Player Discussion Evgeny Kuznetsov

Will Evgeny Kuznetsov be a member of the Capitals next season?

• Total voters

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If he is injured I don't think he should be going to the WC. I mean, we had 2 brutal series last year, 2 brutal series this year, it was his 1st NHL season getting big minutes, he's going to the world cup in September and I anticipate him busting his butt in the offseason to move into an even bigger role next season. I hope he doesn't run out of gas.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kuzy being a bit less successful than we expect (talking next season) could be good enough to keep his salary way lower than 7M.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He was pretty much the difference between the regular season Caps and the postseason Caps.

I bet this drives him to train like a madman over the summer.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I'm really puzzled that is there so much sudden vitriol towards Trotz and almost none towards Kuznetsov. This should've been the other way around IMO.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm really puzzled that is there so much sudden vitriol towards Trotz and almost none towards Kuznetsov. This should've been the other way around IMO.

Kuznetsov obviously ran out of gas and didn't play as well as he should have. I don't think there's any question about that, hence the lack of debate. He's also young, cheap, and has shown the ability to up his game in the playoffs (last year).

Trotz has 9 seasons of evidence that he can't get it done in the playoffs.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuznetsov was dragging Bura 1 pt and Williams for much of the playoffs. Williams heated up when we were basically toast.

Trotz swapped out MJ for a game or 2, and did nothing before being down 3 - 1.

Lines go stale, and the writing was on the wall long before the playoffs started. Trotz was very late to act.

Let's see how Kuz does without Trotz's old school grind down their D mandate and reassess in a few days here.

Dobe*

Countering the Pens losing Letang by putting in Weber over Schmidt will do that to you. Trotz's coaching was postseason Boudreau bad.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It's a pretty common theme that fans scapegoat the coach and give their favorite players a pass. People are digging deep trying to find a reason to let the players off the hook. It's called being a fan. What can you do?

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I was talking about emotions, not arguments. For all gaffs by Trotz I'm not disappointed in him even nearly the same way as I do with Kuznetsov.

Trotz is at least somewhat replaceable.

It took Caps decade to find long term solution for top-6 centers.

It's a pretty common theme that fans scapegoat the coach and give their favorite players a pass. People are digging deep trying to find a reason to let the players off the hook. It's called being a fan. What can you do?

If you love those players it is all the more reason to hold them to higher standard. I do not understand it otherwise.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kuznetsov obviously ran out of gas and didn't play as well as he should have. I don't think there's any question about that, hence the lack of debate. He's also young, cheap, and has shown the ability to up his game in the playoffs (last year).

Trotz has 9 seasons of evidence that he can't get it done in the playoffs.

Silly comment IMO. I wonder if people said the same thing about Quenville (12) or Arbor (9). The list of greats that took a while to win goes on and on.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Did Arbor and Quennville start their long runs to greatness, with a lot of experience, AND a team as stacked as Barry did coming here?

Barry seems like he has had a while to strut his stuff. He needs a while longer, apparently.

What is the rule on what is long enough, when its not uncommon for new coaches to do better than established long tenured ones?

Yes, I am still wondering why it took so long to try a coach not named Murray here.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sorry but I didn't see the team Trotz took over as stacked. They are a much better team now than they were and IMO he deserves a decent amount of credit for that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You think we were average talent?

I think you are selling Ovi Nick Holts Troy ;) Ward Kuz MJ Green Nisky Alzner Carlson, among a few others, short.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Silly comment IMO. I wonder if people said the same thing about Quenville (12) or Arbor (9). The list of greats that took a while to win goes on and on.
It really doesn't, though, and unlike everyone else Trotz has both been around longer and still never even reached a Conference Final.

Based on the way he seems to think the game, I would tend to put him closer to a Jacques Martin or Jacques Lemaire than a truly progressive and balanced winner. Nothing about losing vs. PIT was surprising.

This Caps team isn't stacked but they also don't display good team fundamentals offensively in any sense outside of their fairly rigid PP. When secondary scoring almost completely falls off the map it's never on any one particular player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It really doesn't, though, and unlike everyone else Trotz has both been around longer and still never even reached a Conference Final.

Based on the way he seems to think the game, I would tend to put him closer to a Jacques Martin or Jacques Lemaire than a truly progressive and balanced winner. Nothing about losing vs. PIT was surprising.

This Caps team isn't stacked but they also don't display good team fundamentals offensively in any sense outside of their fairly rigid PP. When secondary scoring almost completely falls off the map it's never on any one particular player.

How about Keenan (8), Sather (7), Burns (14)? The list does go on. And the point someone else put out there was winning a Cup (after 9 years) which I've debunked easily, not making a Conf Final or any other round.

If you think Trotz will never get it done, why watch at all? I'm not sold that he will, because we're the Caps, but I'm not ready to say never. He going to be here a while, better get used to it (unless they miss the playoffs).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You think we were average talent?

I think you are selling Ovi Nick Holts Troy ;) Ward Kuz MJ Green Nisky Alzner Carlson, among a few others, short.

It's an absurd notion. Poll any number of NHL execs and I feel like 100% would say they're a very talented team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did Arbor and Quennville start their long runs to greatness, with a lot of experience, AND a team as stacked as Barry did coming here?

Barry seems like he has had a while to strut his stuff. He needs a while longer, apparently.

What is the rule on what is long enough, when its not uncommon for new coaches to do better than established long tenured ones?

Yes, I am still wondering why it took so long to try a coach not named Murray here.

Apparently we have little talent. :cry:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you love those players it is all the more reason to hold them to higher standard. I do not understand it otherwise.

That's just not how the human psyche works. Have you managed people? Who are you more likely to give the benefit of the doubt to, the employee you like, or the ones you don't?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Caps had to win G4. They didn't. I think it's both on Trotz and on players. That was really the deciding game. We had everything in our hands and failed.

Then Trotz tried to adjust. Too late.

Both Trotz and Kuzy should be blamed. But the question is what to do now after you've done blaming session.

Kuzy is young and will learn. With Trotz we're a bit messed.

Some young prospects will be dealt to offset Trotz's inability I guess. Just to give him better roster. Being in ALL IN year it's a bit risky to change Trotz in the summer.

Ted got his revenue out of 2 series. Business side was covered good enough. I doubt Ted is thinking Trotz should be canned.

Actually, our D was thin for the big part of the series (no Orpik, half of Alzner or less, Schmidt and Orlov being worse than the brass expected maybe). That's on GMBM too.

capsfan59

May 10, 2009
Kuznetsov disappointed me big time in the playoffs (and I bashed him), but I am going to think rationally now. If you look at advanced stats, Kuznetsov was great in the playoffs. Due to bad luck, he was unable to score more points(whether assists or goals). What disappointed me was the production. He was actually playing well, but ultimately, if you don't score goals, you are not winning.
Part of it is also exhaustion IMO. I expect him to play much better next year.
Burakovsky had Corsi close to 60%--another guy who was unproductive, but played well in the playoffs.
We need to perhaps try to develop a chemistry between these two players. Now, Burakovsky did not score much, but to my eyes, he looked good.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuznetsov disappointed me big time in the playoffs (and I bashed him), but I am going to think rationally now. If you look at advanced stats, Kuznetsov was great in the playoffs. Due to bad luck, he was unable to score more points(whether assists or goals). What disappointed me was the production. He was actually playing well, but ultimately, if you don't score goals, you are not winning.
Part of it is also exhaustion IMO. I expect him to play much better next year.
Burakovsky had Corsi close to 60%--another guy who was unproductive, but played well in the playoffs.
We need to perhaps try to develop a chemistry between these two players. Now, Burakovsky did not score much, but to my eyes, he looked good.

They both look like teenagers, especially when they stand next to 8 or 19 who are built like men. Kuznetsov needs to work on his leg strength. He skates extremely well, if he could have just half the leg strength of a Crosby or Backstrom, he'd be impossible to take down.

Bura has pretty good leg strength, but he has a big frame he needs to fill. He's a bit too skinny, he'd benefit from more mass in the upper body. Backstrom became a lot better defensively and along the board when he gained 20-25 lbs of muscle.

MEfreak

Nov 29, 2015
I'm soooooo tired of the bad luck argument. Winners overcome bad luck.

So true. Everyone wants to make excuses or downplay the culpability. Kuz basically threw up on the ice for the last 2 months. A leading scoring 2nd line "star" center. His skillset and experience...yeah, no free passes on this one. Bad showing. Not a loser, but not a winner during the end run of this season.

Trotz and his lack of adjustments to compensate for the disappearance of the depth lines...a bit tough for me to swallow. Hes either slow to understand, entrenched, or incapable...or made a mistake. Please learn from this, Barry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad