Fantasy Hockey pool guides 2015-16

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
My personal fav is Fantasy Hockey Standard. I think it's the cream of the crop. Unfortunately I'm not sure what has happened to their website. They may not be putting anything out this year by the looks of it. Last year at this time, their guide was already available for purchase.

UPP (Ultimate Pool Preview) is also a must buy. Their guide is top notch

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
Is UPP the site that ranks guides? If so, what pool guides do they not include?

I think I bought it a couple years ago and it did not include Dobber.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Forecaster was the worst guide 2 years in a row in a list I made of 120-150 players projections. (Projection vs Real stat)

Suprisingly, TSN and ESPN were the best for 2014-2015 and they were free.

What was your method of evaluation?

A few years ago, I did a similar evaluation, breaking them up into groups - IE, bang on, 1-5 points over, 1-5 under, 6-10 over, 6-10 under, etc. I don't remember the exact results, but the scary thing is that all magazines massively over-predict, it was something like 90%+ of players scored fewer points than predicted.

Evaluating the different mags against each other was hard, because mag A might be: 1-5 pts: 5% and 25+: 9% while magazine B was 1-5 pts: 7% and 25+: 6%. So, A had a few closer to reality, but they also had more busts who were way off the prediction. Draft a guy who's 25+ points from predicted and you're screwed. Is A really better than B here? I have a higher chance of getting that bust.

Similarly, evaluating under vs over-predicting can be hard. Is under-predicting by 10 points better or worse than over-predicting by 7? I'd much prefer getting guys who were under-predicted, if I drafted a guy expecting 40 points and he got 50, then my toes are tapping. If he was predicted for 60 and got me that same 50, then that sucks, because I drafted him some number of rounds sooner than he should have been.

The other thing I notice is that they predict a ridiculous number of people to go 21-21, 28-28, with goals exactly matching assists. It's often multiple players in a row, Smith 20-20, Smythe 24-24... They'll predict something like 30 guys to do this, when reality has only 3 or 4 players do it in a season.

That just screams 'guy in a room pulling numbers out of his ass' to me. The number foremost on your mind is the number you just typed for Goals, so you type the same for Assists. There's also lots of 5s and 10s, IE 20-40, 15-30, 25-30 which again seems hand generated because humans think in nice round numbers. I would hope they're using mechanical processes but tweaked by hand, which would eliminate this.

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
What was your method of evaluation?

A few years ago, I did a similar evaluation, breaking them up into groups - IE, bang on, 1-5 points over, 1-5 under, 6-10 over, 6-10 under, etc. I don't remember the exact results, but the scary thing is that all magazines massively over-predict, it was something like 90%+ of players scored fewer points than predicted.

Evaluating the different mags against each other was hard, because mag A might be: 1-5 pts: 5% and 25+: 9% while magazine B was 1-5 pts: 7% and 25+: 6%. So, A had a few closer to reality, but they also had more busts who were way off the prediction. Draft a guy who's 25+ points from predicted and you're screwed. Is A really better than B here? I have a higher chance of getting that bust.

Similarly, evaluating under vs over-predicting can be hard. Is under-predicting by 10 points better or worse than over-predicting by 7? I'd much prefer getting guys who were under-predicted, if I drafted a guy expecting 40 points and he got 50, then my toes are tapping. If he was predicted for 60 and got me that same 50, then that sucks, because I drafted him some number of rounds sooner than he should have been.

The other thing I notice is that they predict a ridiculous number of people to go 21-21, 28-28, with goals exactly matching assists. It's often multiple players in a row, Smith 20-20, Smythe 24-24... They'll predict something like 30 guys to do this, when reality has only 3 or 4 players do it in a season.

That just screams 'guy in a room pulling numbers out of his ass' to me. The number foremost on your mind is the number you just typed for Goals, so you type the same for Assists. There's also lots of 5s and 10s, IE 20-40, 15-30, 25-30 which again seems hand generated because humans think in nice round numbers. I would hope they're using mechanical processes but tweaked by hand, which would eliminate this.

I didn't push it that far.

More like Real stat - projected stat in absolute value.

Sum all the results for all players minus the important injuries.

It's not some huge mathematical methods.

And some guides are good with foward but very bad with defensemen.

The more the guide is conservative the most accurate it's going to be. The players tend to produce less than expect. There's always exceptions (Tarasenko, Voracek, Johnson), it's hard to spot those breakout seasons but you win your pool whit these type of pick.

Maple Leaves

Jun 25, 2008
TO
The Sports Forecaster and Poolers guide are out in Toronto, picked them up today near University and Dundas

daggeg

Nov 3, 2011
Since I'm not living in North America I'm more interested in the guides being published digitally. Anyone knows if the Sports Forecaster's guide will be available in any digital format?

If anyone's interested I just got the answer from Hockey News saying that their Pool Guide will be available at Zinio next week, yay!

Fiddie

Jan 10, 2009
Edmonton
Is UPP the site that ranks guides? If so, what pool guides do they not include?

I think I bought it a couple years ago and it did not include Dobber.

The UPP is published by a individual with help from others it is based on a donation based service as he can not sell his rankings. It is by far and away my favourite choice for draft guides and I donate to him ever year and it is always completely worth it. It shows almost every draft guide he can get his hands on and has an averaged point prediction from all of the sources and dismisses any outliers.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Got my Forecaster. They're still doing points projections like it's 2008 scoring levels.

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
Got my Forecaster. They're still doing points projections like it's 2008 scoring levels.

Yes they are way to high. It's more an upside than a safe point projection.

C. Wilson
M. Domi
M. Scheiffle

Are laughable

And,

2 players above 100 (last year 0)
6 players between 90-99 (last year 0)
10 players between 89-80 (last year 5)
22 players between 79-70 (last year 14)

Forecaster is a good guide, but if your looking for point projection and don't think it's the best out there.

Maple Leaves

Jun 25, 2008
TO
Yes they are way to high. It's more an upside than a safe point projection.

C. Wilson
M. Domi
M. Scheiffle

Are laughable

And,

2 players above 100 (last year 0)
6 players between 90-99 (last year 0)
10 players between 89-80 (last year 5)
22 players between 79-70 (last year 14)

Forecaster is a good guide, but if your looking for point projection and don't think it's the best out there.

This, the Forecaster is good for the context they provide for each player (unlike THN's one sentence per player), but they've got some inflated points totals.

You can add Zucker to that list above, they have him projected to score the most goals for the Wild, and Hjalmarsson being listed as a Norris candidate seems highly unlikely given they only have him for 23 points.

IceT

Nov 17, 2009
I was really disappointed with their magazine last season, and doesn't sound like they have improved this season.
I will wait to purchase McKeen's which has better player profiles, and more realistic projections.

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
I think all the mags are similar with inflated points. I like the format of the Forecaster better than THN, Pooler Guide, and even the Sportsnet magazine. Just personal preference I guess. Curious what other people think is the best magazine.

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
Personnal preferences :
-McKeen's
-Dobber

I'm buing those guides but I should not :
-THN
-Hockey the Magazine
-Pool Pro
-Forecaster

Would give another chance :
-Sportsnet
-Fantasy Hockey Standard (dead ?)

Would like to try :
-Leftwinglock
-Rotowire
- Suggestions ???

Free website, only for projection :
-TSN (late september)
-ESPN (late september)

klassic

Jul 30, 2014
LeftWingLock does custom rankings based on your league settings. They included spreadsheets for goalies and skaters with all the projected stats as well as career and previous 3 year averages. There are also columns for average draft position that are updated daily once ESPN and Yahoo start drafting. I believe there are also daily updates based on auction values.

They do not have write-ups on every player. There is also a 347 page pdf draft kit that has tons of information and in depth info on select players.

The site itself has tons of fantasy tools in season. Starting goalies, Line combos, schedules, PIM predictor, roster maximizer, goalie sit/start calculator, etc. Tons more that I don't use.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
What about when it comes to Rookies/Prospects . In a Dynasty league thats fairly deep so my drafting is all on youth, or outsiders breaking in. I find most books focus on the top 150, 200, etc which is useless as i know who the top players are (so to speak) but need to know what prospects will break out, AKA Planarian, Reilly, provorov, zacka, klingberg(last year) any suggestions?

Mind

Mar 5, 2015
What about when it comes to Rookies/Prospects . In a Dynasty league thats fairly deep so my drafting is all on youth, or outsiders breaking in. I find most books focus on the top 150, 200, etc which is useless as i know who the top players are (so to speak) but need to know what prospects will break out, AKA Planarian, Reilly, provorov, zacka, klingberg(last year) any suggestions?

Dobber

They try to set a pourcentage of breaking out. By exemple they set a 10% chance that Nichushkin will reach 70 points this year. They are doing this for 5-6 players by team.

There is not a perfect guide. I don't think someone project Klingberg to break out like he did last year.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Dobber

They try to set a pourcentage of breaking out. By exemple they set a 10% chance that Nichushkin will reach 70 points this year. They are doing this for 5-6 players by team.

There is not a perfect guide. I don't think someone project Klingberg to break out like he did last year.

Thanks ill give it a try, ya impossible really to catch all players but would be happier seeing a top 50 ranked of prospects looking to break into the league and how efficient of a goal scorer they will be once there

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
Is the Sportsnet Magazine worth buying? I have never bought it and was curious about people's opinion. I am looking for accuracy of predictions, potential breakout, players to avoid, and a good read about teams (ie top prospects).

scheps

May 28, 2015
Is the Sportsnet Magazine worth buying? I have never bought it and was curious about people's opinion. I am looking for accuracy of predictions, potential breakout, players to avoid, and a good read about teams (ie top prospects).

You won't find a lot about teams top prospects. But I like it, it gives you lottery ticket players and good rookies, and next years top prospects and a good questions section. Is it out yet?

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
You won't find a lot about teams top prospects. But I like it, it gives you lottery ticket players and good rookies, and next years top prospects and a good questions section. Is it out yet?

Haven't seen it yet...just disappointed with the Forecaster.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008

Yes the Sportsnet fantasy mag is very good. They have a lot of interesting articles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad