Far Cry 5 confirmed. New location is...

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nothing will top FC3. Nothing.

Story made that game so damned good. Vaas was awesome. The two endings were great. Whichever you chose, even with the plot twist.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Nothing will top FC3. Nothing.

Story made that game so damned good. Vaas was awesome. The two endings were great. Whichever you chose, even with the plot twist.

There wasn't two endings I don't think unless you're referring to killing your girlfriend, which is not really an ending since you die and have to start over

And while vass was interesting the boss fight was just awful.

If you want a good far cry boss fight look at far cry instincts which is a semi remake of the first far cry. It had a great final boss fight.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Strange thread bump but I can't find any other FarCry threads.

I've been playing a ton of FarCry Primal the past week or so and am liking it. The crafting thing isn't as tedious as I thought it'd be and even though it's still cut from the same sheet as FC 3&4, Primal has enough of its own signature to make it unique and fun.

I went on a murderous rampage while riding a mammoth and threw a spear into some guy's head so hard that he went flying back 10 feet :laugh:

The owl thing is cool, the beast master thing is cool, the landscape is of course gorgeous.

I doubt it, but I hope FC5 finds a new way to familiarize yourself with the land other than outposts and radio towers/bonfires. I think it would go a long way. The games are fun so I don't mind the repetitive stuff as much but the last three games are all very similar.

Also, FarCry 4 is a better game than 3 in the same way Halo 3 is better than Halo 2. Halo 2 was so groundbreaking and awesome, but Halo 3 was a polished version of everything we loved. Same with FarCry

Reactions: Lancer and Sined

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Right on Impala. I loved Primal, seems a lot of people didn't haha. It was very unique though I agree and I think that's why I liked it so much. Seems a lot of people want guns instead I guess. I liked how they tried something different.

Completely disagree that FC4 was better than FC3 though lol. The characters /setting are the big reason for me. I will say FC4 was a bit more polished and the gameplay was slightly better but the setting and characters just didn't hold up to FC3. But that's just my opinion :)

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Strange thread bump but I can't find any other FarCry threads.

I've been playing a ton of FarCry Primal the past week or so and am liking it. The crafting thing isn't as tedious as I thought it'd be and even though it's still cut from the same sheet as FC 3&4, Primal has enough of its own signature to make it unique and fun.

I went on a murderous rampage while riding a mammoth and threw a spear into some guy's head so hard that he went flying back 10 feet :laugh:

The owl thing is cool, the beast master thing is cool, the landscape is of course gorgeous.

Glad you liked Primal! I especially appreciate the best master and owl stuff. I worked on a lot of the UI stuff for that.

I doubt it, but I hope FC5 finds a new way to familiarize yourself with the land other than outposts and radio towers/bonfires. I think it would go a long way. The games are fun so I don't mind the repetitive stuff as much but the last three games are all very similar.

It was officially announced that there are no towers in FC5. :)

Also, FarCry 4 is a better game than 3 in the same way Halo 3 is better than Halo 2. Halo 2 was so groundbreaking and awesome, but Halo 3 was a polished version of everything we loved. Same with FarCry

I slightly agree with Blueton that characters were more memorable in FC3, but I do think that FC4's characters aren't far off. Like Mumu Chiffon, he's so awesome. Hurk is good if you like that kind of dumb hillbilly humor. And I think Pagan is good just maybe not Vaas haunting.

But I do feel that FC4 was tighter, but then again I might be biased :P

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I am still super interested in FC5. If anything, I did like FC4 and I skipped the last one. Hell, it's more exciting than ANYTHING EA has to offer.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
My only hope is that they don't get super political with it. I get the back country militia type feel it seems to have but it always takes me out of a game when it seems they are trying too hard to relate it to the real world and current political climate.

They usually are very good keeping the FarCry games on an original story line and it would be cool to get that here too.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Considering how it is now and considering just the trailers, it probably is going to get at least religiously heavy handed, and probably in turn, would get political. Any why not relate it to what's going on right now? Everything is a product of their time, and the themes are one of those things.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Considering how it is now and considering just the trailers, it probably is going to get at least religiously heavy handed, and probably in turn, would get political. Any why not relate it to what's going on right now? Everything is a product of their time, and the themes are one of those things.
I am not saying it can't happen or anything, I am just saying I have appreciated how they have had good original stories. There are ways to do that and not get super political where it doesn't belong or obviously make a point where it wasn't needed. I am just saying there is a balance and I have faith (no pun intended) that they can get that balance right.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well if it's about a religious cult and a self-arming militia then I think that's pretty relevant to what's going on and it'll probably will be hitting a little close to home for us in the US. Personally I hope they show no mercy and give gamers an insight into how ridiculous those two things are and how dangerous of an effect they have on society

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Well if it's about a religious cult and a self-arming militia then I think that's pretty relevant to what's going on and it'll probably will be hitting a little close to home for us in the US. Personally I hope they show no mercy and give gamers an insight into how ridiculous those two things are and how dangerous of an effect they have on society

Exactly how I feel. Go balls out or don't do it at all.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Ahh yes, the massive amount of religious cults and militia in the USA today. :laugh:

At least that's what TV want's you to believe.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I don't think that game designers of a violent shooter have any possible "insight" that they can give that wouldn't seem equally as ridiculous, due to hypocrisy. Besides, game designers are committed to entertainment and are generally terrible when they try to be taken seriously. They lean on shallow stereotypes and tropes that people would recognize as being lifted from movies and TV, and it's even worse when they approach politics and real world issues. They're not the ones who should be commenting on or giving exposes on hot issues , especially when they could be lumped in as part of the problem.

There's no shortage of religious nutjobs and people purchasing automatic weapons and assault rifles in the USA

...and no shortage of people purchasing first person shooters in which they can act out their lurid fantasies, desensitize themselves to violence and practice their aim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm intrigued by this one.

I loved both Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4, but they kind of used their exotic locales as part of the excuse to be off-beat and absurd.

The first looks at this game as far as teasers and trailers had really dark tones, like they were really going for something gritty and close to home...

...and then every trailer since has been 'duuuuuuuude wacky co-op hijinx brah!!!!'

I love the setting, just purely from a visual perspective. And few concepts excite me like shooting right-wing religious nutjobs in the face... but I'm not sure Ubisoft is going to be able to the thread the needle as far as tone the way they think they can.

We shall see.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm intrigued by this one.

I loved both Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4, but they kind of used their exotic locales as part of the excuse to be off-beat and absurd.

The first looks at this game as far as teasers and trailers had really dark tones, like they were really going for something gritty and close to home...

...and then every trailer since has been 'duuuuuuuude wacky co-op hijinx brah!!!!'

I love the setting, just purely from a visual perspective. And few concepts excite me like shooting right-wing religious nutjobs in the face... but I'm not sure Ubisoft is going to be able to the thread the needle as far as tone the way they think they can.

We shall see.
Completely agree. I hate to use that made up word "ludonarrative dissonance" but any chance this game had to make some kind of intelligent statement is ruined by the other ridiculously us gameplay aspects. Its could still tell an interesting story but I doubt it will be some kind of great commentary.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
FarCry 3&4 weren't some "great commentary", they were just cool and dangerous stories with a narrative that justified running around with guns and killing baddies while fighting for your survival. Why expect FC5 to be anything different except this time it's religious crazies who own a lot of guns?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The trailer seemed interesting and timely. I like 3 and 4 but they're essentially the same game with the same flaws. A protagonist with seemingly no training becoming a superhuman killer, that aspect just never stopped feeling ridiculous at any point.

Far cry 1 and the Xbox remakes were different from 2 which was different from 3. I don't buy that it should be the same or I should expect the same. In fact I don't buy those sorts of games. I played 4 at my cousin's house and realized it was basically just far cry 3 with better graphics and never bought it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The trailer seemed interesting and timely. I like 3 and 4 but they're essentially the same game with the same flaws. A protagonist with seemingly no training becoming a superhuman killer, that aspect just never stopped feeling ridiculous at any point.

Far cry 1 and the Xbox remakes were different from 2 which was different from 3. I don't buy that it should be the same or I should expect the same. In fact I don't buy those sorts of games. I played 4 at my cousin's house and realized it was basically just far cry 3 with better graphics and never bought it.
I think Ubisoft is good at updating their games to be more in line with what is expected at the time. I look at the Assassins Creed series and that game has come a LOOOOOOONG way. You used to have to hold a button while running to plow through people otherwise you could quite literally get stuck in a crowd. Now its basically Horizon: Zero Dawn but in ancient Egypt. They definitely took a lot of notes from that game.

Anyways, you can say the same about the Rainbow Six series too which has evolved quite well (as far as gameplay).

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
FarCry 3&4 weren't some "great commentary", they were just cool and dangerous stories with a narrative that justified running around with guns and killing baddies while fighting for your survival. Why expect FC5 to be anything different except this time it's religious crazies who own a lot of guns?

Because

1) That formula, between 2 full games, the F3 Blood Dragon expansion and Primal is getting pretty tired.

2) Because the original marketing content very specifically presented the game in darker, grittier, timelier tones than the previous games. And then it pulled a 180 back to status quo.

I'm sure it will still be a fun game. Just far less interesting and exciting than it potentially could have been.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think Ubisoft is good at updating their games to be more in line with what is expected at the time. I look at the Assassins Creed series and that game has come a LOOOOOOONG way. You used to have to hold a button while running to plow through people otherwise you could quite literally get stuck in a crowd. Now its basically Horizon: Zero Dawn but in ancient Egypt. They definitely took a lot of notes from that game.

Anyways, you can say the same about the Rainbow Six series too which has evolved quite well (as far as gameplay).

It's more Witcher 3 influenced than Horizon: Zero Dawn influenced. It was pretty widely reported during the year off that Ubsioft was looking at Witcher 3 as a touch-point to evolve their mechanics and mission design.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't think that game designers of a violent shooter have any possible "insight" that they can give that wouldn't seem equally as ridiculous, due to hypocrisy. Besides, game designers are committed to entertainment and are generally terrible when they try to be taken seriously. They lean on shallow stereotypes and tropes that people would recognize as being lifted from movies and TV, and it's even worse when they approach politics and real world issues. They're not the ones who should be commenting on or giving exposes on hot issues , especially when they could be lumped in as part of the problem.

...and no shortage of people purchasing first person shooters in which they can act out their lurid fantasies, desensitize themselves to violence and practice their aim.

Video games "desensitizing" people to violence is an absurd assertion that has no basis in reality. The difference between seeing a computer generated, fake person being killed and seeing an actual human being killed is astronomical.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
especially when they could be lumped in as part of the problem

What is this, 1992? Can't believe someone is actually arguing a link between video game violence and real world violence. What an absurd thing to say, especially considering the studies proving how wrong that claim has always been

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad