GDT: Feb. 12 • Women's • Group A • Canada vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I love how the Americans are complaining about the blown call on the second game, yet conveniently forget the absolute disgrace of the Gold medal game in Salt lake City where the refs attempted to do their upmost to help USA win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkLR5g_-IMI

Be happy this happened in a round robin game, not in the final.

Oh so just because something happened to Canada 12 years ago, American fans are supposed to just be fine with a call that dramatically impacted the outcome of a game? A game that granted had no bearing on much, but is still a great tool to gain momentum for any team that manages to win. Canadians get mad at a blown icing call and then turn around and chastise Americans for the same behavior? Come on man. Let us vent, don't see what it does to you in the grand scheme of things.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I don't disagree. The game was fairly meaningless, except as a set up for the next time they play.

It just irks me a bit to see people trying to justify it. It was a bad call. Just because it was a quick whistle doesn't change that. Play is dead the instant the whistle blows. Quick whistles happen all the time, and you see them in every game. It's a bit more unusual to see a goal called good when the whistle blows before it crosses the line. The referee needs to make decisions based on what they actually see, not in response to the players. I think that call tainted a good game.

At any rate, if the US wants the gold, they'll shake it off and move on. I'm confident they will. On to the next game(for both teams).

It's international hockey. Sometimes it doesn't make sense. And, unless the U.S. ends up losing against the 3rd place team in a playoff, in a week, it will be nothing but a crazy distant memory.

Believe me, if I was God for today, I would have preferred the loss for Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephenson2*

I love how the Americans are complaining about the blown call on the second game, yet conveniently forget the absolute disgrace of the Gold medal game in Salt lake City where the refs attempted to do their upmost to help USA win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkLR5g_-IMI

Be happy this happened in a round robin game, not in the final.

I love how Canadians keep whining about a game that happened 12 years ago and they still won...:shakehead

Good lord you guys are insufferable.

HABS win CUPS*

I'd say this game was very meaningful I didn't I think team Canada had a chance at all against team USA on the women's side

These games Are ALL meaningful

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
As a neutral, I thought it was a good game to watch. Not sure why all the US complaining, the ref allowed both teams to play physically. As for the too many men calls, the linos missed two for a few seconds that made no difference whatsoever.

Now the second Canadian 'goal'. The ref called it a goal on the ice even though replays showed the whistle to have blown slightly before the puck crossed the line, but IN HER OPINION the puck was already in when she blew. Not reviewable therefore, correctly, goal given.

As for the comparison to supposedly superior NHL reffing you just have to look on this board to see there are complaints after nearly every match, refs are bad wherever you go and at whatever level.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I love how Canadians keep whining about a game that happened 12 years ago and they still won...:shakehead

Good lord you guys are insufferable.

No need to insult us.

I'd say this game was very meaningful I didn't I think team Canada had a chance at all against team USA on the women's side

These games Are ALL meaningful

I don't know, buddy. Again, unless the U.S. loses in the semis, I am not sure how this game has any meaning at all.

Ducksgo*

I'm still baffled by that totally obvious hand pass by Canada and there was no call. This game was just all sorts of bad :(

Stephenson2*

No need to insult us.

I don't know, buddy. Again, unless the U.S. loses in the semis, I am not sure how this game has any meaning at all.

I didn't mean all of you, just a few. I can't edit it. :)

Just a frustrating game to wake up at 430 and see that. It was a big part of the game and we gave a right to be upset. I'm done arguing it though, nobody's opinion will change regardless.

JetsFlyHigh

Aug 5, 2012
As a neutral, I thought it was a good game to watch. Not sure why all the US complaining, the ref allowed both teams to play physically. As for the too many men calls, the linos missed two for a few seconds that made no difference whatsoever.

Now the second Canadian 'goal'. The ref called it a goal on the ice even though replays showed the whistle to have blown slightly before the puck crossed the line, but IN HER OPINION the puck was already in when she blew. Not reviewable therefore, correctly, goal given.

As for the comparison to supposedly superior NHL reffing you just have to look on this board to see there are complaints after nearly every match, refs are bad wherever you go and at whatever level.

This.

/thread

jgoud*

I agree the refs were awful today, but anybody saying the goal shouldn't have counted and costed the US the game needs to stop being a whiny baby. It should have counted regardless of what the ref did because she shouldn't have blowed the whistle in the first place. If the roles were reversed and the US scored, yet it was called off, everybody would be freaking out and I know zero of those (Americans) who are arguing against the call right now would be saying "well, she did blow the whistle, goal shouldn't have counted."

The goal was well deserved. Quit crying about losing one ****ing game. They'll be playing each other again in the final.

Ducksgo*

Game is being replayed again on NBCSports right now for anyone interested

HABS win CUPS*

No need to insult us.

In the sense that it shows Canada they can win, I didn't think we had much chance going into this game at all with he recent head to head record of these two teams

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I agree the refs were awful today, but anybody saying the goal shouldn't have counted and costed the US the game needs to stop being a whiny baby. It should have counted regardless of what the ref did because she shouldn't have blowed the whistle in the first place. If the roles were reversed and the US scored, yet it was called off, everybody would be freaking out and I know zero of those (Americans) who are arguing against the call right now would be saying "well, she did blow the whistle, goal shouldn't have counted."

The goal was well deserved. Quit crying about losing one ****ing game. They'll be playing each other again in the final.

So going forward goals should count after the play has been blown dead. By that logic goals scored after the end of the period should count as well.

And do you really think that if the situations were reversed Canadian fans wouldn't be complaining about a goal that counted after the ref lost sight of it and blew the play dead all before the puck crossed the line? Multiple Canadian fans have complained in this thread about the reffing in a game 12 years ago the Canada WON.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I think you're missing a big point here. She obviously couldn't have seen the puck in the net before the whistle blew. In essence, you're saying that it's a good call because the official called a goal that wasn't. That isn't a correctly given goal. If a referee isn't sure, and this referee -couldn't- have been sure, given the circumstances, then you defer to video review and let them sort it out. In doing what she did, she didn't even allow video review to make a determination. She took the choice right out of their hands, on a play that she couldn't possibly have been sure about.

That's a bad call.

HABS win CUPS*

Why are all the American posters completely ignoring the fact that an own goal cost you the game not the ref not Canada.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Since it appears people didn't get the message, we are not talking about a game that took place 12 years ago. Period. This is the only warning. Stop trying to dig up old bodies.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I think you're missing a big point here. She obviously couldn't have seen the puck in the net before the whistle blew. In essence, you're saying that it's a good call because the official called a goal that wasn't. That isn't a correctly given goal. If a referee isn't sure, and this referee -couldn't- have been sure, given the circumstances, then you defer to video review and let them sort it out. In doing what she did, she didn't even allow video review to make a determination. She took the choice right out of their hands, on a play that she couldn't possibly have been sure about.

That's a bad call.

I think you're missing a big point: when whistles blow isn't reviewable under IIHF rules.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Why are all the American posters completely ignoring the fact that an own goal cost you the game not the ref not Canada.

Why did Canadian posters suddenly forget the rules? Ref lost sight of the puck and blew the play dead before it crossed the goal line. That was clearly the sequence of events. There would probably be a lot less back and forth if they would just accept it was a bad call and move on instead of all this ridiculous justification how somehow it should have counted given the circumstances.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think you're missing a big point: when whistles blow isn't reviewable under IIHF rules.

So, you're telling me they can't go to video review and determine if the puck crossed the line before the whistle? I doubt that very much. It may not be allowed when a goal is called -on the ice- to overrule it, but that isn't the same thing at all.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

And you're missing the point. The replay clearly showed that whistle blew before the puck was in. The ref blew it and decided the opposite happened and that mistake directly impacted the outcome of the game. And it was an incredibly bush league mistake to boot.

Ducksgo*

I think most posters are upset about that and everything in general. Everyone has something to complain about and rightfully so. In the order of what I'm most upset about?

1) Hand passes
2) To many men
3) The whistle goal for Canada
4) inconsistent calls

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Soooo much crying in this thread. Canadians won 3-2. The refs did not 'hand' us the game they won. The puck never stopped moving the right call was made.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
And you're missing the point. The replay clearly showed that whistle blew before the puck was in.

And? The replay meant nothing after she decided it was a goal on the ice. Those are the rules, and we know how well you know the rules so I'm not sure why you keep going on about this.

The ref blew it and decided the opposite happened and that mistake directly impacted the outcome of the game.

Where have I said otherwise?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
And? The replay meant nothing after she decided it was a goal on the ice. Those are the rules, and we know how well you know the rules so I'm not sure why you keep going on about this.

And that, right there, is the point. That was a terrible decision. She couldn't have seen the puck in the net before the whistle, so why is she calling it a goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad