Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I remember all the speculation about Kuznetsov before he made the decision to come over, and how many outlets said there might be issues between him and Ovechkin, sharing the spotlight and all that.

At the draft that year, I was very much in favor of drafting him because of Ovechkin -- both being extremely dedicated family guys that lost an older brother at a young age, thrust into the spotlight very early, etc. They have very rare, meaningful things in common, and when you're hoping to build a team that has that kind of connectivity and kinship, things like that matter a great deal.

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Might have been answered, but any reason Kuzy isn't on PP1? Seems to me like he should be the guy to run it let alone be on the 2nd unit. Also still can't believe Detroit took Sheahan instead of this beast

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Might have been answered, but any reason Kuzy isn't on PP1? Seems to me like he should be the guy to run it let alone be on the 2nd unit. Also still can't believe Detroit took Sheahan instead of this beast

Kuznetsov is not as good as Backstrom on the half-wall in the 1-3-1 and he's not as good on the boards or in front of the net as Johansson is. Those are the only two spots he could realistically take on the Capitals' PP setup due to his handedness and he's simply not better than the other options IMO. He's a very good option on PP2 and it makes that unit dangerous as well.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Also, putting Kuznetsov in Johansson's spot on PP1 is at best a minimal upgrade, while putting Johansson or Burakovsky in Kuznetsov's spot on PP2 is probably a significant downgrade.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Kuznetsov is not as good as Backstrom on the half-wall in the 1-3-1 and he's not as good on the boards or in front of the net as Johansson is. Those are the only two spots he could realistically take on the Capitals' PP setup due to his handedness and he's simply not better than the other options IMO. He's a very good option on PP2 and it makes that unit dangerous as well.

Okay that makes sense, I just felt he'd be a lot better down low instead of Johansson. Didn't realize Johansson is net front, thought he was more the down low guy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

wow. this is what ive been saying all along. if you believe this, then the caps might actually win tonight.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Okay that makes sense, I just felt he'd be a lot better down low instead of Johansson. Didn't realize Johansson is net front, thought he was more the down low guy

Johansson is the down low guy. When he gets the puck he can pass to Oshie in the bumper spot or back to Backstrom. If Backstrom moves the puck to the point, Johansson skates to the front of the net. So, he does both

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

He's both. Where the puck is in the formation dictates where Johansson is playing. When the puck is at the top of the circles, Johansson moves in to screen the goaltender. When Backstrom is handling the puck along the half wall, Johansson moves out wide to be the down low pass option.

Also, it's rare that the low guy has to make a really creative pass or beat someone one-on-one (where Kuzy would excel relative to Johansson). Most of the down low plays are about quick, one-touch passes to open players (namely Oshie/Williams), driving the puck to the net, or rotating with the half wall.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Hey guys CBJ fan wanting to congratulate you on a great season I was pulling for you. Just wondering what you guys think his next contract is going to be he is a RFA this year if I'm not mistaken.

Jun 15, 2007
Safe to say Kuzy qualifies as a franchise centre now. That contract is looking like a steal.

Wish he'd improve his faceoffs though. I feel he's actually regressing in that aspect.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Safe to say Kuzy qualifies as a franchise centre now. That contract is looking like a steal.

Wish he'd improve his faceoffs though. I feel he's actually regressing in that aspect.

Especially when you consider what Draistl and Ryan Johansen just got.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I think he has finally become the Caps answer to the Pens version of Malkin in the playoffs. Many blamed OV in playoff losses but the real reason was that they never had anyone elevate their game to OV's level consistently.

Until this season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuz is f***ing awesome. Not only is he fast and skilled, he is shifty as hell, our most dynamic player, and a total character to boot.

Handing a puck to a ref with his mouth. Calling Stormy that little mother f***er. The flightless Bird which of course was a jab at our flightless friend the Penguin. I mean for his daughter. She may hate the pens more than we do.

Loving Kuz is not a jab at Nick. But the big deal this year was separating Ovi and Nick.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
People laughed at me when I said Kuzy was easily better than Johansen. Where are they now? lol.

RJ is one of the most overrated players IMO, however he does produce in the postseason...he’s living off of one 33 goal season 5 seasons ago and they think he’ll regain that form.....if he does it will be fleeting IMO. For $8 mil, I want more than 14/15 goals and 50-60 pts.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kuzy scored some clutch goals in his playoffs career starting from G7 against Islanders.
Now he reached the level of play very little players are playing on.

Also he has some buddies (like Panarin and Tarasenko, maybe even Kucherov) he can convince to sign with Caps 4-5 years down the road to compensate for Ovi's age :P

And I have to remind you "Kuz is made for Ovi because of his footspeed" was my stance on him for a couple of years at least.

PS: Honestly, hard to tell if he would be so good without space Ovi and Wilson provide him. And who cares anyway.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuz doesn't take any crap from anyone. Kuz + drinking = Vrana. You can see flashes there.

Shurik

Jun 5, 2018
Toronto
Kuzy was the start of the team's depth build which we now see after years of building. We need to lock him down ASAP - he'll be key in transitioning the team from the Ovi era in 10 or so years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad