SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
rumours is a crazy Christian cult are the villains but we'll see

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Primal was terrible but I enjoyed 4. Montana is one of the most picturesque states imo, so it could be a very nice looking game at least.....

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I liked 3,4 and Primal nicely enough, for the series is too formulaic now. they need to mix it up

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Cant wait, always a fun game despite any short comings. Gotta echo 3 > 4, except for crocs

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Montana is actually a really good setting for a Far Cry game.

I visited there a few years ago and had no idea how vast, open and generally untouched so much of the landscape was.

And varied too. Mountains, canyons, sprawling fields, raging rivers... there's a ton to play with there.

Looking forward to it.

Oh, and Far Cry 4 > Far Cry 3 > being stabbed in the face > Primal

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My favorite novel in the Jack Reacher series, Die Trying, takes place in Montana, with the bad guys being heavily armed recluses. This game could be sort of like playing that novel, which excites me. It's such a great setting that it's thrilling simply to read about it, to say nothing of watching or playing it.

I liked 3,4 and Primal nicely enough, for the series is too formulaic now. they need to mix it up

I think that setting the game in Montana, especially with religious doomsdayers as the enemies, is taking a pretty big risk in the interest of mixing things up. I know that you're referring to gameplay more than setting, but I would think that such a setting would necessitate a unique feel to the game. Perhaps FC5 will bring back some of the feel that made FC2 unique, since the latter's Africa setting was wide open.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Ah, my beloved Montana. I'm in.

Perfect setting for that theme. Some of the most beautiful parts of Montana are the creepiest. See: Lincoln, MT.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Interesting

The last "Far Cry" game I played was 3 which I loved.

Far Cry 2 was absolute **** and I had the original on PC but don't remember it much now.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Montana should be a great choice. Such a varied terrain, and it will be a different feel from the other games for sure.

Looks like they're introducing some horror elements which will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'm sure they'll have an interesting main villain again, especially with a religious cult at the helm.

3 and 4 were great, it's just that 4 wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. 3 was such a huge jump up that it increased expectations for the next game by so much more.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm actually replaying Far Cry 3 via Xbox One backwards compatibility and damn it still holds up.

Yeah, Montana should be a great choice. Such a varied terrain, and it will be a different feel from the other games for sure.

Looks like they're introducing some horror elements which will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'm sure they'll have an interesting main villain again, especially with a religious cult at the helm.

3 and 4 were great, it's just that 4 wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. 3 was such a huge jump up that it increased expectations for the next game by so much more.

I see what you mean, though I wouldn't have phased it that way.

I think people were expecting a leap on par with the leap from 2 to 3, which is crazy. Its hard to think of many leaps made in a franchise that big, within the same generation of hardware.

I think Far Cry 4 was a better made game, and frankly a better story than Far Cry 3. But it felt like more, prettier Far Cry 3, rather than a whole new 'wow' experience.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I see what you mean, though I wouldn't have phased it that way.

I think people were expecting a leap on par with the leap from 2 to 3, which is crazy. Its hard to think of many leaps made in a franchise that big, within the same generation of hardware.

I think Far Cry 4 was a better made game, and frankly a better story than Far Cry 3. But it felt like more, prettier Far Cry 3, rather than a whole new 'wow' experience.

I dunno, I actually think Far Cry 3 may have been a straight up better game than 4. By a minuscule amount mind you, but it still was IMO. Far Cry 4 was actually released on the next gen consoles, so considering that, I was expecting more from it. The map in 4 relative to 3 struck me as odd. Bigger is not always better of course, but it seemed odd to me to not make the area larger. Pretty much every other open world series does that.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm replaying FC 3 right now and it's still just as fun and beautiful as the last time. 4 was a really good game but it did feel a lot like 3, just in the mountains. Haven't played Primal yet but going on Mammoth hunts sounds ****in awesome

I'm sure 5 will be more of the same but as long as the story is well written then I'll still enjoy it

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I recently re-played Far Cry 2 and found it just as fun as ever, even though it's 9 years old. I've never gotten the hate for it. It's an excellent open world game, more open world than FC1 was, in fact. It has some annoying issues (like NPCs talking too quickly and enemies respawning the next day), but they're not game breaking.

I'm actually embarrassed to admit that I still haven't played FC3 or 4. I put them off because I didn't have a rig that could do them justice until recently. This FC5 teaser is a good reminder that I need to start on FC3.

Rumour was you play as a cop, can see it having some religious cult/true detective type stuff

That would certainly make it easier to have you killing American citizens left and right without the police eventually showing up to arrest you.

Last edited:

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Never played a FC game but this religious theme has me all in.

Apparently you and reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6d32o1/first_look_of_far_cry_5s_main_antagonist/

40k upvotes (81%)

I'm actually embarrassed to admit that I still haven't played FC3 or 4. I put them off because I didn't have a rig that could do them justice until recently. This FC5 teaser is a good reminder that I need to start on FC3.

If you play 4 before 3 you'll think 4>3 and vice versa.
At least that's the gist of what I got from the Internet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad