Salary Cap: Faux News: Fehr and Balanced Off-Season Pens coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Why would Carolina want Kunitz or Scuds though?

As a cup dump for us, yeah, they would accept them... but where is the piece they actually want?

They should consider it a privilege to get such esteemed players like Kunitz and Scuderi.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Why would Carolina want Kunitz or Scuds though?

As a cup dump for us, yeah, they would accept them... but where is the piece they actually want?

I think it would be more like Perron, Pouliot and Scuderi for Staal (%retained). And then we sign Franson.

I wouldn't trade Pouliot for Staal. Our defense would look way too ugly. We'd also lose the chance to extend Perron.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't trade Pouliot for Staal. Our defense would look way too ugly. We'd also lose the chance to extend Perron.

"3rd line right winger"... I don't think Perron is very highly thought of. I have little hopes that we actually resign him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Well, he's our best faceoff guy now. He'll chip in 10 if he holds up. I suppose he's our 2nd pairing PK center.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
People seem to forget Kunitz and Scuderi have movement clauses that prevent them from being moved to certain teams.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Would you actually trade for Staal at 6MM? I wouldn't touch that contract unless the cap goes up substantially.

I had no problem with Jordan's contract when it was signed, so I certainly have no problem with it now when the cap is $7 million higher.

Furthermore, the deal the NHL just signed with MLB is estimated to drive the cap up $2.5 million in 16-17 by itself, so it's guaranteed to rise a good bit pretty quickly.

Let me put this another way: would you rather have Staal at $6 million or Perron at $4.5-5 million in 2016? That's what Perron will want if he's not brutal this year. To me, Perron shouldn't even be a consideration in that either/or at those rates. Staal's the bigger, faster, more versatily, more productive player at a more important position, while he's also an awesome defensive player whereas Perron is absolute garbage on that side of the puck.

Staal's contract is not bad at all.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
http://thehockeypress.sportsblog.co...mor--jordan-staal-to-pittsburgh-penguins.html

Im gonna go out on a limb an guess that the hockey press isn't much of a credible site?

Even if we're going to give them some credit... what sort of trade makes sense for both sides and works cap wise for us? Do we really even have the assets we would need to acquire him?

One of Kunitz and Scuderi would be a given solely due to salary issues (we'll ignore their NTCs). If we couldn't move both of those guys (same trade or different trades), we'd likely have to trade one of Fehr or Bonino (we might regardless). Then on top of that, we'd have to actually give them a reason to make the trade. So now add one of BB, Sundqvist, Sproul, Dumoulin and a 1st.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXXXX - Malkin - Kessel
Bonino - Staal - Dupuis
Plotnikov - Fehr - XXXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Maatta - Letang
Pouliot - Cole
Dumoulin - Lovejoy
Erixon

Figure 2.5m for the XXXXX, and that's 70.35m. But with no major salary leaving in the off season, finding the 5-6m or so that it would take to re-sign Perron and Maatta would be very hard. Don't get me wrong... I'm not opposed to spending money on a #3C IF they're going to be a great #3C. But that would mean JR would have to A) set our future/prospect depth back even further and B) ensure that he (or another GM) doesn't **** up our contract situation at all. And C) it would mean always playing a lot of youth or lower level players in depth situations.

Sooo... not the end of the world... but personally I'm not in a rush to trade for Staal. I would have looked into signing Soderberg at 4.75m, but I'm not really interested in giving up the assets that it would take to re-acquire J.Staal. As things stand our center depth on paper appears to be fine. Between Fehr, Bonino and Sundqvist, we should easily have 2 quality centers there for the foreseable future.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I had no problem with Jordan's contract when it was signed, so I certainly have no problem with it now when the cap is $7 million higher.

Furthermore, the deal the NHL just signed with MLB is estimated to drive the cap up $2.5 million in 16-17 by itself, so it's guaranteed to rise a good bit pretty quickly.

Let me put this another way: would you rather have Staal at $6 million or Perron at $4.5-5 million in 2016? That's what Perron will want if he's not brutal this year. To me, Perron shouldn't even be a consideration in that either/or at those rates. Staal's the bigger, faster, more versatily, more productive player at a more important position, while he's also an awesome defensive player whereas Perron is absolute garbage on that side of the puck.

Staal's contract is not bad at all.

Im firmly on the side that says spend the money on the top 6. Weve seen you can find cheap players to fill out your lineup.

But theres no doubt Staal's a better player.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Would you actually trade for Staal at 6MM? I wouldn't touch that contract unless the cap goes up substantially.

Staal at 6m in and of itself isn't the end of the world. If we were not spending 10.925m on Dupuis, Kunitz and Scuderi, then it would be a snap to add him a 6m contract to the roster. Without those 3, we could even re-sign Perron and Maatta. Plots too assuming he doesn't light it up this year.

The issue is that while we could probably have 3 quality top 6 guys and a meh 3rd wheel for Kessel's line, we would have issues with our blueline and 3rd line. And our 4th line would have to entirely consist of cheap (and thus young) players.

In a vacuum, I'm not opposed to a great defensive C who's a possession monster at 6m for our #3C. However I do not think it's entirely realistic to expect that everything else goes perfect to ensure that we could make it work cap wise. Because if it didn't, we'd be back the type of depth we had in 09-11 - a few quality players then a bunch of meh. I'm more than willing to take the chance on Bonino and Fehr as prominent pieces to our 3rd line while waiting to dump Scuderi and move on from Kunitz and Dupuis (both of whom I think will be productive next season).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
1 Year 800k

Another solid signing. I like it. Cheap, but provides solid depth. Guy had 25 points in 62 games last year with 13 mins TOI. And was 54% on the dot.

Gives us: Fehr (when he's back), Bonino, Bennett, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Cullen as 5 of our bottom 6. One of those guys or perhaps Plotnikov will be fighting for the final top 6 spot, with Sundqvist, Rust, Wilson, etc all battling it out for a bottom 6 spot.

Fehr is out till at least late Oct, and realistically early/mid Dec. That alone gives us 10-25 games for competition in the bottom six. Sure things are a little crowded, but not so much that at least 1 young player will not be playing (in addition to BB). Realistically our 13-14th guys will be someone like Wilson/Rust/Farnham/Sundqvist/Plotnikov.

Part of me is a little disappointed that we do not have more room for a young guy, but with Fehr being out for a while, Kunitz being questionable to be back to where he realistically needs to be to justify his 3.8m cap hit and Dupuis being questionable... I understand and agree with this signing.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
JR is building this roster as if Beau Bennett doesn't exist. Hoping he can use him in a package with either Kunitz or Lovejoy to upgrade at LW or 2nd pair RHD.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
JR is building this roster as if Beau Bennett doesn't exist. Hoping he can use him in a package with either Kunitz or Lovejoy to upgrade at LW or 2nd pair RHD.

Not really.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Kessel
Dupuis - Bonino - Fehr/Bennett
Plotnikov - Cullen - Fehr/Bennett
XXXXX - XXXXX

It's not really a surprise JR wanted to get a little more F depth... Like with the blueline, we have some real question marks up front. I mean who knows what version of Kunitz we'll get. Or how healthy Dupuis will be. Or if Plotnikov (or any other WBS guys) are able to make the jump to the NHL. Or what level Bennett will be at. Or when exactly Fehr will return to from injury.

Lots of questions there, and signing Cullen to be our #4C just gives us a lot more options. Not to mention another solid PKer.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Im just saying there is probably one more big move before the season starts, and its going to be boom or bust, I just know it.. it will either be Despres Part 2 and destroy everything good we have done or lock up the GM of the year award.... no in between....Hell, if it is another great addition at low cost I am forigiving him for DESPRES

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Im just saying there is probably one more big move before the season starts, and its going to be boom or bust, I just know it.. it will either be Despres Part 2 and destroy everything good we have done or lock up the GM of the year award.... no in between....Hell, if it is another great addition at low cost I am forigiving him for DESPRES

If that old man gets us Boedker for a reasonable Kunitz package I'll pretend to be over the Despres trade... if he gets Despres back for a reasonable price I'll be over it, kind of. Or if he manages to make Scuderi disappear... give him to Scientology?

There's a few ways to make me happy here.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I would take Jordan back in a heartbeat, cap hit and all.

One thing is for sure, if we added Staal, we would have really bulked up the lineup this offseason. Imagine having added Staal, Fehr, Sundqvist, Plotnikov, Kessel and Bonino in one offseason.

6'4" 220
6'4" 212
6'3" 209
6'2" 205
6'0" 202
6'1" 196

We would really be a difficult team to beat up physically.

I'm not sure what Carolina would want for him, I kind of think Sundqvist would be going the other way. Maybe something like Staal for Sprong, Bennett, Dumoulin, both 2nds and :DScuderi??? We would also need to move Kunitz, probably for D help.

Tweaked roster that looks like:

Dupuis-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Staal-Fehr
Cullen-Bonino-Sundqvist

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
One thing is for sure, if we added Staal, we would have really bulked up the lineup this offseason. Imagine having added Staal, Fehr, Sundqvist, Plotnikov, Kessel and Bonino in one offseason.

6'4" 220
6'4" 212
6'3" 209
6'2" 205
6'0" 202
6'1" 196

We would really be a difficult team to beat up physically.

I'm not sure what Carolina would want for him, I kind of think Sundqvist would be going the other way. Maybe something like Staal for Sprong, Bennett, Dumoulin, both 2nds and :DScuderi??? We would also need to move Kunitz, probably for D help.

That's too much going towards the Hurricanes way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad