Parise.

Depends on who is there at 19. Also I'd factor in if Minnesota has to move on of their defensemen for Faber. I'd go with the second as Minnesota gets a prospect almost ready to go and not a crapshoot in this year's draft.

By his own choice.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I blame Koivu partly for the buyout on Parise. Second time he cost Minnesota a good player due to his stubbornness.
He nixed the trade to the Islanders even though the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to be resigned and that the team was moving in a different direction. Islanders could have used a guy like him.

Yes, he had every right to do so but for a guy that was considered the franchise and the epitome of Minnesota kind of sucked he sunk the franchise as much as he could.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Which deal would people rather have?

#7+#39+2024 3rd
or
#19+Faber

Picks 7 through about 28 are a crapshoot for me.
If Gauthier is there at 7 I'd prefer the Chicago package. But if top 6 are the expected top 5 + Gauthier I don't like any of the other players enough to make the first one a more appealing package as I think the Wild are going to have a shot at some surprising names at 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00