Far Cry 5 confirmed. New location is...

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If you play 4 before 3 you'll think 4>3 and vice versa.
At least that's the gist of what I got from the Internet.
I dont think so. As someone who played 3 first, 3 and 4 are basically the same game. 4 is just slightly better in every way (though arguably quite a bit better graphically).

However, if you've played 3, theres really no point in playing 4, and vice versa. They're extremely similar.

Oh but 4 is extremely buggy on PC for some reason so theres that.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Apparently you and reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6d32o1/first_look_of_far_cry_5s_main_antagonist/

40k upvotes (81%)

I played 4 when it came out. Then I played Primal. Just going through 3 right now and 100% agree that 4>3.

I also didn't mind Primal. It was different, but I'm digging the revival of the bow and arrow in video games right now. (Far Cry, Tomb Raider)

I was really hoping Primal would be their Jurassic Park iteration. Before it came out they had a pole asking for what style people wanted and a dinosaur one was on the list. A Jurassic Park license along with Far Cry's game direction would rake in mad money.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm actually replaying Far Cry 3 via Xbox One backwards compatibility and damn it still holds up.

I see what you mean, though I wouldn't have phased it that way.

I think people were expecting a leap on par with the leap from 2 to 3, which is crazy. Its hard to think of many leaps made in a franchise that big, within the same generation of hardware.

I think Far Cry 4 was a better made game, and frankly a better story than Far Cry 3. But it felt like more, prettier Far Cry 3, rather than a whole new 'wow' experience.

That wasn't it for me at all. I think Vaas was so amazing and got so much credit for 3 being so great that they tried too hard to make another crazy psycho mentally taxing villain again with Pagan Min. The setting (to me) just wasn't as exciting as 3. Jet-ski's tropcical place, hallucinogenic crazy dreams... etc. It just all made sense. Farcry was never about story and I think they just tried way too hard with 4 to replicate 3 but put it in the Asian mountains and it just didn't work... for me.

It's kind of how I feel about Mass Effect. The first one was my favorite and people think I am nuts. But the story, the setting, the music, pretty much everything but the actual game mechanics were better in my opinion. I also never understood how from ME1 to ME2 they could go from guns that don't need to reload to guns that do. Seems like technology went backwards there. Just little things like that.

Getting too far off topic. It seems Primal wasn't popular either. I had a lot of fun with it. I think a game with this kind of mechanic and gameplay people want more of a shooter and Primal for obvious reasons tried to go more Elder Scrolls without the depth of a high-end Western RPG. It was somewhere between that left people confused. But I loved it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I played 4 when it came out. Then I played Primal. Just going through 3 right now and 100% agree that 4>3.

I also didn't mind Primal. It was different, but I'm digging the revival of the bow and arrow in video games right now. (Far Cry, Tomb Raider)

I was really hoping Primal would be their Jurassic Park iteration. Before it came out they had a pole asking for what style people wanted and a dinosaur one was on the list. A Jurassic Park license along with Far Cry's game direction would rake in mad money.

Yeah pretty much. I mean you could toss some dino's in there and I have no doubt if they were able to and re-labled it as Turok and promoted it as a reboot everyone would have loved Primal.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I'm not surprised.

It's an intriguing theme, and one totally different from the previous "main" titles in the Far Cry series that were quite similar.

Primal was a super interesting concept, but I never got around to trying it out. Still have to play Blood Dragon as well.

I think this observation is generally correct, and I think it has a lot to do with fatigue. Both are very similar and both have a lot of hours you can put into them (which is both good and bad I suppose - depending on perspective). By the end of playing your first one, you'll likely want a change of scenery...at least, that was my experience.

IMO, 4 is definitely more polished. That, and I really respect the "alternate ending" at the beginning. :laugh:

Side note, but are you working on this project Sined?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks for posting the video's. Looks great! Can't wait.

Oh yeah and Blood Dragon... That one was amazing too. Of course I grew up watching lots of "Tech Noir" movies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Looks pretty good. Haven't been interested in a FC game since 3. I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on this one.

Agreed.

I absolutely loved 3, and I still haven't played 4 yet. I think I'm going to have to get around to playing it, it looks like a good game, I'm just not sold on the setting.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Looks pretty good I'm hoping it'll be controversial, but I don't think it will. Will still get it sometime but I'm not expecting a big hit.

Being able to choose Race and gender is cool though, maybe I'll make a black female because I'll know the sjws will be crying over this game (they already are), and gunning down radicals will be fun.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
so glad they confirmed full campaign coop. me and my friend just finished dying light and have been looking for another coop game.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I hope that the religious angle is more of a means to an end for the antagonists--a facade for the militia to pacify the locals and an excuse to eliminate resisters--with the real end being a more secular one (anti-governmentalism, power/control and such). If not, then the preaching and things like "souls do not harvest themselves" (which I admit to having chuckled at in the trailer) is liable to grow tiresome and corny after a while. I hope that it's more of a pretense in the first half of the game and that the second half is more sinister and capable of being taken seriously.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Why would it not be able to be taken seriously if there's a religious angle throughout?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sorry, I'm really excited for the game but these monologue trailers were like going to see a $15 play at the local theater. The Pastor one was pretty funny though with the whole "we didn't listen!" bit. Reminded me of...

The cast of characters aspect looks really cool though.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
More excited for this than any other FarCry game. Loved a lot of things things about FC4, but really hated the hallucination parts. Didn't even bother with Primal because it looked lame as hell. Just give me another big open world game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hehe, the "controversy" around this game makes me laugh. Not as bad as Andromeda but still funny.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have yet to play a Far Cry game.

As for any "controversy", my first impression was they are clearly going for a Waco or Jonestown kinda thing. I thought it was kind of obvious.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
is it going to be called Montana in game? so far its all been fictional locales (ie: Kyrat) its a weird departure to make a real state for #5 isn't it?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
is it going to be called Montana in game? so far its all been fictional locales (ie: Kyrat) its a weird departure to make a real state for #5 isn't it?

Yup. They are already advertising it as Montana. Hope County to be exact, which I don't believe is a real county. Quick internet search seems to confirms that part.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I played 3 first and thought 4 was superior, personally. I've liked all the modern FC games. Didn't really dig Primal as much as the others, but thought it was good for what it was.

Definitely interested in this new theme, though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think what they're doing with the location is much different than they've done before, it's just more zeroed in on a location than before. You had a fake country in the Himalayas in 4, a fake island chain in the Asian-Pacific in 3 and 1, and, maybe the most specific it's been in the past, a fake war-torn state in Central Africa in 2. 5 takes place in a fake county in a state in the US. Still stays true to the fake playable location based in a real more "general" location.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad