F Adam Fantilli - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
As I said, he also wasn't good at the WJC when he should have been dominating.

It's not a great sign he hasn't shown much against the best of the best of his peers

I still see some major hockey IQ concerns.

Some amazing tools though
In any non-Bedard year, 5 points in 7 games is considered “good” for a draft eligible. Fantilli isn’t Bedard, McDavid, or Matthews, he’s a tier below. If you expected domination, that’s your own fault, because I sure didn’t.

Jack Eichel scored 4 points in 5 games in his draft year. I remember the absolute outrage! Doesn’t seem to have stopped him from piling up points in the NHL and developing into a top tier #1C. Unless you’re an Eichel hater too.

Let me ask you a hypothetical: if Fantilli hadn’t made the WJC team at all, would you be higher on him? I feel like many people would, because the WJC is the only time they’ve actually seen him play.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He is first in points per game.

It’s some 23 year old cat on Stonehill College who are technically division 1 this season

It’s like a decimal point and their schedule is a joke, but for all intents and purposes fantilli essentially is.

The hawks play against like intramural squads.

Last edited:

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
In any non-Bedard year, 5 points in 7 games is considered “good” for a draft eligible. Fantilli isn’t Bedard, McDavid, or Matthews, he’s a tier below. If you expected domination, that’s your own fault, because I sure didn’t.

Jack Eichel scored 4 points in 5 games in his draft year. I remember the absolute outrage! Doesn’t seem to have stopped him from piling up points in the NHL and developing into a top tier #1C. Unless you’re an Eichel hater too.

Let me ask you a hypothetical: if Fantilli hadn’t made the WJC team at all, would you be higher on him? I feel like many people would, because the WJC is the only time they’ve actually seen him play.
Nope, the IQ issues are everywhere.

He was draft eligible, but was 18 in the same way Lafreniere was. He should have done better, especially for someone that some around here were foolishly saying is just as good if not better than Bedard

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nope, the IQ issues are everywhere.

He was draft eligible, but was 18 in the same way Lafreniere was. He should have done better, especially for someone that some around here were foolishly saying is just as good if not better than Bedard
What exactly are his IQ issues? Taking penalties?

Reactions: d rake

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Tools no tool box player. Dumb plays with the puck relying on his tools to make it work
Are you sure you’re watching the right player?

I’m going to need you to elaborate, because I watch Fantilli every week and I completely disagree. Watched him yesterday and can’t think of a single “dumb play with the puck” that he made.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
More people need to hear this.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023

I’m going to need you to elaborate, because I watch Fantilli every week and I completely disagree. Watched him yesterday and can’t think of a single “dumb play with the puck” that he made.
So he had a good game then?

I've seen him plenty of time where he looks like he's doing a lot out there, but when you break it down, all he did was carry it deep into the oppositions end and then turn it over. Looks like he did a lot carrying the puck, but accomplished nothing

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So he had a good game then?

I've seen him plenty of time where he looks like he's doing a lot out there, but when you break it down, all he did was carry it deep into the oppositions end and then turn it over. Looks like he did a lot carrying the puck, but accomplished nothing
I’m telling you that I watch him every week and 1) I disagree that he has any IQ problems whatsoever and 2) every 18 year old does exactly what you’re describing sometimes.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I’m not saying that I think that Fantilli has elite hockey IQ, but it’s certainly not a weakness and calling him an “all tools no toolbox” player is ridiculous to me.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Tools no tool box player. Dumb plays with the puck relying on his tools to make it work
I actually agree that his IQ lags a bit behind his physical tools, but it's still not a glaring enough issue to say he's a no toolbox player.

I will say that I think his processing speed is pretty mediocre for a top offensive prospect.

I've been trying to think of some reasonable player comps, and I am starting to really like Lafreniere as a basis. Fantilli is a better skater and more aggressive, but I feel like both guys rely a lot on their physical tools and relative physical maturity, and struggle to consistently make good reads when things are moving quickly. If you go back and watch some tape of Lafreniere in Rimouski, he looks an awful lot like Fantilli...

Because of this, I think he has a more limited upside than some of the other top guys in this draft (but a higher floor than most as well). I definitely don't think he's a surefire 1C, but he does have that potential.

I think he likely ends up somewhere between a Ryan Johansen and Mika Zibanejad type of player.

Reactions: Bfan14

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I actually agree that his IQ lags a bit behind his physical tools, but it's still not a glaring enough issue to say he's a no toolbox player.

I will say that I think his processing speed is pretty mediocre for a top offensive prospect.

I've been trying to think of some reasonable player comps, and I am starting to really like Lafreniere as a basis. Fantilli is a better skater and more aggressive, but I feel like both guys rely a lot on their physical tools and relative physical maturity, and struggle to consistently make good reads when things are moving quickly. If you go back and watch some tape of Lafreniere in Rimouski, he looks an awful lot like Fantilli...

Because of this, I think he has a more limited upside than some of the other top guys in this draft (but a higher floor than most as well). I definitely don't think he's a surefire 1C, but he does have that potential.

I think he likely ends up somewhere between a Ryan Johansen and Mika Zibanejad type of player.
Taylor Hall 2.0 man. I’m telling you…

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Taylor Hall 2.0 man. I’m telling you…
There are similarities for sure, though I feel like Hall's processing is actually pretty good, he just has chronic tunnel vision and poor awareness. I think Fantilli has the opposite problem, where he sees the ice well but lacks the processor to take advantage. Lafreniere has this problem as well IMO.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
As I said, he also wasn't good at the WJC when he should have been dominating.

It's not a great sign he hasn't shown much against the best of the best of his peers

I still see some major hockey IQ concerns.

Some amazing tools though
MacKinnon produced a grand total of 1 point at the World Juniors in his draft year. Some players produce against their peers and then end up as tweeners in the minors or in Europe.

Y’all put way too much stock into this tournament sometimes.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
MacKinnon produced a grand total of 1 point at the World Juniors in his draft year. Some players produce against their peers and then end up as tweeners in the minors or in Europe.

Y’all put way too much stock into this tournament sometimes.
Mackinnon was playing the 13th forward IIRC and and 17.

Fantilli started on the second line and sucked so they moved him down. He was also 18.

Not comparable

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Mackinnon was playing the 13th forward IIRC and and 17.

Fantilli started on the second line and sucked so they moved him down. He was also 18.

Not comparable
It absolutely is comparable. MacKinnon didn’t even produce at an elite rate in the Q and then popped off in the playoffs and memorial cup. You vastly overrate world junior production when compared to his play in the NCAA.

You clearly don’t watch any of Fantillis games either. His IQ is not horrible, otherwise he wouldn’t be near leading the nation in goals and points in college hockey. Best college season for a draft eligible since Eichel, who had a mid world juniors yet I don’t see him having any problems producing at the NHL level.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
It absolutely is comparable. MacKinnon didn’t even produce at an elite rate in the Q and then popped off in the playoffs and memorial cup. You vastly overrate world junior production when compared to his play in the NCAA.

You clearly don’t watch any of Fantillis games either. His IQ is not horrible, otherwise he wouldn’t be near leading the nation in goals and points in college hockey. Best college season for a draft eligible since Eichel, who had a mid world juniors yet I don’t see him having any problems producing at the NHL level.
I never said ots horrible.

Its not at the level of an elite #1C in the NHL.

How is being a year younger and the 13th forward comparable to playing as an 18yo and being top 6 (and then dropped)?

He also scored at a 115pt pace in a full Q season despite an injury riddled year?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

How is being a year younger and the 13th forward comparable to playing as an 18yo and being top 6 (and then dropped)?

He also scored at a 115pt pace in a full Q season despite an injury riddled year?
MacKinnon and Eichel are both elite 1Cs in the NHL even when they didn’t produce against their peers at the World Juniors. Their production at that tournament clearly did not spell out the future of their careers and it won’t for Fantilli.

Fantilli currently leads the nation in the NCAA in points and is 2nd in goals as a center. Pretty hard to do that with no “hockey IQ” as you like to put it. I’ll take his stock in his league play over a few games of U18 and U20 tournaments where players aren’t even fully developed yet.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
MacKinnon and Eichel are both elite 1Cs in the NHL even when they didn’t produce against their peers at the World Juniors. Their production at that tournament clearly did not spell out the future of their careers and it won’t for Fantilli.

Fantilli currently leads the nation in the NCAA in points and is 2nd in goals as a center. Pretty hard to do that with no “hockey IQ” as you like to put it. I’ll take his stock in his league play over a few games of U18 and U20 tournaments where players aren’t even fully developed yet.
And Lafreniere won back to back CHL player of the year awards...

Scoring in lower leagues =/= scoring in the NHL

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

Not really sure what player this poster is watching because it sure isn't Fantili. He seems very fixated on his "lacklustre" WJC performance but obviously isn't factoring in that Fantili started on Canada's bottom six and worked his way up to the top six. He was instrumental in Canada's win over the U.S. and played very well during the gold medal game despite receiving less than optimal playing time. Canada was stacked this past year yet Fantili, as an 18 year old, remained valuable contributor.

I don't think anyone can argue that he is among the best true freshman to come along in the past twenty plus years and is having a season for the ages. He is an excellent consolation prize for any franchise in the upcoming draft and would have been the 1st over-all player in the past six drafts with the exception of maybe Dahlin. He has all the tools and the IQ to be a perennial all star and better than a ppg in the NHL. In short, a franchise center.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not really sure what player this poster is watching because it sure isn't Fantili. He seems very fixated on his "lacklustre" WJC performance but obviously isn't factoring in that Fantili started on Canada's bottom six and worked his way up to the top six. He was instrumental in Canada's win over the U.S. and played very well during the gold medal game despite receiving less than optimal playing time. Canada was stacked this past year yet Fantili, as an 18 year old, remained valuable contributor.

I don't think anyone can argue that he is among the best true freshman to come along in the past twenty plus years and is having a season for the ages. He is an excellent consolation prize for any franchise in the upcoming draft and would have been the 1st over-all player in the past six drafts with the exception of maybe Dahlin. He has all the tools and the IQ to be a perennial all star and better than a ppg in the NHL. In short, a franchise center.
I'm not sure he'd go ahead of Lafreniere or Hughes.

He's a great prospect but I think he has some processing limitations that might prevent him from becoming an elite player.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I'm not sure he'd go ahead of Lafreniere or Hughes.

He's a great prospect but I think he has some processing limitations that might prevent him from becoming an elite player.

With the season he is having, I'm pretty sure he goes ahead of both of these players without any GM blinking an eye. Bigger and stronger than Hughes yet just as talented and a much better skater than Lafreniere with a quicker release and a more competitive and aggressive style.

Trust me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his processing or IQ,. Ask any Michigan fan who watches him game in and game out and they will concur that he drives the play. His vision is as good as his release. He is a multi-dimensional threat.

The only issue is his inability to get a hold of his emotions but to me that's actually a plus. As he matures he will get a better handle on his temper but that intense fire that burns in him will continue.

He is going to be a franchise player that will rank among the MacKinnons and Eichels of the NHL...he is that good

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
With the season he is having, I'm pretty sure he goes ahead of both of these players without any GM blinking an eye. Bigger and stronger than Hughes yet just as talented and a much better skater than Lafreniere with a quicker release and a more competitive and aggressive style.

Trust me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his processing or IQ,. Ask any Michigan fan who watches him game in and game out and they will concur that he drives the play. His vision is as good as his release. He is a multi-dimensional threat.

The only issue is his inability to get a hold of his emotions but to me that's actually a plus. As he matures he will get a better handle on his temper but that intense fire that burns in him will continue.

He is going to be a franchise player that will rank among the MacKinnons and Eichels of the NHL...he is that good
We'll have to agree to disagree on that projection. I watch a lot of Michigan games and agree that he's been awesome, but I don't see him having the type of next level processor needed to be an elite offensive player.

• Haha
Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

ijuka

May 14, 2016

He just clearly is not as talented as Hughes. He's more NHL-ready, perhaps. But he somewhat reminds me of Quinton Byfield in that his main strengths are stuff such as size and skating.

You say there's nothing wrong with his processing and hockey IQ, but while I've not seen any of his NCAA games, internationally those two were clearly issues in my opinion.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Matthews had 3pts in 5 games his WJC debut, he was born 2 days after the cutoff. He's gone on to have a pretty good career.

Fantilli started the WJC rough but finished strong. He moved back up the lineup.

Sounds like you are looking for any disclaimer to discredit this kid, he's doing incredible thus far. Having 5 pts in 7 games as a predraft prospect is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad