Confirmed with Link: Fiala to LA for Brock Faber and '22 1st

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
But he wasn't.

A re-draft, a lot of players go higher and lower... that's called hindsight. That doesn't mean we got 2 first round picks, that isn't reality.
see that's the great thing about having an opinion on things that might differ from yours or someone else's...I'm ok with the return given the landscape the Wild is in.

In my eyes, Faber is more valuable to me than the #19 pick because he could be the replacement for Dumba next year which means either could trade him at the TDL for futures, etc.

A lot of folks here think it's just Guerin's decision to not sign Fiala but no one ever acknowledges that it's possible Fiala was just looking for a large payday and had no desire to really sign an extension here. I mean Guerin did supposedly offer him a contract for $6m+ a year (who knows it could have been just a hair under $7m for all we know) and Fiala turned it down. Maybe it was because the term was only 3 yrs or maybe he turned it down because he wanted to play in LA or something like that.

I think knowing Fiala was offered a contract shoots down the notion that Guerin didn't want Fiala here and please don't come at me with "well the 3yr contract was a lowball offer that Guerin knew would be turned down". $6M+ per year isn't too shabby especially considering his career-high in pts was 54 before last year. Was Fiala a $7M+ player before his current 85 pt season -- NO he wasn't! Add in the fact he no-showed the last 2 playoffs for us and the contract he got from LA was just too rich for my blood even if we had the CAP space to sign him.

just my 2 cents.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
But he wasn't.

A re-draft, a lot of players go higher and lower... that's called hindsight. That doesn't mean we got 2 first round picks, that isn't reality.
I believe when people say we "essentially got two first round picks", they mean in terms of value, not literal return. If we were trading for Faber two years ago, his relative value wouldn't be a 1st. Today it is, thanks to hindsight.

Or maybe Guerin has been a pain in the ass in 2 contract negotiations.
Yeah, probably a bit. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

IAHockey25

Feb 20, 2019
see that's the great thing about having an opinion on things that might differ from yours or someone else's...I'm ok with the return given the landscape the Wild is in.

In my eyes, Faber is more valuable to me than the #19 pick because he could be the replacement for Dumba next year which means either could trade him at the TDL for futures, etc.

A lot of folks here think it's just Guerin's decision to not sign Fiala but no one ever acknowledges that it's possible Fiala was just looking for a large payday and had no desire to really sign an extension here. I mean Guerin did supposedly offer him a contract for $6m+ a year (who knows it could have been just a hair under $7m for all we know) and Fiala turned it down. Maybe it was because the term was only 3 yrs or maybe he turned it down because he wanted to play in LA or something like that.

I think knowing Fiala was offered a contract shoots down the notion that Guerin didn't want Fiala here and please don't come at me with "well the 3yr contract was a lowball offer that Guerin knew would be turned down". $6M+ per year isn't too shabby especially considering his career-high in pts was 54 before last year. Was Fiala a $7M+ player before his current 85 pt season -- NO he wasn't! Add in the fact he no-showed the last 2 playoffs for us and the contract he got from LA was just too rich for my blood even if we had the CAP space to sign him.

just my 2 cents.
I think the interesting deep dive would be:
A. Was LA the only team he would sign a long term deal with?
B. Was Faber really going to play his 4 years out at the U and sign with the Wild?

If both are true, this trade has been in the works between these two teams for awhile.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Using boesers deal where he had a 7.5m QO to the canucks head as a comparable to fiala isnt really sound logic, 6×3 is a respectable deal last year

Reactions: grimmel95

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Only in this Pejorative Slured state would people invent warts on their ppg winger and tow the inept Gms line. Just pathetic. I’m honestly no longer a fan of this team until Guerin is gone. Done

Bye.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was Fiala really that difficult in negotiations, or did Guerin paint himself into a corner with the buyouts and the unexpected success and salary demands from Kaprizov?

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Was Fiala really that difficult in negotiations, or did Guerin paint himself into a corner with the buyouts and the unexpected success and salary demands from Kaprizov?
Do people realize that without the buyouts a decision on Fiala would have had to be made a year earlier? The buyouts bought another year of Fiala and potentially increased the return for him. Was Fiala worth a 1st and A/B level prospect prior to the buyouts? I think we all know the answer to that question!

Reactions: Ban Hammered

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Who else has Guerin had difficulty extending? Kaprizov held out most of the summer. He was also an incredibly unique situation with 1 partial NHL season as experience, a bridge deal not being a viable offer, and a son-of-b agent. Sturm? Guy was offered a good contract but the team made it obvious what his role here will be. He wanted a better opportunity, not like you can really blame him.

Fiala has had 3 opportunities to sign contracts here. They resulted in him hold out long enough to miss the preseason even though he was just signing a bridge deal, the very rare team filed arbitration, and him being traded. The buyouts changed nothing. The current cap hit would be higher without them. He would have been traded last summer without the buyouts.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He was probably hard to negotiate with simply because he felt he should be paid higher than his production was showing at the time as he knew he was better but people dont like to pay on a maybe. yes it happens but BG must not have wanted to or he didnt want to pay a streaky forward top dollar. 3x6 at the time does feel a little low but how much higher was the ask from Fiala?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I still remember early in Fenton's time here when Russo threw out a few times that he was gently trying to convince him that having a beat writer in your corner is a big help for the GM.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
He was probably hard to negotiate with simply because he felt he should be paid higher than his production was showing at the time as he knew he was better but people dont like to pay on a maybe. yes it happens but BG must not have wanted to or he didnt want to pay a streaky forward top dollar. 3x6 at the time does feel a little low but how much higher was the ask from Fiala?
Russo mentioned 6+ so for all we know it could have been closer to 7. My guess is that Fiala wanted something like 8m x 5 or longer-term and the wild just weren't willing to go there on him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Russo mentioned 6+ so for all we know it could have been closer to 7. My guess is that Fiala wanted something like 8m x 5 or longer-term and the wild just weren't willing to go there on him.

Russo mentioned 3 x $6M and them not wanting to go higher than $6.5M on any type of deal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think there's a definite possibility that Fiala felt like he was done with the organization this summer. But I also think that if this was true, that it was an avoidable road that began last summer.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
so for the folks in this thread who say Guerin didn't want Fiala back; does knowing the fact that Fiala was offered a contract last summer change your opinion at all or are you still in the "F" Guerin corner for letting our 85pt winger leave for basically nothing?

At the time Fiala was offered the 3x6 contract he wasn't worth more than that. Fiala bet on himself last summer by accepting the 1yr arb case and he won that bet...so good for him. Still doesn't change the fact that before his arbitration case he wasn't worth more than 6+ on any deal (my opinion of course).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think the Kings took a massive risk on Fiala. But they're a team that's trending upward and needed some established talent. The Wild are stuck in place with the buyout hits so why would they overpay? What more needs to be said about this? The draft is upcoming, the guys who are here will be the ones to determine the future, not a 55-60 point second-line winger with questionable iq and poor attitude.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think the Kings took a massive risk on Fiala. But they're a team that's trending upward and needed some established talent. The Wild are stuck in place with the buyout hits so why would they overpay? What more needs to be said about this? The draft is upcoming, the guys who are here will be the ones to determine the future, not a 55-60 point second-line winger with questionable iq and poor attitude.
As much as I don't think it's fair to call the return the Wild got for Fiala "basically nothing", I also don't think it's fair to call Fiala a 55-60 point second line winger. As of this last year, he's an 85 point 2nd line winger, and even before that he was scoring at 70+ point pace.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
As much as I don't think it's fair to call the return the Wild got for Fiala "basically nothing", I also don't think it's fair to call Fiala a 55-60 point second line winger. As of this last year, he's an 85 point 2nd line winger, and even before that he was scoring at 70+ point pace.
And that's the bet, of course. But you can't count on it, and 8 million bucks is a lot to stake on the possibility of repetition - in a new system, a distracting new city, new teammates, no Boldy, etc.

I'm 100% glad the Wild knew their price and declined to go above it. I believe time will show the wisdom of that restraint.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
so for the folks in this thread who say Guerin didn't want Fiala back; does knowing the fact that Fiala was offered a contract last summer change your opinion at all or are you still in the "F" Guerin corner for letting our 85pt winger leave for basically nothing?

At the time Fiala was offered the 3x6 contract he wasn't worth more than that. Fiala bet on himself last summer by accepting the 1yr arb case and he won that bet...so good for him. Still doesn't change the fact that before his arbitration case he wasn't worth more than 6+ on any deal (my opinion of course).

Not sure it can be both ways here.

I think his issue with the offer was that he just "proved it" on a prove it deal. Most times after doing so, guys expect a commitment from the team, and a 3 year deal isn't quite that.

Guerin has definitely tipped his hand as to the type of guys that he is comfortable going longer term with (Spurgeon, Brodin, Eriksson Ek) and Fiala isn't in that mold. We'll see about Dumba.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Fiala wanted term and was willing to sign here, the lack of money offered changed that. 7x7 was not an outrageous offer to give him last year or the year prior.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Fiala was 100% worth more than a 3 x $6M contract. The report from every Fiala contract negotiation was that he wanted a long-term deal. He just signed a 7 year deal for $7.9M, which consisted of 6 UFA years. So without a doubt he would’ve been cheaper last summer and that is when he should have been locked up long-term.

Plenty of people here were completely fine with him getting $7M on a long-term deal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fiala was 100% worth more than a 3 x $6M contract. The report from every Fiala contract negotiation was that he wanted a long-term deal. He just signed a 7 year deal for $7.9M, which consisted of 6 UFA years. So without a doubt he would’ve been cheaper last summer and that is when he should have been locked up long-term.

Plenty of people here were completely fine with him getting $7M on a long-term deal.

No reports of the contract discussions with LA being "contentious" either. Weird.

Reactions: AKL

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
No reports of the contract discussions with LA being "contentious" either. Weird.
Maybe the NMC was part of the issue also? I am not gonna go over the top to defend BG for letting him walk but if a NMC was part of the hangup (which as far as i found was never mentioned as an issue) then i wont fault BG as i dont want us to keep handing them out.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

Why should Fiala have to take another 3 year deal , how many “Bridge” contracts is he supposed to sign? Fiala wanted term and a commitment from the team and they told him to f*** off. I don’t blame Fiala one bit for turning down 3x anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad