GDT: Feb. 12 • Women's • Group A • Canada vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
It's not like it's any worse than the average NHL game

What average NHL game has at least two too many men on ice by at least 2 players each time? Canada had 8 players on the ice and was not called. Canada also had 7 players on the ice and was not called. That is not debatable, it happened.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
And when you watch the replay you see the whistle blow before the puck crossed the line. That means she lost sight of the puck before that and blew the whistle. If she then turns around and decides like you claim that she blew the whistle after the puck crossed the line, then she blew the call because that isn't what the replay clearly shows.

You are basically arguing that the ref made the wrong decision about when she blew the whistle as backed by the replay. So in essence you agree that the ref blew the call. Thanks for proving me right.

I said at the time that the whistle went before puck crossed line. To my knowledge, nobody ( Canuck or Yank ) was arguing otherwise. On the same play, ref made two bad calls, which fortuitously served to cancel one another out. So, in the end, a goal which ( in a perfect universe ) ought to have counted... DID!

jester24

Oct 27, 2011
Seems to me that for the first time in the history of the world, two wrongs did actually make a right!!! Cripes, if the ref didn't call it a goal, it would have been an even more egregious error since it's obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that it should have counted.

Great comeback by the Canadian girls! U.S. girls have to be wondering if they can actually get it done when it counts.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
Im confused if she saw the puck go into the net, then why did she blow the whistle?

This is the most damning evidence that she didn't know what she was doing.

Now eliminate the whistle and that is 100% a good goal the problem is the whistle. Canada should have got the goal and in the end they did but it is whistle and the ineptness of the ref that make it so frustrating.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Im confused if she saw the puck go into the net, then why did she blow the whistle?

She obviously didn't see it go into the net. She blew whistle because she lost sight of puck, probably at about the same moment she saw Canadians raise arms in celebration, since some woulda seen puck heading into an open net. Then she sees puck in net, and simply assumed it crossed line before whistle

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Seems to me that for the first time in the history of the world, two wrongs did actually make a right!!! Cripes, if the ref didn't call it a goal, it would have been an even more egregious error since it's obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that it should have counted.

Great comeback by the Canadian girls! U.S. girls have to be wondering if they can actually get it done when it counts.

You can argue that a whistle shouldn't have been blown at all, that's fine. But it was. Once the official lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle, all before the puck crossed the goal line, you can't call it a goal. Firstly, because that is the opposite of the rule. But furthermore, if you do, you open up a huge can of worms. You are allowing scoring plays to happen after play has stopped. How is that different from a player scoring 1 second after the final horn sounds yet the refs letting it count? Its not.

Look, we've all been there, our NHL team scores a clear goal, but the ref lost sight of it and blew it dead as it was happening. Sure it sucks, but we all accept it because we understand the rule and move on. That's why seeing all these posts with ridiculous theories and guesses to what the ref was thinking and how it legitimizes the goal call because it benefited your country is frustrating and ridiculous.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Coming back from 1-0 is considered a comeback now?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
This is not correct at all.

The whistle should be blown if the ref believes that the goalie is covering the puck.

Both are correct.

482 - PUCK OUT OF SIGHT

Should a scramble take place or a player accidentally fall on the puck and the puck is out of sight of the Referee, he shall immediately stop the play, and the puck shall be faced-off at the nearest face-off spot to where the play has been stopped, unless provided for in the rules.

In this case because of the timing of the whistle, either could have been the ruling by the ref, she either believed the puck covered or lost sight of it. Puck out of sight, as you can see, kills the play regardless of if the puck is still loose. This happens almost every NHL game by the way, so it's a little surprising to see the willful ignorance.

In the end, the ref made the call and clearly declared the play dead before the puck entered the net, then changed her mind when she saw the puck go into the net. That is 100% improper.

She obviously didn't see it go into the net. She blew whistle because she lost sight of puck

And that was the end of the play. It was not in the net when she lost sight of it, so no goal. She got influenced by the players celebrating and seeing the puck end up in the net, which is about the worst thing a ref could do. She has to stand by her call or it's total failure.

Last edited:

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I just saw the "controversial" goal.

I don't view it as controversial at all. The whistle shouldn't have blown in the first place. It would have been more controversial if it wasn't a goal.

Tough game for the Americans, but I have confidence they will get them back when it matters most.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I don't view it as controversial at all. The whistle shouldn't have blown in the first place. It would have been more controversial if it wasn't a goal.

Tough game for the Americans, but I have confidence they will get them back when it matters most.

Whether or not the whistle should have blown is irrelevant. It did blow.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Both are correct.

In this case because of the timing of the whistle, either could have been the ruling by the ref, she either believed the puck covered or lost sight of it. Puck out of sight, as you can see, kills the play regardless ( NONSENSE ) of if the puck is still loose. This happens almost every NHL game by the way, so it's a little surprising to see the willful ignorance.

In the end, the ref made the call and clearly declared the play dead before the puck entered the net, then changed her mind when she saw the puck go into the net. That is 100% improper.

And that was the end of the play. It was not in the net when she lost sight of it, so no goal. She got influenced by the players celebrating and seeing the puck end up in the net, which is about the worst thing a ref could do. She has to stand by her call or it's total failure.

P. Kane scored a SLC wining goal, a few years back, which went in the goal and back out again. And he seemed to be the only one on the ice that knew it. Obviously the refs lost sight of the puck, since the play carried on even after the goal, and that's happened tons of times.

This year Detroit scored a GWG after the puck went over the glass and back in off the netting. Clearly refs lost sight of it, temporarily, but play was NOT blown dead. Just because ref temporarily loses sight of puck doesn't automatically mean the play is dead.

The ref today ruled that she did NOT blow play dead until AFTER the puck crossed the line. So in her mind that was a good goal.

She didn't have benefit of video review, since it wasn't reviewable, so by the strict letter of the IIHF Rule Book: IT WAS A GOOD GOAL ENDOFSTOREY !!!

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Whether or not the whistle should have blown is irrelevant. It did blow.

The game meant nothing. The two teams will meet in the final and the U.S. will have the edge because of it.

I hate to say it but I can't see the U.S. losing twice.

HABS win CUPS*

That's what I'm saying the ref was out if position

The whistle should not have been blown period and canada didn't actually even score the damn goal I don't see how people can say we got that call when it was an own goal

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I love how the Americans are complaining about the blown call on the second game, yet conveniently forget the absolute disgrace of the Gold medal game in Salt lake City where the refs attempted to do their upmost to help USA win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkLR5g_-IMI

Be happy this happened in a round robin game, not in the final.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I missed the 3rd period. I will watch it tonight and I am looking forward to it. It sounds like it was crazy - both in a good and bad way.

As far as the goal...

Again, it means nothing. In a week, after the GMG, no one will remember it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The game meant nothing. The two teams will meet in the final and the U.S. will have the edge because of it.

I hate to say it but I can't see the U.S. losing twice.

I don't disagree. The game was fairly meaningless, except as a set up for the next time they play.

It just irks me a bit to see people trying to justify it. It was a bad call. Just because it was a quick whistle doesn't change that. Play is dead the instant the whistle blows. Quick whistles happen all the time, and you see them in every game. It's a bit more unusual to see a goal called good when the whistle blows before it crosses the line. The referee needs to make decisions based on what they actually see, not in response to the players. I think that call tainted a good game.

At any rate, if the US wants the gold, they'll shake it off and move on. I'm confident they will. On to the next game(for both teams).

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I love how the Americans are complaining about the blown call on the second game, yet conveniently forget the absolute disgrace of the Gold medal game in Salt lake City where the refs attempted to do their upmost to help USA win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkLR5g_-IMI

Be happy this happened in a round robin game, not in the final.

I'm pretty sure a game that was over a decade ago has little relevance today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad