Exhibition: Aug 25 GDT - USA vs. Canada (1-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Jezz, I had to work duirng the whole game. I called home to tell my mom to look up the score by the damn phone was busy. Anyways, its nice to see Canada on the win column.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
nomorekids said:
as do i, and thus, you should exclude yourself from the well-spirited jab i was taking at those were writing off last game as "just exhibition, " doubtless the same posters that will now celebrate this game as "a sure sign of a Canadian cup"

For me, when Canada loses, it's just an exhibition game. When we win, it's the real macoy. :D :banana: ;)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
how did lemieux get the 2nd star when sakic had the gwg and didn't get any star of the game?

can't wait for usa-can on tuesday. i don't think any team(including canada) is going to plow through this tournament. there's just too many powerhouses now. czech, sweden, and russia could easily win this tournament along with canada or us.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
goteam said:
Gone from the World Cup - it's true - Hal Gill.

Proof:
http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/news_story.asp?id=96303 (Click on "World Cup Report" on the side).
Brent Wallace near the end of the story says "Team USA's defense, which is already without Derian Hatcher and Mathieu Schneider suffered another key loss on Wednesday night as Hal Gill suffered a broken foot that will likely require surgery."

So, who does everyone pick to replace Gill?

Carney and Mara have already obviously declined.

I'm afraid that they'll be looking for a big body, so they'll choose Poti....

I'd rather have any of the following: Mark Eaton, JM Liles, Tim Gleason, or Berard.

I'd prefer Eaton, he's super underrated, and he's a bigger defenseman than Liles.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Dark Metamorphosis said:
how did lemieux get the 2nd star when sakic had the gwg and didn't get any star of the game?

can't wait for usa-can on tuesday. i don't think any team(including canada) is going to plow through this tournament. there's just too many powerhouses now. czech, sweden, and russia could easily win this tournament along with canada or us.

I think that's what makes this such a great tournment. There is no clearcut favorite and with the exception of Germany, no offense to the German fans ;) , every team has a legimate shot at winning this type of tourny. And I am with you, Tuesday is going to be awesome :yo:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Canadian_man said:
For me, when Canada loses, it's just an exhibition game. When we win, it's the real macoy. :D :banana: ;)

It's funny though, cause if you go to Canadian sites around the internet and look at some of the fan forums, you'd think last night's game had been the say-all, end-all of world war. I'm actually shocked at how many Canadians (sure, they're just fans having their fun) actually write up "the US team totally sucks" and "the US is so piss-poor, they don't have a shot in hell" type of comments. Fact is, after two mere test games IN Canada, the US and Canada have split with the same scores, and the US has outshot Canada...... something makes me think Canadians are pretty doggone nervous, ehh? You can bet your bottom dollar that Canadian players have a heck of a lot more respect for the guys on Team USA than you fans do!

I think Canada has THE best roster on the planet. You guys are like the Brazil of ice hockey. There isn't one country with the exception of perhaps Sweden (they seem to think they HAVE the 4 best players on earth) that doesn't see Team Canada as having the best line-up in this tournament. Everyone is gunning for you. Canadians cannot have anything close to an "underdog" mentality. In fact, you should be cocky about your team because postition for position, Canada outdoes EVERY other opponent on the planet on paper. Anything less than the utter victory of this tournament is pure failure for team Canada.

I was also shocked when the Canadians I know were so cocky after having won the Olympics. You guys are expected to win, and damn near didn't do it after opening results like the 5-2 loss to Sweden and then the mere 3-2 victory in OT against Germany. Then, with the eyes of the ice hockey Gods upon you, you Canadians had the grace of getting that warm-up game against Belarus (darn Swedes, uggg!!!) in the playoffs. The US however, beat all their opponents and had to knock off the Czechs and Russians on the way to the final..... and yet, Canada walks away with the Gold. You guys played ONE game better than the US - although your roster is clearly the best on the planet - and it just happened to be against the US in the gold medal game.

Welp, that's the way the cookie crumbles..... we'll see what this World Cup brings. But don't be surprised to see most fans think Canadians need a big ol' piece of humble pie.

But heck, maybe Germany will win this thing!?:)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
CIsle said:
Welp, that's the way the cookie crumbles..... we'll see what this World Cup brings. But don't be surprised to see most fans think Canadians need a big ol' piece of humble pie.

Good god, I believe an American has just called Canadians arrogant...a sure sign of the apocolypse. (just kidding) :D

Firstly, get over the generalizations. Most learned Canadian hockey fans respect the fact there is a thin margin between Canadian hockey talent and the rest of the world. Yes, we think we're the best, but we also know that on any given night we could lose to any one of a half dozen teams. Actually, probably more than that.

Secondly, many non-Canadian fans were notorious for flogging Canada as a team of chokers that would never win the 'big one' (especially on these boards) after failing in the 96' World Cup and the 98' Olympics. American fans in particular. There were a lot of Canadian fans waiting for their moment, and if a few innocent American fans got caught in the cross-fire after the 2002 win, well, that's probably similar to what's happening now.

And in terms of your Olympic point about Canada not deserving to necessarily win, that's like we Canadians continuing to complain about Richter in 1996. At least Canada could use the excuse of having out-played the U.S in that tourney. Let's face it, Canada dominated the U.S. in the gold medal final - and the best team won (but admittedly, I respect the arguement that Richter was part of hte U.S. team in '96, and thus the best team won then).

I think we all know if the semi's and finals were best of 5 or 7 game series, we'd probably get a more consisnent result, and a better argument over which team is best at any given tourney. Like Brazilians probably wished in soccer, we Canadians would really like to see the affect of playing Canada for several games in a row. Man, imagine the '72 summit series was just the four games in Canada? Or the 87' World Cup final was just one game against Russia? Canada's international record starts to look less impressive.

And a little humble pie never hurt anyone - as we Canadian fans are all too well aware of.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Good god, I believe an American has just called Canadians arrogant...a sure sign of the apocolypse. (just kidding) :D

Firstly, get over the generalizations. Most learned Canadian hockey fans respect the fact there is a thin margin between Canadian hockey talent and the rest of the world. Yes, we think we're the best, but we also know that on any given night we could lose to any one of a half dozen teams. Actually, probably more than that.

Secondly, many non-Canadian fans were notorious for flogging Canada as a team of chokers that would never win the 'big one' (especially on these boards) after failing in the 96' World Cup and the 98' Olympics. American fans in particular. There were a lot of Canadian fans waiting for their moment, and if a few innocent American fans got caught in the cross-fire after the 2002 win, well, that's probably similar to what's happening now.

And in terms of your Olympic point about Canada not deserving to necessarily win, that's like we Canadians continuing to complain about Richter in 1996. At least Canada could use the excuse of having out-played the U.S in that tourney. Let's face it, Canada dominated the U.S. in the gold medal final - and the best team won (but admittedly, I respect the arguement that Richter was part of hte U.S. team in '96, and thus the best team won then).

I think we all know if the semi's and finals were best of 5 or 7 game series, we'd probably get a more consisnent result, and a better argument over which team is best at any given tourney. Like Brazilians probably wished in soccer, we Canadians would really like to see the affect of playing Canada for several games in a row. Man, imagine the '72 summit series was just the four games in Canada? Or the 87' World Cup final was just one game against Russia? Canada's international record starts to look less impressive.

And a little humble pie never hurt anyone - as we Canadian fans are all too well aware of.

Just a small correction, but the poster you're responding to is German, not American.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
So, who does everyone pick to replace Gill?

Carney and Mara have already obviously declined.

I'm afraid that they'll be looking for a big body, so they'll choose Poti....

I'd rather have any of the following: Mark Eaton, JM Liles, Tim Gleason, or Berard.

I'd prefer Eaton, he's super underrated, and he's a bigger defenseman than Liles.

I just watched a TSN clip and Glenn Healy mentioned Gill did in fact break his foot, which is why Rolston was playing some 5 on 5 on the point. This is not good, not because Gill is a world beater, but for chemistry issues. I don't know who I'd ask to play at this point, since it should really be a strong, stay-at-home type. Maybe Bret Hedican?

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
CIsle said:
It's funny though, cause if you go to Canadian sites around the internet and look at some of the fan forums, you'd think last night's game had been the say-all, end-all of world war. I'm actually shocked at how many Canadians (sure, they're just fans having their fun) actually write up "the US team totally sucks" and "the US is so piss-poor, they don't have a shot in hell" type of comments. Fact is, after two mere test games IN Canada, the US and Canada have split with the same scores, and the US has outshot Canada...... something makes me think Canadians are pretty doggone nervous, ehh? You can bet your bottom dollar that Canadian players have a heck of a lot more respect for the guys on Team USA than you fans do!

I think Canada has THE best roster on the planet. You guys are like the Brazil of ice hockey. There isn't one country with the exception of perhaps Sweden (they seem to think they HAVE the 4 best players on earth) that doesn't see Team Canada as having the best line-up in this tournament. Everyone is gunning for you. Canadians cannot have anything close to an "underdog" mentality. In fact, you should be cocky about your team because postition for position, Canada outdoes EVERY other opponent on the planet on paper. Anything less than the utter victory of this tournament is pure failure for team Canada.

I was also shocked when the Canadians I know were so cocky after having won the Olympics. You guys are expected to win, and damn near didn't do it after opening results like the 5-2 loss to Sweden and then the mere 3-2 victory in OT against Germany. Then, with the eyes of the ice hockey Gods upon you, you Canadians had the grace of getting that warm-up game against Belarus (darn Swedes, uggg!!!) in the playoffs. The US however, beat all their opponents and had to knock off the Czechs and Russians on the way to the final..... and yet, Canada walks away with the Gold. You guys played ONE game better than the US - although your roster is clearly the best on the planet - and it just happened to be against the US in the gold medal game.

Ack. Imagine had I have been serious! :amazed:

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Last edited by 19bruins19: 08-25-2004 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Didn't want to hurt peoples feelings

:lol:

I don't know you 19Bruins19, but after this, you are definetly one of my favorite posters.

Vic Rattlehead*

OneSpeedOnly said:
Last edited by 19bruins19: 08-25-2004 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Didn't want to hurt peoples feelings

:lol:

I don't know you 19Bruins19, but after this, you are definetly one of my favorite posters.
Awesome! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad