Confirmed with Link: Ferland Re-Signed, Two Year Deal, $825k AAV

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
What kind of ****ed up suggestion is it to reward someone for not going to jail and not being a drunk? His temper and his addiction issues are reasons why you should never sign him long term.

And 9 games trumps 2 years? That's ridiculous

What a nonsensical, and bizarrely angry comment. He's not being rewarded for not going to jail. He's being rewarded for playing well and showing huge upside.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Irrelevant contract for an irrelevant player.

Seriously, getting a second year was great work by Treliving. Asset management and long term planning are hard to understand concepts but at least the Flames get it.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
We weren't watching the same player then. I agree he was crap (not really the right word, he was all over the place and a total mess) in his first call up (November?) and was sent back down for obvious reasons. I don't know exactly what the difference was, but he was clearly better the second call-up. I thought he was generally better positionally, and became a whirling dervish in the ploffs.

Maybe one of the advanced stats guys can roll out one of those things that shows if it was a better quality of linemate or something.
Teammates weren't enough to make a difference either way.

I'm not the adv stats guy who overrates the influence of tough zone starts but after the second call-up, he had a -17.9 ZSO%Rel. Basically, he was buried in the defensive zone. He still had solid possession numbers and that is, even before round 1. It's impressive for a rookie call-up to handle not-easy minutes so well.

It's a small sample size even for corsi events, but him playing very well on his second call-up, outside of the 2nd round, matches well with what I and others like you saw.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
He definitely earned a contract, no doubt in my mind about that. I think a 2 year deal is good because if he signed to only one year then he might have performed well this upcoming season and demanded a higher salary the following season

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Doesn't seem like an overpay to me. Guy's still making peanuts as far as the NHL and the Flames. He was a huge impact player against the Nucks in the first round. Pretty hard to begrudge it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Before he signed this, I stated that I thought he would get a 2-year deal @ 875k. I think this is a very fair contract considering everything such as past performance, potential and expectations. I legit believe Ferland has 20 goal upside, in saying that he has a long, long way to get there.

I'm going to share what Treliving said in an interview today.

-Earlier this year he was contacted by a GM that asked if Ferland was available, he essentially replied flat out "absolutely not" (pretty telling IMO).

-Tre said, this teams scouts had Ferland ranked as the top prospect in the entire AHL.

At first I thought I heard that incorrectly, but Rob Kerr also clarified to make sure that comment was accurate. Kerr asked him, "So you're saying that the teams scout had him as the top prospect in the AHL and not just the Flames top player", to which Treliving replied "Yes".

It's abundantly clear that the Flames are very high on Ferland, they didn't want to even entertain dealing him. Treliving said that he doesn't expect him to play the type of game he did against Vancouver over 82 games, but said he needs to get close to that level and be more consistent overall. He admitted the players inconsistencies, hence the deal he got, but thinks there's a lot there and that he's got tremendous potential. Lastly he said that he's basically been in Calgary the entire summer with our trainer Ryan van Ansten. Apparently he's easily in the best shape of his life and he's very pumped for camp.

I am not bothered about his drinking and past. He's cleaned himself up and worked his butt off so I'm pulling for him. This was a guy that was a fairly prolific scorer in Jr., he started hockey late, I've said this before but he's still evolving as a player. I'm excited about him and hope he succeeds. I'm not 100% sure of his upside, but I feel confident in saying that he has top 9 upside (even next year), and potentially top 6 long term, but he really needs to work on consistency to get to that point.

Good signing!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Beauty. Love me some Ferly; excited to see him in tip top condition and completely sober.

This is smart for Calgary giving him that two years; cost controlled and at worst some arb at the end. Also, LOL at anyone crying about this contract; we gave the Gooch more to do less and no one said anything about it. <1mil is easy to manage.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Me neither, but it's not horribly bad as he'd be the lowest paid guy on the team. It doesn't handcuff the team in any event (from a cap standpoint) and it ain't my money so I give no ****s.

The contract is also back-loaded, meaning his QO after this contract is up is based on the $900,000 salary he'd be making next season.

He definitely earned it with what he did to the Canucks in one playoff series.

Heck, Flames fans have not have that much excitement in the last 20 yrs.

If he doesnt perform then he is gone. 1M is nothing in the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys, debate the topic not the poster. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no need to make anything personal.

Cheers!

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We weren't watching the same player then. I agree he was crap (not really the right word, he was all over the place and a total mess) in his first call up (November?) and was sent back down for obvious reasons. I don't know exactly what the difference was, but he was clearly better the second call-up. I thought he was generally better positionally, and became a whirling dervish in the ploffs.

Maybe one of the advanced stats guys can roll out one of those things that shows if it was a better quality of linemate or something.

No need for advanced stat.

Matt Stajan is a better center than anyone we had in our bottom 6 in November, and a true veteran that can teach on and off the ice. Further, Ferland was recovering from concussion in November and probably wasn't 100% until February. Ferly was called up pretty much the week he broke his scoring drought in the A, which is a sign they were sort of "waiting" on him to find his game again.

I didn't think Ferland looked bad in November anyways though. He was incredibly snakebitten and additionally a lot of the time our bottom 6 guys were thrown out there with the nightmare Engelland/Smid pairing instead of the blissful Schlemko/Diaz pairing or TJ Brodie/Anchor pairing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guys, debate the topic not the poster. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no need to make anything personal.

Cheers!

That Hoxville guy, pshhhhhhh.

:laugh:

Good for Ferland and the Flames for this deal. He's a good player and has some good potential!

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
No need for advanced stat.

Matt Stajan is a better center than anyone we had in our bottom 6 in November, and a true veteran that can teach on and off the ice. Further, Ferland was recovering from concussion in November and probably wasn't 100% until February. Ferly was called up pretty much the week he broke his scoring drought in the A, which is a sign they were sort of "waiting" on him to find his game again.

I didn't think Ferland looked bad in November anyways though. He was incredibly snakebitten and additionally a lot of the time our bottom 6 guys were thrown out there with the nightmare Engelland/Smid pairing instead of the blissful Schlemko/Diaz pairing or TJ Brodie/Anchor pairing.
Plus he's got all the confidence in the world going into training camp and it sounds like he's been working out lots so I fully expect him to be a full time NHL player ready to take Bieksa's head off.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The whole point of the 2 year deal is to space out the contracts. If Ferly establishes himself as a bottom 6 NHLer who can contribute, than he'd be due for another raise, along with Monahan, Gaudreau, Hudler, Russell, etc. And the 1 way means nothing to Treliving as he said there was no way Ferland would clear waivers anyways.

It's very obvious that everyone from Treliving to Conroy to Hartley are high on him, both Tre and Conny said they feel he has the potential to bring the physical game nightly, while contributing upwards of 20 goals a season.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I think that many posters don't get why this is such a good deal for the Flames, and gives Ferland some security.

Ferland is now guaranteed clsoe to $2M regardless of what happens. If he ends up being a very good player, the 2nd year where he probbaly gives some money away will longed be irrelevant. If he ends up stinking, he has some dough.

From the Flames perspective, they potentially save some big money in year #2 on the cap if he succeeds this year. And the cap risk is zero, as they could always send him down and save his entire cap hit. They may have gambled a bit of cash, but they haven't gambled any cap. And that's what should be important to us fans.

And that's why this is so much better for the Flames than a 1-year prove me deal.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
[mod]

Ferland on a 2 year low dollar deal is a great deal for the flames. Nobody can argue that. If he ***** the bed who cares, the contract is barely above league minimum and it's short term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
[mod]

Ferland on a 2 year low dollar deal is a great deal for the flames. Nobody can argue that. If he ***** the bed who cares, the contract is barely above league minimum and it's short term.
That is clearly not true at all.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
They may have gambled a bit of cash, but they haven't gambled any cap. And that's what should be important to us fans.

It's more than that.

Signing Ferland to a one year deal would be gambling cap, because he has arbitration rights in 2016.

The Flames probably know full well that a 20 goal season out of Ferland could put him into a Bouma type overpayment category due to Arbitration. The 2016-17 season is a cap nightmare so delaying any bigger contract to the 2017 will be huge when the team gets cap savings galore.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That is clearly not true at all.

you could argue that. But you shouldn't. You obviously just don't like Ferland.

You've made it very clear over the years you don't like certain players for no reason at all: Ortio, Ferland, Ramo, Byron for example.

Yet you defend other players until no end: Eg. Hiller, Engelland, Klimchuk, Jankowski Bollig.

And then you present your opinions as facts, and anyone that disagrees is a lunatic. I don't get it?

There is no risk in this deal. At worst Ferland is a fourth line goon/ police officer. At best, he gains some consistency in his game and becomes the legit scoring line power forward our team is sorely in need of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad