Confirmed with Link: Ferland Re-Signed, Two Year Deal, $825k AAV

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he still absolutely has to earn his spot. But based on how the season ended, I think the coaches probably have him pencilled in the opening night roster. If he has sub par camp though, he could very well lose his spot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he still absolutely has to earn his spot. But based on how the season ended, I think the coaches probably have him pencilled in the opening night roster. If he has sub par camp though, he could very well lose his spot.

I think they have him penciled in along with Stajan for some tough bottom six minutes; the way they talk about him in Calgary over the summer getting jacked... Like he will have to be a complete dud to lose this spot. I'm thinking that he'd have to be really bad to not get a spot; he'll shine during the pre-season games when he can really run people.

Everyone involved with this team loves him, and think he's got great upside. I'll trust them more than random internet posters who watched a couple minor league games :laugh:

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not as high as most people on Ferland, but I'm definitely not as pessimistic as 100TG. I just don't feel a human body can remain intact and healthy playing an entire season the way he played in that Vancouver series. And I fear if he loses a bit of that edge, he won't be playing as effective as he can. But what keeps me slightly optimistic is that he is a smart player and has some strong natural offensive abilities. He also doesn't seem to be a liability in his own end. So if Ferland is able to somehow find a reserve and use that "hit every thing that moves" when it counts, then I feel he will be able to compete in the NHL fairly consistently.

Again though, seeing how well he played in the playoffs last year is a testament to how good of a coach Bob is. He definitely pushed the right buttons to make Ferland a monster. now he's gonna have a tougher task to keep that monster motivated for 82 games.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Was looking up stats and come across Ferland's...who's corsi metrics are shockingly decent, really good shot and goal supression and does so with pretty tough assignments. At this point I'd say he's actually underrated....pretty much an ideal 4th liner.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was looking up stats and come across Ferland's...who's corsi metrics are shockingly decent, and does so with pretty tough assignments. At this point I'd say he's actually underrated....pretty much the ideal 4th liner.
that would make him overrated, many seem to think he's a future top 6 scorer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Was looking up stats and come across Ferland's...who's corsi metrics are shockingly decent, really good shot and goal supression and does so with pretty tough assignments. At this point I'd say he's actually underrated....pretty much an ideal 4th liner.

Ferland has 2.58% PFenSH% this season. Last season over the 35 games he played he shot 7.58%.

If he was shooting last season's percentages this season, he would have 12 goals to go with his 11 assists. 23 points in 68 games would be true third liner production.

It's very possible he breaks out next year just by shooting the percentages he did a season ago.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
that would make him overrated, many seem to think he's a future top 6 scorer

Only optimistic think he's a top 6 player, because his scoring will never get there. Also actually I take that back, he's better than the ideal 4th liner, right now he metrics put him AT LEAST 3rd liner actually and a pretty good one. Looking further, his common linemates aren't even that good metrics wise, and his qoc and zone starts all look good as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lmao @ Ferland being a good 3rd liner, another reason why fancy stats are not worth ****

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
lmao @ Ferland being a good 3rd liner, another reason why fancy stats are not worth ****

It could be one lucky season, but if it does it again next year then I'm less inclined to call it bs. It's not just one or a few metrics that are good, or that "he plays on a stacked team" or "he plays with great players."

The problem isn't the stats but more of how people use them. They should never be the starting point of why you think a certain way, they are useful once you have a hypothesis.

That would be the opposite of what I'd do, I'd look at the ALL the numbers first and see what they tell me then try to formulate why the numbers is the way they are.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ferland is this years Byron. A little patience with him and he will score at 10-15 goals a year while being a monster. I'll admit he doesn't look like a top-six yet but I still think he's going to be a great third liner.

He's also improved in a lot of ways. Last year he was running around looking for the big hit. It often took him out of position. This year he plays a much more NHL style. That said, if we ever do make the playoffs again I fully expect Ferkland to be truly unleashed

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
And thats why so many people discount stats because they are misused.

Not really. Forming a hypothesis before you have anything just creates bias and seeking the information you want to hear. You look at data results/experiments/phenomenon, then formulate a hypothesis, then test the hypothesis. Or if you want sure, formulate a hypothesis...if you hypothesis is "Ferland sucks" and then look at all the data...it's says that he's actually a decent player.

Ferland is this years Byron. A little patience with him and he will score at 10-15 goals a year while being a monster. I'll admit he doesn't look like a top-six yet but I still think he's going to be a great third liner.

He's also improved in a lot of ways. Last year he was running around looking for the big hit. It often took him out of position. This year he plays a much more NHL style. That said, if we ever do make the playoffs again I fully expect Ferkland to be truly unleashed

Yes kinda, in terms of situation...different players obviously.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not really. Forming a hypothesis before you have anything just creates bias and seeking the information you want to hear. You look at data results and experiments, then formulate a hypothesis, then test the hypothesis.

Are you suggesting both formulating a hypothesis and testing it using advanced stats? At some point, you need to compare what you're seeing in either case. Otherwise you're going to be left with the shortcomings of analytics systematically biasing what you see.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not really. Forming a hypothesis before you have anything just creates bias and seeking the information you want to hear. You look at data results/experiments/phenomenon, then formulate a hypothesis, then test the hypothesis. Or if you want sure, formulate a hypothesis...if you hypothesis is "Ferland sucks" and then look at all the date...it's says that he's actually a decent player.

:laugh: I have a degree in stats that is day 1.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
His common teammates are not Gaudreau and Monahan, nor does he receive a lot of "1st liner" icetime.

Last edited by a moderator:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
His common teammates are not Gaudreau and Monahan, nor does he receive a lot of "1st liner" icetime.

Since the first time Hartley tried Ferland in a top 6 role (Dec 22 2015) Ferland has spent 147:00 of his 5v5 ice time with Sean Monahan, and 331:00 away from Sean Monahan.

That is 30.8% of his ice time on Monahan's wing.

Or, "every third game for the last three and a half months"

Additionally, he's spent 120:05 of those minutes away from Monahan, on Backlund's wing.

That totals 54.8 of his 5v5 ice time for that period spent in a top 6 role.

Additionally, he's played 58.2 on the power play since that date. The Flames have played 248.9 on the PP since, so Ferland has been on the ice for 23.4% of the power play time over that span.

But he's not even a third liner.

Last edited:

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Since the first time Hartley tried Ferland in a top 6 role (Dec 22 2015) Ferland has spent 147:00 of his 5v5 ice time with Sean Monahan, and 331:00 away from Sean Monahan.

That is 30.8% of his ice time on Monahan's wing.

Or, "every third game for the last three and a half months"

Additionally, he's spent 120:05 of those minutes away from Monahan, on Backlund's wing.

That totals 54.8 of his ice time for that period spent in a top 6 role.

But he's not even a third liner.

Even with that, his TOI numbers overall do not indicate they are his common teammates, his good metrics aren't "boosted" by playing with Monahan a bit (who actually has pretty meh metrics). Backlund as pretty godlike metrics but even with that we'd expect people who spent more time with Backlund to be outdoing him by a lot...but they aren't.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time...+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I still like him, a lot. He hasn't produced this year, but it's first full season in the NHL. If he can get to be a 10-15 goal scorer a year and throw the body around without getting hurt, he'll be highly useful.

He's been super inconsistent this year though. I think he's in his head far to much.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Even with that, his TOI numbers overall do not indicate his common teammates, his good metrics aren't "boosted" by playing with Monahan a bit.
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_time...+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

I never said anything about his metrics being boosted by playing with Monahan. Or Backlund.

I only said that he's spent over half his 5v5 ice time since it was first tried, in a top 6 role, yet some how there's something laughable about calling him a 'good' (not even 'great') third liner. Certain posters must be smarter than Hartley.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I still like him, a lot. He hasn't produced this year, but it's first full season in the NHL. If he can get to be a 10-15 goal scorer a year and throw the body around without getting hurt, he'll be highly useful.

He's been super inconsistent this year though. I think he's in his head far to much.

Really a young guy in his first full season having an up and down season. What a dud.

I like him as well. He's going to be a nice bottom 6 guy on this team for a while.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Really a young guy in his first full season having an up and down season. What a dud.

I like him as well. He's going to be a nice bottom 6 guy on this team for a while.

This is pretty much how I feel about him at this point. I think his first full pro season took its toll on him. Give him an offseason to adjust, I think he'll be better next year. Why do people have to make him into something he's not? He'll likely be a solid addition to the bottom six. I've seen flashes of top 6 talent, but they are few and far between. Doubtful he ever becomes the top 6 PWF most hope for. Doesn't mean he's not a welcome addition to this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad