GDT: Exhibition • North America vs. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
How is 63 points higher than 60-65?

And his next two seasons were worse. I know, Roy, but still. He needs to play on a line with grinder types.

For someone with the name "Semantics", you don't seem to be the best at reading comprehension. He said 63 points is in the range of 60-65. He said it was his career high at 18.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Europe played pretty solid given the fact it's their first game, and it's first game IN THE SEASON. You have to take into account that there's more like 10 players who are 30+ of age, that's like half the roster. These guys always take a bit time to get going. I'm pretty sure they will be better the next game, and I am sure as hell they will be much better at the tournament. You have to give credit to the NA team too. They are so damn fast, they are the fastest team at the tournament, were playing very enthusiastic, they are all young and U24, and then you realize that the other team has 13 players who are 30+, and some of them are 35+. If any team needs a bit time to prepare, it's Team Europe. They played pretty good hockey overall today. There were some good chances, and also I think they should shoot more, seemed like they were passing too much out of respect to other teammates possibly. This team definitely has a potential to do some damage, and I would wait for any comments about their chances at the tournament for the final pre-tournament game against Sweden, because I'm pretty sure it won't be 4-0 again anymore.

MacKinnon had a great game, the McDavid line is flying. Matthews was one of the better forwards on the ice definitely. He indeed has the "wow" factor, as McLellan said, and I definitely saw at least two of those moment from him in this game. It's true that Eichel needs to get going, but again, it's their first game, you should expect some players to look "bad," that's natural and it will get better. Gaudreau looks good. I'm not sure if it's just me but Saad and Couturier were pretty invisible. But again, that doesn't mean anything. Matt Murray was pretty solid in net.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
In Europe (at least) there's still some bookies giving 20/1 odds on team NA. Get on the bandwagon guys while you can. These won't last long and these guys have a chance against anybody.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
MacKinnon is a straight-line player and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Every team needs a couple guys who are shoot first forwards and MacKinnon's tools are perfectly suited to that task. As he continues to mature (he just turned 21 last week) as a player he'll understand where to pick his spots to attack a bit better but I thought tonight perfectly demonstrated his insane acceleration and how aggressive it enables him to be on the forecheck or breakout. His best seasons are yet to come.

Agreed.

Nates a good player and will get better.

He will be a regular of Team Canada going forward, he may not turn out to be the best player of his draft but that is o.k because he is going to be one of the best ones of his draft and an all star who will be an important player of any team he plays on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Eichel was underwhelming tonight. I expect he'll be better next game.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

He was fine. He doesn't need to be the center of attention or the talk of the tournament to be an effective player in a game. He wasn't a drag on his line or team. He wasn't a highlight reel. He was fine tonight.

Also, Afterall it was an exhibition. A lot of players weren't exactly "standouts". :dunno:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
People always overreact when it comes to games like this.

When the entire roster is made up of good players, there will be some who don't play well. No way around it. Especially when they are playing against other good NHL players.

Not everyone can be good every game for both teams. Get used to it....some of the guys who were good tonight, will be bad or invisible in the next game.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The Mackinnon hate is so funny considering that out of every Canadian player on this team... he probably had the best shot at making Team Canada.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

All-American line makes its mark: A lot of attention has been paid to Connor McDavid and the first real North American exposure of Matthews, but the Team North America's All-American line centered by Jack Eichel was effective with Eichel's 200-foot game really strong.

Johnny Gaudreau scored the game's third goal with both Brandon Saad and Eichel getting the assist.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/42928/what-we-learned-team-north-america-4-team-europe-0

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Drouin also wasn't very good IMO. Would like to see Gaudreau on that line instead.

McDavid, Gaudreau, Eichel, Matthews, Scheifele, MacKinnon looked clearly better than the other half of the forwards.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He was fine. He doesn't need to be the center of attention or the talk of the tournament to be an effective player in a game. He wasn't a drag on his line or team. He wasn't a highlight reel. He was fine tonight.

Also, Afterall it was an exhibition. A lot of players weren't exactly "standouts". :dunno:

For sure. Definitely wasn't poor by any means, it comes from high expectations for how good he is. He finished the game well when he was moved to a line with Drouin and Schiefele.

Overall, this team is dynamic and will be difficult for any team.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
N/A could potentially be the story of the tourney if they keep the pedal down and Matt Murray can continue to shine. Very dangerous team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I'm not sure if your point is ESPN is stupid or the poster was wrong haha. Personally, I thought Eichel had a pretty uninspired night for the most part, a couple nice plays withstanding. And in the first game of the year in a preseason exhibition game involving made-up teams, this is absolutely disastrous for him. :sarcasm:

But seriously, Eichel when he's not at his best can have a very sleepy/lazy quality to his game. Tonight was just one of those nights. The 2-way label was......interesting though.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
People always overreact when it comes to games like this.

When the entire roster is made up of good players, there will be some who don't play well. No way around it. Especially when they are playing against other good NHL players.

Not everyone can be good every game for both teams. Get used to it....some of the guys who were good tonight, will be bad or invisible in the next game.

Exactly. It's first game for everybody. I expect second games to be better.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure if your point is ESPN is stupid or the poster was wrong haha. Personally, I thought Eichel had a pretty uninspired night for the most part, a couple nice plays withstanding. And in the first game of the year in a preseason exhibition game involving made-up teams, this is absolutely disastrous for him. :sarcasm:

But seriously, Eichel when he's not at his best can have a very sleepy/lazy quality to his game. Tonight was just one of those nights. The 2-way label was......interesting though.

Yeah I'd say Eichel's game started off very slow but finished with good efforts. Not up to his high quality standard of play but I'm sure he's getting used to his line mates.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Trouba was most physical D.
Barely noticed Reilly.
Other than MacKinnon, no forward was exceptional.
M. Murray was great.

It was a team effort, which is why I picked them to make final.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I disagree...he might not have been as razzle dazzle as a few others, but, he did have some flash at points, but other times his hockey IQ was impressive...some of his chips and passes and his awareness of his linemates is sublime.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Yea I had to laugh a little to that 2-way thing. Good for him to get a point though.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
N/A could potentially be the story of the tourney if they keep the pedal down and Matt Murray can continue to shine. Very dangerous team.

I don't like their chances against Canada. Most of that team has played together in multiple tournaments, they've got Babcock coaching, and elite defense and goaltending. NA might be the 2nd best team in the tournament, but the only way I see them beating Canada is if the vets on Canada treat it like the gimmicky tournament it is and not the Olympics.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Before McDavid? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Disagree.

Babcock isnt playing McDavid as a winger, and hes not playing center.

Mackinnon has a lot of experience on the wing, and has the speed that Canada could value. Also, Mackinnon is more of a shooter, while Canada already has guys who have similar playmaking skills as McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad