Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
His skating sticks out to me. The guy doesn't have to take a stride and still accelerates while turning without a single crossover. Its pretty amazing to watch.

Can't really grasp the physics of that (not that I can grasp the physics of anything): how does he accelerate so significantly while gliding. He's the only guy I've ever seen who can do that. I realize if you're upright and you kneed-bend into a hockey-ready position you'll get some acceleration, but he seems to accelerate even when he's already in that flex position.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Paul Coffey and Sergei Fedorov had exact same skating style. Efortless aceleration while gliding/turning etc

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Can't really grasp the physics of that (not that I can grasp the physics of anything): how does he accelerate so significantly while gliding. He's the only guy I've ever seen who can do that. I realize if you're upright and you kneed-bend into a hockey-ready position you'll get some acceleration, but he seems to accelerate even when he's already in that flex position.

Paul Coffey and Sergei Fedorov had exact same skating style. Efortless aceleration while gliding/turning etc

Laughlin talks about this with Kuzy all the time. You can tell he's in awe of it. It's thrilling to watch Kuzy skate.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I feel dirty saying this: Kuzy is my favorite Capitals player.

He's just so damn exciting, he just needs to shoot more FFS.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Kuz played like a beast tonight IMO. The guy swoops around people on the ice and has hands to match. It is beautiful to watch.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
remember when he was not worth 6M over 3 years?

I member...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hope his recent turnaround is an eye opener for Barry, for how he has to win games with this roster... currently now being led by Kuzy. The team had a monster month, and it wasn't Ovi, nor Nick, nor Holts getting the accolades.

It's quite a relief, after almost no offensive production from the Blizzard through Thanksgiving. I think its safe to say Barry uses little breaks in the season to rethink things.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

It really is deceiving to the eyes and it always catches the dmen off guard. He doesn't even need to do the Kelly Miller "change of pace" to just walk around them (and Kelly Miller was one hell of an elite skater)

Coffey comparison is excellent

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope his recent turnaround is an eye opener for Barry, for how he has to win games with this roster... currently now being led by Kuzy. The team had a monster month, and it wasn't Ovi, nor Nick, nor Holts getting the accolades.

Backstrom also had a monster month. Pretty sure both Nicky and Holts picked up 3 Stars of the Week accolades during January.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Backstrom also had a monster month. Pretty sure both Nicky and Holts picked up 3 Stars of the Week accolades during January.

True, but pretty much everyone had a monster month.

Heck even Connolly shows flashes of being a possession beast all star.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
True, but pretty much everyone had a monster month.

Heck even Connolly shows flashes of being a possession beast all star.
Top-5 in scoring since 23rd of December (4-0 vs Tampa, when 'switch' was flipped):

Rank|Player|GP|G|A|P

1|Brad Marchand|19|14|12|26
2|Alexander Ovechkin|20|11|13|24
3|Evgeny Kuznetsov|20|8|16|24
4|Nicklas Backstrom|20|5|19|24
5|Brent Burns|18|8|15|23

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
In top-100 NHL players bit about Coffey he himself said he has a god given talent to skate. It's not something he got from hard work etc :P

My power skating instructor in the early 90s would always refer to either Kelly Miller or Paul Coffey as the best skaters she'd ever seen for different reasons. But Coffey's long strides were perfect and what skaters should aim for.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My power skating instructor in the early 90s would always refer to either Kelly Miller or Paul Coffey as the best skaters she'd ever seen for different reasons. But Coffey's long strides were perfect and what skaters should aim for.

No love for Gartner huh? His skating was also impossibly effortless, better than Miller IMO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Top-5 in scoring since 23rd of December (4-0 vs Tampa, when 'switch' was flipped):

Rank|Player|GP|G|A|P

1|Brad Marchand|19|14|12|26
2|Alexander Ovechkin|20|11|13|24
3|Evgeny Kuznetsov|20|8|16|24
4|Nicklas Backstrom|20|5|19|24
5|Brent Burns|18|8|15|23

Marchand is a real thorn in our sides! Was he subtly slew footing last night? I think SimplySen posted a screen shot and that someone alluded to other slews, but missed a lot of the game myself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad