Confirmed with Link: Ferland Re-Signed, Two Year Deal, $825k AAV

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They said the same thing when I didn't buy into the Sven hype too.

That reason is simple bud, I just don't think he's that good.

It's fair enough. Hope you're wrong! :D

I guess a lot of people, myself included, don't feel that $875K for two years represents as much of a commitment as you're making it out to be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's fair enough. Hope you're wrong! :D

I guess a lot of people, myself included, don't feel that $875K for two years represents as much of a commitment as you're making it out to be.

As said my biggest issue is what it could mean for other players down the line. I think every year you need the contract space to add 10-15 contracts and giving 2 year deals to guys that haven't established themselves as a fixture in the lineup makes that more difficult.

Also I would love to be wrong.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's why I'd give him a 1 year deal instead of walking away from him. Without the playoff I would have been fine if he wasn't given a qualifying offer.

omuA4kx.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
As said my biggest issue is what it could mean for other players down the line. I think every year you need the contract space to add 10-15 contracts and giving 2 year deals to guys that haven't established themselves as a fixture in the lineup makes that more difficult.

Also I would love to be wrong.

The following players who were given qualifying offers were given these contracts:

Arnold - QO / 1y
BVB - QO / 1y
Elson - QO / 1y
Agostino - QO / 1y
Shore - QO / 1y
Byron - 900 / 1y
Jooris - 975 / 1y
Ferland - 825/2y

Only one of them is multi-year, and it's the player with the highest risk of being very expensive to retain a year from now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The following players who were given qualifying offers were given these contracts:

Arnold - QO / 1y
BVB - QO / 1y
Elson - QO / 1y
Agostino - QO / 1y
Shore - QO / 1y
Byron - 900 / 1y
Jooris - 975 / 1y
Ferland - 825/2y

Only one of them is multi-year, and it's the player with the highest risk of being very expensive to retain a year from now.
Apparently you didn't understand the first sentence of what you quoted.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I dunno 100TG, I mean he got 825k over 2 years. That's pretty minuscule if you think about it. It's pretty clear that management really likes him and he's now cost controlled for 2 years. I just really don't see any negatives here. If he doesn't progress, or regresses, it's a non issue. As far as precedent goes, the Flames like him, plain and simple. He fills a need and they like his upside. It's not as if the precedent they are setting is signing a guy to over a million dollars and King term. It's very low risk, personally I really like this deal given what this player brings.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To each their own Hox, I respectively disagree. He simply hasn't earned it. Always given and never earned I suppose.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To each their own Hox, I respectively disagree. He simply hasn't earned it. Always given and never earned I suppose.

If it was 1.15 per, I'd be like yeah that's probably a little steep. We view him differently, so I get your resistance to him. I just think this works more in the Flames favour when you consider how they view his place in the organization. I think they project him to be a regular top 9 player that can bring a physical edge and chip in occasional offence.

As always though I respect your opinion and hope you are wrong here ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If it was 1.15 per, I'd be like yeah that's probably a little steep. We view him differently, so I get your resistance to him. I just think this works more in the Flames favour when you consider how they view his place in the organization. I think they project him to be a regular top 9 player that can bring a physical edge and chip in occasional offence.

As always though I respect your opinion and hope you are wrong here ;)
I hope I'm wrong too. The more I've talked about it, the more Sven parallels I see, lol

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think you could find two players that are more different from each other Sven and Ferland.

He's not referring to playing styles at all. He means both have shown flashes, both have shown to be inconsistent, both have been favourites of management.

Personally I think Ferland has better tools to be a better player in the NHL, but ultimately only time will tell.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder if Ferland would have accepted a 15-year, $22.5m deal. $1.5m a year, but that's still $22.5m guaranteed.

Wouldn't you? Dude could just go back to boozing it up and not worry about anything.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
He's not referring to playing styles at all. He means both have shown flashes, both have shown to be inconsistent, both have been favourites of management.

Personally I think Ferland has better tools to be a better player in the NHL, but ultimately only time will tell.

Gotcha. Well, I think Ferland deserves quite a few more games until he's compared with Sven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad