GDT: Feb. 12 • Women's • Group A • Canada vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Frankly I view losing this game as an advantage when it comes to the inevitable gold medal rematch.

JetsFlyHigh

Aug 5, 2012
Why did Canadian posters suddenly forget the rules? Ref lost sight of the puck and blew the play dead before it crossed the goal line. That was clearly the sequence of events. There would probably be a lot less back and forth if they would just accept it was a bad call and move on instead of all this ridiculous justification how somehow it should have counted given the circumstances.

LOL

Pretty sure a lot of posters here, and in every hockey related forums I've been in agrees that these were bad calls. If you would just accept that this game is over, and you cannot arrest the referees in charge instead of all this ridiculous whining that *maybe* they should be put in trial for ruining the integrity of the game.

Yes it was a bad call, but it's no different when posters regularly whine about NHL's referees.

Nothing new here. MOVE ON.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
The controversy isn't the "karma" of the result, but a goal call that the official should never have made. A quick whistle is something that happens in every game. Is it fair? No, but it impacts every team about the same. A call like this? Shouldn't happen. A referee should never call a goal they don't see.

This is a replay of the "goal" Canada scored against USA in the 2013 World Juniors, in the game USA won 5-1. Their were a lot of contrived justifications for that call, too.

Bias and national pride do funny things to people's judgement, don't they?

-----------

Hope the reffing is better in the medal rounds. It's a shame when the refs aren't at the same level as the players when Canada and USA meet up.

Mant*

Then that would be a goal.. she blew the play dead because she lost sight of where the puck was. If the puck is in the net, it's in the net. Just because she couldn't see where it was from where she was on the ice, doesn't mean it's not a goal. If she blew the play dead and THEN the puck went in the net, that's different. I didn't see this but from the way you describe it, that is a goal.

The whistle was clearly blown before the puck crossed the goal line.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Brutal call but IMO it wasn't as bad as the refs completely missing the goal in the Japan - Russia game. (How can that even happen?) In this game, I was more upset with the refs not calling too many players on the ice and the hand passes.

I really like watching these games but the reffing has not been good and is a concern for me. I hope they learn from these problems and the reffing is better in future games.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It is relevant...because a whistle there would have unjustly taken a goal away from the Canadian team.

Absolutely in no way is the puck entering the net after a whistle ever, EVER considered a goal. There was no goal to take away.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think you're missing a big point here. She obviously couldn't have seen the puck in the net before the whistle blew. In essence, you're saying that it's a good call because the official called a goal that wasn't. That isn't a correctly given goal. If a referee isn't sure, and this referee -couldn't- have been sure, given the circumstances, then you defer to video review and let them sort it out. In doing what she did, she didn't even allow video review to make a determination. She took the choice right out of their hands, on a play that she couldn't possibly have been sure about.

That's a bad call.

You do realize that the ref did use video replay right? She went and checked to see if the goal should have counted.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And that, right there, is the point. That was a terrible decision. She couldn't have seen the puck in the net before the whistle, so why is she calling it a goal?

Because just as she blew the whistle every canadian player on the ice was jumping up and down cheering that they scored a goal.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You do realize that the ref did use video replay right? She went and checked to see if the goal should have counted.

After she called it a goal, there was nothing video replay could do to impact the decision. The on ice call stands. That doesn't make it the right call, dude. She called a goal she didn't see.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Because just as she blew the whistle every canadian player on the ice was jumping up and down cheering that they scored a goal.

Which is relevant how? The puck wasn't across the line when she blew the whistle. She never saw the puck cross the line before she blew her whistle. Ultimately, this all comes back to a referee calling a goal she didn't see, after she had already blown the play dead for losing sight of the puck.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
watching the game now, 4 minutes in and seems the Americans are taking the body, hmmmm, must be my rose coloured glasses:laugh:

as for the controversial goal, yep I agree, should not have counted.

as for bringing up past poor officiated games....reason- history of poor officiating, or refs being paid off, IDK. Maybe today we paid the refs more IDK:laugh:

All I know, might have been better to lose this game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Which is relevant how? The puck wasn't across the line when she blew the whistle. She never saw the puck cross the line before she blew her whistle. Ultimately, this all comes back to a referee calling a goal she didn't see, after she had already blown the play dead for losing sight of the puck.

I keep seeing people say this that she lost site of the puck and blew the whistle to stop play. Yes you are right she did lose sight of the puck and the next time she seen it again just after blowing the whistle was in the back of the net and all the canadian players cheering around her, what would you think in that situation as a ref? Knowing that the last time you seen the puck the goalie had it, then not even a second after you blew the whistle you see the puck in the net? You are honestly going to tell me you would call it a no goal? Because you lost site of the puck?

No matter what, happened on this play. It would of been a bad call. Either she called it a no goal (wrong call on all levels), or she called it a goal (wrong call by the sounds, but still the right call that mitigated the quick whistle)

It just happens that the bad call in this case was still the right call since she should have never even blew the whistle in the 1st place.

Sloth Slothersons*

2617023.jpg

Eh Oh Canada Go!

I've never seen so much whining about a preliminary game. :laugh:

Damn, this is an awesome picture. I didn't know this happened. Did the mens team smoke cigars and drink beer on the ice too?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
It's too bad it takes a bad call in the Olympics to get people interested in women's hockey conversations aside from the "should it stay or should it go" debates

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Damn, this is an awesome picture. I didn't know this happened. Did the mens team smoke cigars and drink beer on the ice too?

No, and if they did they kept it in the dressing rooms/after party. The canadian womans team were heavily criticized for that lil after party. Almost to the point where the ioc was thinking of reprimanding them (which only means 1 thing in olympic talk, stripping of medals for the players involved).

Sloth Slothersons*

No, and if they did they kept it in the dressing rooms/after party. The canadian womans team were heavily criticized for that lil after party. Almost to the point where the ioc was thinking of reprimanding them (which only means 1 thing in olympic talk, stripping of medals for the players involved).

That's a shame.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Yes you are right she did lose sight of the puck and the next time she seen it again just after blowing the whistle was in the back of the net and all the canadian players cheering around her, what would you think in that situation as a ref?

I would think, the play is dead that's not a goal. The play is dead when I say it is dead, because I'm the ref.

EDIT: I would also feel completely justified in my position because I would know that, not having seen the puck, I cannot rightly rule on the legality of the goal, i.e. I can't say if it was kicked in, thrown in, etc.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton

It was still awesome regardless :yo:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I would think, the play is dead that's not a goal. The play is dead when I say it is dead, because I'm the ref.

and if she said she blew the whistle after the puck went into the net then what? apparently replays can't be used to tell when the whistle was blown, so her call on the ice (good goal) has to stand. and there is nothing that can be done or said that can change the facts of that sequence of events (in her mind).

atleast this mistake fixed another mistake she made just a second before this mistake.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

No, they're too metrosexual for that...:naughty:

However the women did get in trouble for that, even though it was a cool bit of spontaneous celebration, on the same level as Jon Montgomery drinking a pitcher of beer while walking down the main street in Whistler after his gold medal win...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

EDIT: I would also feel completely justified in my position because I would know that, not having seen the puck, I cannot rightly rule on the legality of the goal, i.e. I can't say if it was kicked in, thrown in, etc.

that stuff can be reviewed, whistle's can't be. and she probably asked that when she went upstairs.

she probably asked is the puck in the net? yes, was it kicked in? no, was it thrown into the net? no. all those things lining up makes it a good goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest