Experience in net

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
From the beginning of the season it took Helly 19 games to have 5 games below .900 SV%. He's had 5 below .900 in his last 10 games, including 2 of the last 3. I know small sample size and all that, but he doesn't look as sharp as often as he did earlier. Maybe he's tired or maybe some of his summer lessons aren't as fresh in his mind. Whatever, they're going to need .925 Helly to make noise in the playoffs.

I agree, he does seem to be trending down. Connor Hellebuyck

But I've been worried about his consistency all year. He's had 22 games this season where his SV% is below last year's season average of .907. That's a lot of "off games". Yes, he's had more good games, some spectacularly good, to help boost his overall average but I'm still afraid that goaltending will be what knocks us out of the playoffs. And if he is tired already from being overused, then the team needs to address that and get Hutch or Mason into more games over the rest of the regular season. Going into the playoffs, Bucky Bread needs to be fresh and hot right out of the oven. Stale Bucky Bread will just leave a bad taste in our mouths. :nod:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Let's get real dont we need this guy? Tonight well.... was tonight.....WE LOST BECAUSE of goaltending.

First 2 games of the year we lost because of goaltending. Where was Mason's experience there?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Nashville is a strong team and was our toughest match up. You can blame the goaltending Rinne let in 5 or marvel at the offence.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
IMG_0603.jpg

Practice scheduled in 2 hours
You can see that from BC?

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Despite the narratives pushed by the Eastern media.. Helle is our MVP. The fact this topic exists is sickening and makes me wonder if people just need something to bitch about .

Yeah he let in 6.. Maybe 3 were saveable but he also made some pretty big saves... Breakaway.

This guy has been our MVP

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
This is too funny, lest we forget who bailed us out night after night in October when this team was struggling. When all of us were championing how important the beginning of the season was (which it is).

Reactions: Jets 31

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

But I've been worried about his consistency all year. He's had 22 games this season where his SV% is below last year's season average of .907. That's a lot of "off games". Yes, he's had more good games, some spectacularly good, to help boost his overall average but I'm still afraid that goaltending will be what knocks us out of the playoffs. And if he is tired already from being overused, then the team needs to address that and get Hutch or Mason into more games over the rest of the regular season. Going into the playoffs, Bucky Bread needs to be fresh and hot right out of the oven. Stale Bucky Bread will just leave a bad taste in our mouths. :nod:

Right, he's had 22 games under the average, and 28 games over. That's how averages work some games will be below and some above. Every goalie in the league has many many games of .8 something save percentage

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
This is too funny, lest we forget who bailed us out night after night in October when this team was struggling. When all of us were championing how important the beginning of the season was (which it is).

No one forgets October, but this isn't October.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Might be smart to start giving Mason some starts down the stretch in case he is needed come playoff time.

Reactions: GNP

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
The RoJo goal was the killer. Should have had that. The Preds in general were shooting low expecting big rebounds... which they got.

On the flip side, we made Rinne look like a sieve. When you get two ridiculously powerful offensive teams, you wont see sparkling save % from either, usually.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
He's had more than one bad game. He's had more than one bad game in his last three.

He had a shutout last game? lol.

My concern is workload. Need to manage rest as best we can for Helle. No need to run him ragged in the final stretch. If Hutch gives best chance to win currently outside of Helle, go Hutch. I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Mason down to the AHL on a conditioning stint while they play in Winnipeg to give him some game time action to get a little sharpness back.

Reactions: GNP

abax44

Jan 22, 2005

My concern is workload. Need to manage rest as best we can for Helle. No need to run him ragged in the final stretch. If Hutch gives best chance to win currently outside of Helle, go Hutch. I also wouldn't be opposed to sending Mason down to the AHL on a conditioning stint while they play in Winnipeg to give him some game time action to get a little sharpness back.

The shutout doesn't change what he said. 6 goals on 32 shots last night and 4 on 32 two games ago.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
When we signed Mason I wasn't a fan of it. People asked what would I have preferred. I said Raanta. He is now 8th in save percentage on the worst team in the league, making $1M vs Mason's $4.1M. Helle and Raanta would have been a great 1-2.

That being said I think both Mason and Hutch are capable if Helle struggles. Hopefully Helle doesn't and we don't have to think about that.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
When we signed Mason I wasn't a fan of it. People asked what would I have preferred. I said Raanta. He is now 8th in save percentage on the worst team in the league, making $1M vs Mason's $4.1M. Helle and Raanta would have been a great 1-2.

That being said I think both Mason and Hutch are capable if Helle struggles. Hopefully Helle doesn't and we don't have to think about that.

Raanta cost a 1st, Mason was free.

Reactions: WiscoJet

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

This is all I’m saying — maybe Helle needs a bit more rest. I’m not saying he’s trash but he has been not as strong of late. Maybe it’s fatigue, maybe it’s variance ... or maybe it’s the post all star game collapse like happened to Hutch. Not saying it is just saying I can’t shake that fear despite the track record previously this season. He was garbage last season so I need to see more to know whether he had a long hot streak (as others have had) or if all star Helle is the real Helle.

Reactions: Board Bard

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016

Decided to extrapolate this to other goalies from other contending teams and top 10 in save percentage 40 starts minimum.

Rinne 14/46 30%
Gibson 14/46 30%
Andersen 18/54 33%
Quick 17/48 35%
Vasilevskiy 19/51 37%
Dubnyk 18/44 41% 2 OT Losses that drops him below .907 for those starts, 36% if OT losses taken out
Hellebuyck 22/50 44% 4 OT Losses that drops him below .907 for those starts, 36% if OT losses taken out
Rask 18/40 45% 1 OT Loss that drops him below .907 for those starts, 43% if OT losses taken out

Most important thing I learned doing this exercise is good thing we aren't playing 3 on 3 hockey in the playoffs.

Reactions: Jetsfareast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad