Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It's about time he got his own thread.

We've done it folks. We've finally found the elusive second center.

The kid is a stud. He'll be a top-15 center very soon.

His growth over the last few months has been remarkable. I can't recall ever seeing anything like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Star. A friggin' star in the making. He is going to be one of the best Caps player in history.

He is a mix of Federov, Nylander and Dyatsuck.

He is ridiculously talented.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I called it in trade deadline thread. He steps up in big occasions, world juniors, khl playoffs and now NHL playoffs baby!

Bonzai

Nov 21, 2008
I've never been as sure that a player will be an all-star like I am with Kuznetsov. He was playing some really heavy guys and demonstrated unbelievable composure and control of the puck. I don't think we've had a player that is capable of playing that sort of game behind the net since Fedorov.

Give him some wingers that can finish and we'll be set for quite some time.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
No disrespect to Burakovsky -- I fully expect him to be a great player for us for a long time -- but this is why I voted Kuznetsov in that Kuzy vs Bura poll we had here when Bura was red hot and Kuzy ice cold. Kuznetsov is special.

The guy has already taken over a handful of games this year as a rookie, including a couple in the playoffs.

If he ever gets nearly as strong as Backstrom on the puck, he will be LETHAL.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Ovi/Backstrom and then Burro/Kuzy could be a very, very scary 1-2 line punch here very soon. I'm pumped on both of them.

Kuzy is having his breakout party right now... I have a feeling Burro once he's playing every day next year will be the guy to break out and be awesome next year. Both are fantastic and have also become pretty good defensively, which I also love. The offense/skill is obviously there and is at an above avg level NOW, but what rules even more is that those guys don't stink at defense or make a lot of mistakes like a lot of young players do.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Bura is what, 3 years younger than Kuz?

He wasn't a liability tonight. He'll be a top 6 forward within 2 years.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ever since his miracle game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlXiwCSuWgI) I had 99% confidence that Kuz was gonna be a big-game player if/when he adapts, but his adjustment to the NHL game was anybody's guess.

I was very happy that he was getting ice-time and stayed healthy early in the season, although when he was playing 4C with grinders the development prospects looked pretty uncertain.

But when Bura got shelved and Kuz earned Trotz's trust, I started to think that Datsyuk-lite was a matter of time, muscle, and experience. He just started doing the right things in all 3 zones, not mistake-free, but you could see the complete game emerging.

This Malkin-type stuff is pretty new, though :) I did not expect him to be physically ready (or even capable) to do this kind of thing... in playoffs.. already!

Don't know if he can reach superstar-like scoring levels in the NHL, teams will try to adjust and there are bound to be some slumps -- but very happy for him.

To have a great 1-2 punch down the middle is huge, amazingly the core of the team looks completely set now -- it should be so much more doable to figure out the wingers..

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
What a goal by Kuznetsov - he just went 'Ah, screw this I'm just going to score right now' and that's exactly what he did. Very, very nice goal to win the series. I wish him and the Caps continued success in these playoffs.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Bura is what, 3 years younger than Kuz?

He wasn't a liability tonight. He'll be a top 6 forward within 2 years.

No doubt about it.

Future is actually looking good for the Caps. We have some ridiculously talented forwards.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
He was a difference maker this series, no doubt, but can he continue this level of performance next round? Thats the million dollar question.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I voted for Burt on the Burt vs Kuzy polls ... i admit it

I think Burt will hit 20 goals next season easily and be a top 6 winger for many many years

I doubted Kuzy for quite some time, and it certainly wasn't yesterday alone that changed my mind on him ... but this thread is correct ... he is gonna be the stud C we have needed for years

To my way of thinking, now we just have to surround them with talent to win a cup before both cost too much

Burt and Kuzy are gonna tear up the regular season as early as next year

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Knew he was skilled, but I've been shocked at how much stronger he is on the puck - it's made the biggest difference in the last 1/2 the year - almost looks like a whole different player....I'm loving it!

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
my wife didn't even watch the game...but after the GW Goal she yelled from upstairs that she needed to take a pregnancy test.

Positive.

Kuzy's the father.

Not even mad.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Kuz is a competitor and I think a good influence in the locker room. You hear it in his interviews -- he is all about the team and just wants to win the Cup. He is a winner.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
He was a difference maker this series, no doubt, but can he continue this level of performance next round? Thats the million dollar question.

Yeah, he can. A star was born last night, but you can see the quick progression starting around the last 20 games of the season to where we are now. He's more confident and he's trying more things in terms of both passing and scoring, and they are working often.

He's not going to singlehandedly beat the Rangers or anything. But I'm sure he'll score at some point during the series.

And I feel very sure that he will score at least 25 goals next season assuming no major injury. And I think the season after that is when he will really take off.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
He did not have the points to show for it, but he was dominant in every single game.
As far as Kiznetsov vs Burakovsky, two very different players. Actually, Burakovsky needs to play with Kuznetsov or Ovechkin next year. No excuses. He produces when given the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->