GDT: Exhibition • North America vs. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I'm not sure if your point is ESPN is stupid or the poster was wrong haha. Personally, I thought Eichel had a pretty uninspired night for the most part, a couple nice plays withstanding. And in the first game of the year in a preseason exhibition game involving made-up teams, this is absolutely disastrous for him. :sarcasm:

But seriously, Eichel when he's not at his best can have a very sleepy/lazy quality to his game. Tonight was just one of those nights. The 2-way label was......interesting though.

He had several good break ups on the back check. Probably what the article was referring to.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For this being the first live game for this team, damn impressive overall. Top to bottom.

I'm more pumped about this team than I am Team Canada. North American hockey is in good hands.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Trouba was most physical D.
Barely noticed Reilly.
Other than MacKinnon, no forward was exceptional.
M. Murray was great.

It was a team effort, which is why I picked them to make final.

I mostly agree with this only that I would also have added McDavid and Gaudreau as having an awesome games. That McDavid kid is just on another level to be honest. As an Avs fan, was really happy to see MacK tear it up!

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Trouba was most physical D.
Barely noticed Reilly.
Other than MacKinnon, no forward was exceptional.
M. Murray was great.

It was a team effort, which is why I picked them to make final.

Rielly had some nice shots in the 2nd period I think but they were more in their defensive zone in the 3rd and think he and Ekblad quietly did their job well.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I thought Matthews looked good out there for an 18 year old. He didn't look out of a place but for a few turnovers.

MacKinnon, Gaudreau, and McDavid were the standouts to me. Drouin had a good first period, kinda tailed off after that. Looked good in the defensive zone though, good to see the hustle.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't like Trouba's game tonight at all. What did everyone else think?

Solid positioning, often covering nicely when Ghost went up ice. Very few mistakes with the puck. Made good decisions with the puck. Had a couple of shots toward the net. Very physical (ask Niederreiter). A basic, steady game. Team NA is going to need that kind of play on D when they play the bigger and better teams.

What did you see that made you think he had a poor game?

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I don't like their chances against Canada. Most of that team has played together in multiple tournaments, they've got Babcock coaching, and elite defense and goaltending. NA might be the 2nd best team in the tournament, but the only way I see them beating Canada is if the vets on Canada treat it like the gimmicky tournament it is and not the Olympics.

I don't like any teams chances against Canada, but that doesn't mean that they aren't beatable....especially with a team that can out skate them and a goalie that could potentially outshine Price.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm not sure if your point is ESPN is stupid or the poster was wrong haha. Personally, I thought Eichel had a pretty uninspired night for the most part, a couple nice plays withstanding. And in the first game of the year in a preseason exhibition game involving made-up teams, this is absolutely disastrous for him. :sarcasm:

But seriously, Eichel when he's not at his best can have a very sleepy/lazy quality to his game. Tonight was just one of those nights. The 2-way label was......interesting though.

He was good defensively. He also had 4 shots on goal and an assist. Eichel's got a very long stride, unlike speed demons like McDavid and Mackinnon's shorter strides.

But as a Buffalo fan who watches Jack intently, he doesn't impose himself as much as he could, he does have nonchalant shifts. The GM in a radio interview late in the season said he nags Bylsma to kick Eichel in the ass, get in his ear on the bench. Not Bylsma's style though.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah I'd say Eichel's game started off very slow but finished with good efforts. Not up to his high quality standard of play but I'm sure he's getting used to his line mates.

I actually thought Gaudreau and Saad were strong tonight on that line. Saad faded a little late though, but the lines also got jumbled.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Regarding Gostisbehere - there are a lot of defensemen that are more than capable of distributing the puck for this PP1, and all of them are a good bit less capable than 53. In the corners against bigger forwards he's still 175 pounds but his transition D is very good and his offense is excellent. He's going to see a lot of ice time in this tournament and deservedly so.

He's not going to be seeing a lot of icetime. He will be spotted in 5 on 5, and get PP1 duty, just like tonight.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He was good defensively. He also had 4 shots on goal and an assist. Eichel's got a very long stride, unlike speed demons like McDavid and Mackinnon's shorter strides.

But as a Buffalo fan who watches Jack intently, he doesn't impose himself as much as he could, he does have nonchalant shifts. The GM in a radio interview late in the season said he nags Bylsma to kick Eichel in the ass, get in his ear on the bench. Not Bylsma's style though.

Yeah, Eichel looks slow. He isn't. But to watch him sometimes it looks like things are moving in slow motion.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I disagree...he might not have been as razzle dazzle as a few others, but, he did have some flash at points, but other times his hockey IQ was impressive...some of his chips and passes and his awareness of his linemates is sublime.

Yeah maybe underwhelming wasn't the best choice of words, he had a nice pass to Gaudreau on that bank pass up the ice. He's clearly a special player, it comes more from thinking he's got an extra gear still.

All in all, the team played very well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Agree with that; not every player and especially every defenseman is going to be or do some standout thing every game.

If you barely notice a Dman in a game, that's a good thing.

Murray was solid as well, especially on breakouts and clearing the zones I thought.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's not going to be seeing a lot of icetime. He will be spotted in 5 on 5, and get PP1 duty, just like tonight.

This myth about Ghost's defense is just that...a myth. He's no world-beater defensively blocking dem shots and making dem hits and a player his size can be susceptible to extended cycles, but he is in fact respectable defensively. High effort level, incredible speed to close gaps, very active stick, phenomenal NZ defense and transition ability. All of that was evidenced tonight if you iso on him. He is far removed from being a defensive liability.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Especially with Parayko sitting out... no one outside of Ekblad is guaranteed a spot on D

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Solid positioning, often covering nicely when Ghost went up ice. Very few mistakes with the puck. Made good decisions with the puck. Had a couple of shots toward the net. Very physical (ask Niederreiter). A basic, steady game. Team NA is going to need that kind of play on D when they play the bigger and better teams.

What did you see that made you think he had a poor game?

Agree with that; not every player and especially every defenseman is going to be or do some standout thing every game.

I guess I was a little harsh, I just expected a bit more I guess. I know he's a fine dman. Like someone in this thread said, if you don't notice a dman, it can be good.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If you barely notice a Dman in a game, that's a good thing.

Murray was solid as well, especially on breakouts and clearing the zones I thought.

Sometimes and sometimes not. Sometimes it's clinical efficiency in the subtle areas that shouldn't be attention grabbing unless you're a smart watcher; sometimes it's just passivity and unassertiveness. Not commenting on anyone tonight really, just saying.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I was live at Videotron center tonight.

MacKinnon (****ing wow)
McDavid
Gaudreau
Matthews (You've got a ****ing great one here, toronto!)

are the forward that stood out for me. I also liked very much RNH and Drouin.

Defensively, i was very impressed with Ryan Murray and Ekblad. A bit disapointed by Gostisbehere, i tought he was physically weak in his zone.

Matt Murray is a ****ing stud.

From Team Europe,

Kopitar was very impressing for me.

Chara looked slow. I don't think there are many games left for him in this league. Probably his last contract.

Sekera is bad. Oilers should have kept Petry for the same contract...

Was not really impressed with Josi, he was very weak on RNH goal.

Liked Bellemare in a support role.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I guess I was a little harsh, I just expected a bit more I guess. I know he's a fine dman. Like someone in this thread said, if you don't notice a dman, it can be good.

I think it's fair to say Trouba's growth curve offensively has been a bit puzzling. If he doesn't expand his game over the next year and a half or so it's a problem relative to expectations.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sometimes and sometimes not. Sometimes it's clinical efficiency in the subtle areas that shouldn't be attention grabbing unless you're a smart watcher; sometimes it's just passivity and unassertiveness. Not commenting on anyone tonight really, just saying.

Yeah I mean more in the sense of breaking up the cycle, retrieving pucks on dump-ins without turning it over, transitioning up ice quickly on the breakout. Also simply being aware when line changes are happening to slow the pace down and wait until you can hit your forwards in stride.

By not being noticeable it's more they just do their job as you expect, nothing flashy. Hopefully that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad