F Adam Fantilli - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I've watched a bit of this kid, he's not even 15 but he's already very much on the radar since coming down to New England from the Toronto Jr. Canadians. His brother Luca (defenseman, '02) is already getting attention from major D1 schools and I reported earlier this week that Adam will potentially fast-track to become a senior next year, in which case he'd be eligible to play his 16-going-on-17 year old (D-1) season in college hockey. More realistically, he'd probably play juniors whether that is USHL or OHL, where he might be the top pick this spring. Some of the guys I've talked to in New England who have been scouting for decades say he's just as good if not better than Eichel and Colin White (who was very strong at that age) were at that time in their career. Definitely one to watch.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I thought it odd at first that he’d leave the GTHL for prep school, but from the sounds of it all their games are on the weekend, leaving the players the chance to hit the gym and the ice for long hours every day of the week.

He’s already well over 6’ at 14 and has tons of speed to burn. Definitely part of that front-running 2023 core we have right now of him, Bedard, and Yager.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
I've watched a bit of this kid, he's not even 15 but he's already very much on the radar since coming down to New England from the Toronto Jr. Canadians. His brother Luca (defenseman, '02) is already getting attention from major D1 schools and I reported earlier this week that Adam will potentially fast-track to become a senior next year, in which case he'd be eligible to play his 16-going-on-17 year old (D-1) season in college hockey. More realistically, he'd probably play juniors whether that is USHL or OHL, where he might be the top pick this spring. Some of the guys I've talked to in New England who have been scouting for decades say he's just as good if not better than Eichel and Colin White (who was very strong at that age) were at that time in their career. Definitely one to watch.

The reason given by Adam for leaving TJC was that he missed his brother Luca...but I don't entirely buy that as the sole reason. Mick Thompson was another top offensive player that left TJC at the beginning of the year in favor of the North Jersey Avalanche (now playing with top end 04's Devin Kaplan and Lane Hutson)...for multiple players to just up and leave an organization - something was going on behind the scene. However, many top end prospects still remain with that very good 04' TJC squad (Ty Nelson, Pano Fimis).

Regardless Adam Fantilli is among the top 04's North America has to offer, and that is saying a ton as it appears to be a very very strong year. Last season in the OHL Cup playing against 03's he was the best player on the ice (despite playing against exceptional status and fellow 04' Shane Wright).

I also got the opportunity to see Fantilli play live in Philadelphia in May alongside Rutger McGroarty on Draft Day Black...he is worth all the praise and I'd be willing to bet my Mortgage that Fantilli is a First Round draft pick in 2022.

Reactions: The Sweetness

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
The reason given by Adam for leaving TJC was that he missed his brother Luca...but I don't entirely buy that as the sole reason. Mick Thompson was another top offensive player that left TJC at the beginning of the year in favor of the North Jersey Avalanche (now playing with top end 04's Devin Kaplan and Lane Hutson)...for multiple players to just up and leave an organization - something was going on behind the scene. However, many top end prospects still remain with that very good 04' TJC squad (Ty Nelson, Pano Fimis).

Regardless Adam Fantilli is among the top 04's North America has to offer, and that is saying a ton as it appears to be a very very strong year. Last season in the OHL Cup playing against 03's he was the best player on the ice (despite playing against exceptional status and fellow 04' Shane Wright).

I also got the opportunity to see Fantilli play live in Philadelphia in May alongside Rutger McGroarty on Draft Day Black...he is worth all the praise and I'd be willing to bet my Mortgage that Fantilli is a First Round draft pick in 2022.
I think he legit really wants to be there at KUA with his brother, I don't read into it too much. I'm sure he knows what it's like to kill it against his age group and his brother was probably talking about how fun it was at KUA, plus they lost a top guy to the Q (Malatesta) just before the year so they had a spot for Adam to come in. IMO playing prep hockey against solid 18 year olds is as good as it gets for a kid his age, maybe he does one more year before junior hockey and gets his high school diploma. As far as Mick Thompson goes, no-brainer to go to Avalanche who have kids from all over, very nice set-up for AAA hockey one of the top rising programs in the country with kids from all over including Hutson and others, unlike Fantilli I think Thompson is a lock to try for NCAA route does not have the size to play CHL any time soon imo

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

I’ll take that bet. He’s not eligible until 2023, where he’s part of a three-pronged contingent vying for top spot right now, alongside Bedard and Yager.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
I’ll take that bet. He’s not eligible until 2023, where he’s part of a three-pronged contingent vying for top spot right now, alongside Bedard and Yager.

your reading comprehension skills need work. There will be 32 first round slots for your three-pronged contingent to fit into.

and Brayden Yager isn’t even in the same universe as Bedard or Fantilli. But as far as his draft eligibility, you are correct...2023...he’s that good that i forgot he was a December birthday, practically 2 years younger than some of his competition last year.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
your reading comprehension skills need work. There will be 32 first round slots for your three-pronged contingent to fit into.

and Brayden Yager isn’t even in the same universe as Bedard or Fantilli. But as far as his draft eligibility, you are correct...2023...he’s that good that i forgot he was a December birthday, practically 2 years younger than some of his competition last year.
My reading comprehension is fine. I was referring to the draft year.

And there are numerous elements in the scouting community who believe Yager is actually better than Bedard. Have you watched them play? I’ve seen Yager in person several times and tried my hardest to watch both play in tournaments. While Bedard’s skating, aggression, puck handling, and shooting ability pretty much guarantees he will be a star, it’s not at all unreasonable to suggest that Yager could end up the better well-rounded player and put up higher point totals at the NHL level.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
My reading comprehension is fine. I was referring to the draft year.

And there are numerous elements in the scouting community who believe Yager is actually better than Bedard. Have you watched them play? I’ve seen Yager in person several times and tried my hardest to watch both play in tournaments. While Bedard’s skating, aggression, puck handling, and shooting ability pretty much guarantees he will be a star, it’s not at all unreasonable to suggest that Yager could end up the better well-rounded player and put up higher point totals at the NHL level.
Hey there would you be kind enough to give me some context on Yager? I live out on the east coast so I don’t know a ton about western prospects other than what their stats and highlights tell me. How strong is the SMHL and how does what Yager is doing there compare to what Bedard is doing this year in the CSSHL?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hey there would you be kind enough to give me some context on Yager? I live out on the east coast so I don’t know a ton about western prospects other than what their stats and highlights tell me. How strong is the SMHL and how does what Yager is doing there compare to what Bedard is doing this year in the CSSHL?
It’s a good league, teams are coached well and I’d say play is quite structured as compared to other leagues comprised of the same age group. It has a damn good track record for providing good to great NHLers and contributing to the ranks of the WHL, and given the numbers it draws from, I think it has an excellent record in and always provides very competitive teams to national tournaments.

Yager himself is powerful and smart in all aspects of the game. Exudes skill but also strong leadership and effort in all areas and situations. It’s tough to give player comparisons at this age. I’d probably give Bedard the edge right now because, as I mentioned earlier, his package of speed + puck skills + incredible shooting ability + aggression on the puck pretty much guarantees he will be a star in the NHL someday, barring unforeseen developments. But Yager is excellent in his own right and from what I have heard, is a very real challenger for first pick in this upcoming WHL draft. Exceptional Status is a possibility for either or both IMO.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Thoughts on him being drafted 1st in the OHL draft (potentially)? Will he report?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Thoughts on him being drafted 1st in the OHL draft (potentially)? Will he report?
he's displaying the signs of really humoring the NCAA route but he's so good that it's hard to bet on that actually materializing. It seems like kind of a chicken or the egg thing because he strikes me as someone worth spending the first overall pick on because then you show him that you value him there and then you bet on yourself to recruit him. That said if you have first overall because of being a terrible team then maybe it's a hard sell. If I was London or some other big team I would make a major trade for that top pick if I could confirm he would come to the team. If a bad team takes him I definitely could see him going to college

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
he's displaying the signs of really humoring the NCAA route but he's so good that it's hard to bet on that actually materializing. It seems like kind of a chicken or the egg thing because he strikes me as someone worth spending the first overall pick on because then you show him that you value him there and then you bet on yourself to recruit him. That said if you have first overall because of being a terrible team then maybe it's a hard sell. If I was London or some other big team I would make a major trade for that top pick if I could confirm he would come to the team. If a bad team takes him I definitely could see him going to college
Can't trade for 1st round picks in the OHL. He'd have to be designated a non-report, and the team would get a comp pick (2nd overall in 2021) and whatever a team he's willing to report to will give them.

Reactions: d rake

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Can't trade for 1st round picks in the OHL. He'd have to be designated a non-report, and the team would get a comp pick (2nd overall in 2021) and whatever a team he's willing to report to will give them.
No kidding? Is that new? Smart for kids to threaten going ncaa so they can pick their team, so to speak, then

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No kidding? Is that new? Smart for kids to threaten going ncaa so they can pick their team, so to speak, then
It's been around for a decade at least.

Big-name GTHL/Ontario kids rarely go the non-OHL route, unless you are talking about the Hughes brothers who were all American citizens. Marner and Domi threatened it, but both ended up playing their 16-year-old season in the OHL. Biggest name to do it is probably Cogliano, maybe Fantilli will, as going to a NH Prep school is an extremely uncommon move to a Toronto kid, given UCC and SAC play similar level competition without having to leave the city.

Reactions: d rake

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think as of now North Bay holds that pick. Nobody worthwhile will report there, especially a player like Fantilli.

I still think North Bay would draft him. I think Fantilli wants to come to the OHL, and he's probably fine going to a number of locations, so he'll be able to net them a nice bounty of picks on top of a high end compensation pick for the 2021 OHL draft (Likely giving them 2 in the top 5). Their 2021 OHL draft pick pool is much better than their 2020 anyways.

I seriously doubt North Bay is going to be able to build on the fly so they may just need to tear it all down, get as much as they can, and hope they are good enough to put together a serious team when Vrbetic, Arnsby and the Christopoulos twins are in their primes.

Reactions: Uncle

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's been around for a decade at least.

Big-name GTHL/Ontario kids rarely go the non-OHL route, unless you are talking about the Hughes brothers who were all American citizens. Marner and Domi threatened it, but both ended up playing their 16-year-old season in the OHL. Biggest name to do it is probably Cogliano, maybe Fantilli will, as going to a NH Prep school is an extremely uncommon move to a Toronto kid, given UCC and SAC play similar level competition without having to leave the city.

The big motivation was his brother was also going to move to play there, but IDK why they didn't go to a Canadian Prep school. Maybe they liked the education quality better, or something like that.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
The big motivation was his brother was also going to move to play there, but IDK why they didn't go to a Canadian Prep school. Maybe they liked the education quality better, or something like that.
Kimball Union are pretty dominant in New England prep having won three times in a row in, basically in the best high school league in America. St. Andrew's or somewhere else could have been good but KUA has the old head coach at Maine running a top-level operation, hard to compete with that

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Kimball Union are pretty dominant in New England prep having won three times in a row in, basically in the best high school league in America. St. Andrew's or somewhere else could have been good but KUA has the old head coach at Maine running a top-level operation, hard to compete with that

Then there is your answer to why Luca Fantilli went there, and by extension, why Adam went there too.

A smart move for a team may be to hit up Niagara and try and convince them to trade Luca to them so Adam can play with his brother. Seems like a small price to pay to get a top quality player to commit to your team for at least 3 years.

Reactions: tealhockey

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Then there is your answer to why Luca Fantilli went there, and by extension, why Adam went there too.

A smart move for a team may be to hit up Niagara and try and convince them to trade Luca to them so Adam can play with his brother. Seems like a small price to pay to get a top quality player to commit to your team for at least 3 years.
Or Nbay trade for his brother :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad