Salary Cap: Faux News: Fehr and Balanced Off-Season Pens coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I mean, Jordan is the whole package. Not only do you get the increased points (~46p/s), but he's a big body who USES his body, can be downright devastating defensively and is good on the cycle/punishing teams in the offensive zone.

I understand that the Pens can't afford him in either money or assets, but if you could magically move the big 3 out (Kunitz, Scuderi, Dupuis) and simply add Staal, with no other losses/costs, yes, it's the best team in the east, even with the defense being a big question mark.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Billy might be right on the money in an earlier post about a potential Staal deal looking like what Kesler got. If they don't re-sign Eric, I imagine Jordan would think twice about being the best center on a ****** rebuilding team or the third best with the best forward group in the game. He has a NMC so he could force a move if he wanted.

We could theoretically have the pieces to make the deal work. Kesler returned Bonino+a D-man project in Sbisa+1st and swapped 3rds.

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
I mean, Jordan is the whole package. Not only do you get the increased points (~46p/s), but he's a big body who USES his body, can be downright devastating defensively and is good on the cycle/punishing teams in the offensive zone.

I understand that the Pens can't afford him in either money or assets, but if you could magically move the big 3 out (Kunitz, Scuderi, Dupuis) and simply add Staal, with no other losses/costs, yes, it's the best team in the east, even with the defense being a big question mark.

But there's the rub. D is a big question mark. If we can use some of those same assets to pry away a Hamhuis from Vancouver, for example, then the team overall would be more balanced.

I was / am a big Staal fan, but I just don't see him as a priority get at this point (versus a more reliable D corp).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
But there's the rub. D is a big question mark. If we can use some of those same assets to pry away a Hamhuis from Vancouver, for example, then the team overall would be more balanced.

I was / am a big Staal fan, but I just don't see him as a priority get at this point (versus a more reliable D corp).

Certainly not a priority, no. And like I said, the Pens don't have the money/assets to get him (reasonably) anyhow. But IF you could add him without gutting either of those things, I would. I'm a huge Staal fan.

I also wouldn't be opposed to adding a top-4, if you could make it happen.

Hamhuis is interesting, because he only has one year left. So it's just a stopgap to see if Maatta/Pouliot/Dumoulin are ready for the big time.

Could go with something like

Maatta - Letang
Hamuis - Pouliot
Dumo/Lovejoy - Cole

Maybe trade Clendening to the Canucks for Hamhuis :sarcasm:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
dude, that lineup is so good that Crosby and Malkin could die and it would still be the best lineup ever. Stop being a hater.

Morehouse can make a reality show about them fighting to the death. Genius.

Sure, and in this magical place you're thinking small.

Boedker - Crosby - Kessel
Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Staal - Fehr
Cullen - Bonino - Bennett

Maatta - Letang
Pouliot - Despres
Dumoulin - Cole

Fleury

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah... no. Not me.

One represents a real need and the other an expensive luxury.

Perron is gonna make people look dumb, this year. And it's been too long, I think, since we've all seen Staal first hand night after night. I think nostalgia is getting in the way a little bit.

Agreed. I really liked Staal and he's an elite 3C, but do we even need an elite 3C if it means having grinders next to Sid and Geno? That answer is obvious to me.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Agreed. I really liked Staal and he's an elite 3C, but do we even need an elite 3C if it means having grinders next to Sid and Geno? That answer is obvious to me.

You don't have to put grinders next to Sid and Geno. You just have to jettison Kunitz, Scuderi snd Dupuis and then pay Maatta in hookers and blow.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it's a fair question. Would you rather have Perron at close to 5 mil or Staal at 6. I'm all for putting the money in the top 6, but thats a tough one. Especially if Perron could be used as a chip for Staal.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Good news that we won't be signing Franson. He's not the "Hjalmarsson or Seabrook" we're looking for.

4-6Million of the Scuds, Kunitz(and maybe Dupuis) should be spent on the D/Maata's next contract. Staal makes zero sense right now unless we're the only team in on him and Carolina retains salary(won't happen).

Besides, i see Sundqvist as the second coming of Staal. He won't be as good but close to it imo.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think it's a fair question. Would you rather have Perron at close to 5 mil or Staal at 6. I'm all for putting the money in the top 6, but thats a tough one. Especially if Perron could be used as a chip for Staal.

Perron. Staal would be an upgrade on any of our four bottom six centers, but Perron is easily the bigger need. Our bottom-6 is strong right now, we don't need to weaken our top-6 to add to a relative strength.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

I'll take Staal, he's a guy you win cups with.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'll take Staal, he's a guy you win cups with.

Until he becomes so expensive you sacrifice depth in other areas. That's kinda what happened here.

I mean, if Bonino or Fehr could hack it as top 6 wingers OR we had oodles of young top 6 wing prospects, then sure go for it. But we don't so in that case, the FAR bigger need is top 6 scoring wingers.

Also, I love the "you win Cups with xxx" thing. Craig Adams, now THAT'S a guy you win Cups with.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Until he becomes so expensive you sacrifice depth in other areas. That's kinda what happened here.

I mean, if Bonino or Fehr could hack it as top 6 wingers OR we had oodles of young top 6 wing prospects, then sure go for it. But we don't so in that case, the FAR bigger need is top 6 scoring wingers.

Also, I love the "you win Cups with xxx" thing. Craig Adams, now THAT'S a guy you win Cups with.

Craig accomplished something Jordan couldn't... cups with both Pittsburgh and Carolina

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Yeah Reese's Cups. mmmmmmm :)

DawgPens

Jul 10, 2012
Athens, GA
Hamhuis is interesting, because he only has one year left. So it's just a stopgap to see if Maatta/Pouliot/Dumoulin are ready for the big time.

Could go with something like

Maatta - Letang
Hamuis - Pouliot
Dumo/Lovejoy - Cole

That's exactly why I would target Hamhuis in particular. Solid D, short term contract, good mentor for the younger players. Those are two excellent D pairings at the top of your list, and you have solid third pair possibilities as well.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

That's easy, Perron. 3c isn't a position you should be spending a lot of money on.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Can Hamhuis play the right side or would we have to move Pouliot to the right to accomodate that? I don't know if it would really hurt Pouliot to move him over. Might probably benefit him in the offensive zone even.

Edit: Maatta-Letang
Hamhuis-Pouliot
Dumoulin-Cole
would be MILES better than what we're projecting this year and probably better than what we iced last year with one move.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

But the question was Perron at 5 or Staal at 6, are those 1 million dollars really going to "sacrifice depth"? I also don't think that highly of Perron so to me he's expendable.

Every recent cup winner has a strong defensive center, so yes it is a guy you win cups with. The Craig Adams joke/comparison just seems like a lazy talking point.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
We should start a Perron vs Staal thread and only gordie and cassius can comment.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, Perron's money is being spent exactly where it should be.

It wouldn't be who would i rather have in Staal vs Perron.
It would be, is Perron a fit to be extended and if not trade for a Boedker and spend Perron's money on him. Doesn't have to be Boedker but any winger like him.

imo we're GOOD at 3C/center depth. Fehr 3yrs/2M, Bonino 2yrs/1.9M, Sundqvist 2yrs/700k.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Perron if he can be that 25 goal, 50 point winger that he's shown in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad