Confirmed with Link: Ferland Re-Signed, Two Year Deal, $825k AAV

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's funny how hard on rookies our fan base is.

He was the best player on the ice against LA. He destroyed 3 or 4 guys and was a force in the offensive zone. Best game he had all year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He was the best player on the ice against LA. He destroyed 3 or 4 guys and was a force in the offensive zone. Best game he had all year.

If he physically dominates 5-10 games a season or goes into hyper mode for a playoff series... Not sure what more than people want.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If he physically dominates 5-10 games a season or goes into hyper mode for a playoff series... Not sure what more than people want.

That's the thing. People see him physically dominate games once in a blue moon, and so they want to see him doing that every game. I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation of him going forward.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's the thing. People see him physically dominate games once in a blue moon, and so they want to see him doing that every game. I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation of him going forward.

How many players in the NHL can physically overwhelm a game 70+ games a season; those are generally called all-stars, or elite power forwards hehe.

If he can do it 10% of the season... It's all you can really ask for. If he chips in 10-15 goals and 25-35 points... That's pretty much want you want from your bottom 6.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

He's not a rookie.

And his play is exactly what I said to expect after others were anointing his a god after the playoffs.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
There's only so much punishment the human body can take. Hathaway will slow down as well.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
In favor of Ferland, he has the best puck skills and ability to navigate through traffic (especially in the offensive zone) of anybody in the bottom 6. He's definitely a skilled winger, who also likes to hit, and I feel like this will be his description for any regular season games in his future. He's not dynamite offensively, but he makes the right plays and can actually complete a pass under pressure. Despite being in his 3rd full pro season, he only had 100 pro games before this year. He's still young and there's still development left.

I'm envisioning 25-30 points for him on Bennett's wing next year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is hilarious coming from a guy who vehemently argues Colborne was a rookie with the Flames.

Argues? It's not an argument. Joe Colborne was a rookie with the Flames, unless you make up a definition different than the NHL uses.

By the same coin, Micheal Ferland is not a rookie, unless again you make up a definition different than the NHL uses.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
How many players in the NHL can physically overwhelm a game 70+ games a season; those are generally called all-stars, or elite power forwards hehe.

If he can do it 10% of the season... It's all you can really ask for. If he chips in 10-15 goals and 25-35 points... That's pretty much want you want from your bottom 6.

Exactly this. And learning to be consistent is what every young player has to go through, this only being his first real full season as a pro.

And there's simply no way you can physically dominate for 70+ games unless you're Matt Martin or Cal Clutterbuck whose only job is to crash and bang. Ferland has enough skill to not end up as a mere crash and banger.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I want him to play like Hathaway plays every game.

There's only so much punishment the human body can take. Hathaway will slow down as well.

Same with how Jooris slowed down after a fantastic 1st season (well, first half of the season). He was the prototype forward of our system last year who is always quick on his feet, hard on the forecheck, and always competes. Not many players will be able to retain that level of intensity for 82 games every season no matter how good of an athlete the player is.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
a definition different than the NHL uses.

The NHL definition is based on arbitrary amount of games played. Fact is, Colborne had 18 games of NHL experience as a 24 year old "rookie" and Ferland had 35 games of NHL experience as a 23 year old "not rookie". If you're going to preach "patience" and "first full season" for player A due to "lack of experience" and then write off player B as "a finished product" you should be called out on the hypocrisy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The NHL definition is based on arbitrary amount of games played. Fact is, Colborne had 18 games of NHL experience as a 24 year old "rookie" and Ferland had 35 games of NHL experience as a 23 year old "not rookie". If you're going to preach "patience" and "first full season" for player A due to "lack of experience" and then write off player B as "a finished product" you should be called out on the hypocrisy.

I don't think so in this case. Last season, Ferland played himself into being a first-team regular and got to experience that for more than 20 games plus a playoff run (until injury put an end to that, of course). In other words, he got the rookie experience last year. This year was him coming back as a player who already established himself and showing it was no fluke (and struggling in the process). That's the sophomore experience.

Joe Colborne got to be a fringe call-up a few times as a Leaf. He was never a first-team regular for any significant stretch of time, and so when he came to Calgary, it was very much as a rookie. This was his first time getting to be an NHL regular.

So it's a both subjectively and objectively correct to distinguish current Ferland as a sophomore and 2013/14 Colborne as a rookie.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He has definitely struggled at times this year, seems too focused on not making positional mistakes and taking short shifts. Some players can be effective playing conservatively, I'm not sure Michael Ferland is one of them. He's at his best when he's crashing the net and getting in the other team's face, and he needs to be at his best to be considered a net positive playing for this hockey club. Anybody who thought his performance last playoffs would just carry into this season was kidding themselves though, nobody is doing that for 82 games.

Any experience is good experience so it's not like this season was a step back for him by any means. Shows he needs improvement and I expect the coaching staff and trainers will work with him extensively over the summer to help him get there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Argues? It's not an argument. Joe Colborne was a rookie with the Flames, unless you make up a definition different than the NHL uses.

By the same coin, Micheal Ferland is not a rookie, unless again you make up a definition different than the NHL uses.
How dare I follow the NHL definition of rookie

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Should definitely show patience with Colborne, but write Ferland off as a plug :sarcasm:

First full season, up and down, I'm satisfied though, he's shown plenty of flashes of what he's capable of.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Should definitely show patience with Colborne, but write Ferland off as a plug :sarcasm:

First full season, up and down, I'm satisfied though, he's shown plenty of flashes of what he's capable of.
Some players simply do not show the commitment needed to be more than a plug. Even plugs need consistency in effort and the areas of the game they are good at. As I have mentioned before when Ferland stops using his body it also has a negative impact on his offensive game. He is a non-factor far too often. This is the first year many of you have seen this, but for me I saw the same thing in the AHL, so I see this as a pattern. JUst like I saw a pattern of inconsistent effort in Baertschi.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Some players simply do not show the commitment needed to be more than a plug. Even plugs need consistency in effort and the areas of the game they are good at. As I have mentioned before when Ferland stops using his body it also has a negative impact on his offensive game. He is a non-factor far too often. This is the first year many of you have seen this, but for me I saw the same thing in the AHL, so I see this as a pattern. JUst like I saw a pattern of inconsistent effort in Baertschi.

At the same time, there is still value in a bottom six guy who fades into the background for 82 games then turns into a beast in the playoffs. It's a luxury if the team is good enough to support that kind of player during the regular season. Kinda like Brian Bickell.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At the same time, there is still value in a bottom six guy who fades into the background for 82 games then turns into a beast in the playoffs. It's a luxury if the team is good enough to support that kind of player during the regular season. Kinda like Brian Bickell.
I think he can be a valuable bottom 6 player, no doubt. But my issue is people making him out to be more than he is. With how the league is now, he should be on the checking line playing a physical game, creating energy and chipping in occasionally offensively. That is not a know as I think he can be as valuable as Bouma, who I also think should be on the checking line.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really don't think Ferland will be anything more than a gritty 4th liner.

In favor of Ferland, he has the best puck skills and ability to navigate through traffic (especially in the offensive zone) of anybody in the bottom 6. He's definitely a skilled winger, who also likes to hit, and I feel like this will be his description for any regular season games in his future. He's not dynamite offensively, but he makes the right plays and can actually complete a pass under pressure. Despite being in his 3rd full pro season, he only had 100 pro games before this year. He's still young and there's still development left.

I'm envisioning 25-30 points for him on Bennett's wing next year.

If he's on Bennett's wing, then our top 6 is going to be weak. I'd rather see him on the 4th line with Stajan and Hathaway.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Another great game by Ferly

He had a sequence weaving end-to-end that was Gaudreau-esque, started the rush from behind his Dmen and finished the rush with a good chance IIRC. His ability to stickhandle through neutral ice along with that size, skating, and intelligence will keep him in the NHL a very long time. He is not a generic third liner at all.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
He had a sequence weaving end-to-end that was Gaudreau-esque, started the rush from behind his Dmen and finished the rush with a good chance IIRC. His ability to stickhandle through neutral ice along with that size, skating, and intelligence will keep him in the NHL a very long time. He is not a generic third liner at all.

And out of anyone in the current bottom 6, he's probably the most poised with the puck when he's carrying it out himself from the defensive zone.

I don't see why people are able to just put him down into a career bottom 6'er when you see that he can actually make the plays that top 6 forwards can - quickly carrying the puck through the neutral zone, beating the defender at the blueline using his size and speed, and making effective decisions with the puck. For him it's just a matter of doing it consistently.

You didn't see players like Jooris, Granlund, Bouma, Jones, Stajan, and even Colborne make those kinds of plays as much as he did. And that's why they're not going to be anywhere near the top 6 consistently. If Ferland can figure out his consistency, it's just not hard to see that he has a much better chance than the other current bottom 6'ers to end up in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00