Prospect Info: Everything Swedish Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Great write-up from everyone´s favourite Twitter person "IcehockeyGifs" on our prospects in Sweden.

Definitely worth a read.

A very good read with a lot truths, i do think he's a bit harsh on veleno especially his intangibles when i think Joe's willingness to play over in sweden shows a lot to me imo. He always seems well liked and willing to do the job the coach asks of him id give him a 4.

other little nitpicks, Berggren's skating is electric to me both in speed and agility i'd have it at a 4.25.

Johansson's shot is an absolute weapon id give it a 4.

Soderblum's skating definately needs work but overall isnt that bad. More than anything he needs better balance and strength so he doesnt tumble over so much I'd give a 2.5.

Last edited:

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
A very good read with a lot truths, i do think he's a bit harsh on veleno especially his intangibles when i think his willingness to play over in sweden shows a lot to me imo. He always seems well liked and willing to do the job the coach asks of him id give him a 4.

other little nitpicks, Berggren's skating is electric to me both in speed and agility i'd have it at a 4.25.

Soderblum's skating definately needs work but overall isnt that bad. More than anything he needs better balance and strength so he doesnt tumble over so much I'd give a 2.5.

Absolutely agree on Veleno, Berggren and Johansson

Reactions: wingerdinger

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
A very good read with a lot truths, i do think he's a bit harsh on veleno especially his intangibles when i think his willingness to play over in sweden shows a lot to me imo. He always seems well liked and willing to do the job the coach asks of him id give him a 4.

Same. I'd even give Mo a 4/5 in skill instead of the 3.5/5 he graded him at. He's not stickhandling like Berggren but the guy's hand-eye coordination allows him to make really difficult plays look so simple. Mo also does a great job skating the puck through the neutral zone, weaving through traffic like a guy 5 inches shorter.

Veleno has definitely become much better defensively in Malmo's system. I'd say he's better than Berggren in that area but not as good as Raymond. 3/5 for me. Always a hard worker and always seems to have the right attitude. At least a 3/5 for intangibles.

Soderblom's shot is a totally underrated part of his game, IMO. I think most of his analysis is spot on but what I saw of Soderblom last season in highlights and what I've seen at the WJC and in Frolunda is that he's got a wrister that will find the net from 45 feet in anywere in the zone. Very heavy, good release. 3.5/5, and I think with more icetime in Frolunda he'll prove that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Berggren has proven all he can prove in the SHL. Detroit has a number of open spots next year and is bereft of talent. The kid should absolutely start the season in Detroit, and if he clearly can't handle it THEN maybe a trip to Grand Rapids or a loan back to Sweden.

WTF does Berggren have to do for some Detroit fans to think he belongs in the league? Win multiple SHL MVP after a string of top 5 scoring seasons and make the jump at the age of 25?

I think Berggren belongs in NA for sure next year but I'm not ready to say he has to start in Detroit. A lot of people seem to be overstating what he has done. Hes missed a bunch of development time and had literally only good season since his draft. Does that mean he cant make Detroit next year? No obviously not. But lets let him come play one game on north american ice at the very least before we decide he absolutely has to make Detroit right away

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Berggren belongs in NA for sure next year but I'm not ready to say he has to start in Detroit. A lot of people seem to be overstating what he has done. Hes missed a bunch of development time and had literally only good season since his draft. Does that mean he cant make Detroit next year? No obviously not. But lets let him come play one game on north american ice at the very least before we decide he absolutely has to make Detroit right away
Can't be worse than Brome, right?

My concern is his strength, that's about the only reason why I'd think he should start in GR.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Can't be worse than Brome, right?

My concern is his strength, that's about the only reason why I'd think he should start in GR.

I would almost guarantee he wont be worse than Brome lol.

But allowing him to go to the AHL and say hey, we dont care if you score, we just want you down here so you can pack on some muscle in the gym and get used to NA ice for a half a season... it could help him a lot in the future. Give him his call ups and get him into some games but dont necessarily have to pencil him into the top 6 asap like some want to.

All that is being said theoretically though. He could add weight in the summer and have no problem with NA ice, then just come and light up training camp. I would say sure toss him into the lineup. But hes not some guaranteed, must be in the NHL type prospect. Hes had one good season post draft

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But hes not some guaranteed, must be in the NHL type prospect. Hes had one good season post draft
Why are we the only team in the league that only plays those kind of prospects in the NHL..

Höglander was only okay in SHL - stepped right into Vancouver
Björnfot was only okay in SHL - stepped right into LA.

Berggren's season has been great. He fits a need on our roster. It would be a real shame to just postpone this rebuild indefinitely by requiring every kid to have multiple dominant years at lower levels before we bring them in.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
A very good read with a lot truths, i do think he's a bit harsh on veleno especially his intangibles when i think Joe's willingness to play over in sweden shows a lot to me imo. He always seems well liked and willing to do the job the coach asks of him id give him a 4.

His critique of Veleno's intangibles have nothing to with intangibles. So that's silly.

I think he is too harsh on Raymond

This too. I've watched a lot of Raymond this season, his evaluation is pretty far off in my opinion, frankly.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
"Physicality: 2/5 - Joe doesn't engage much physically and doesn't show the best ability to go into the tough areas. He doesn't look weak on the ice, but he sometimes seems disengaged rather than finishing checks and crashing the net."

Ehm what? He does play the body quite often here in SHL. I seen almost all his games.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
"Physicality: 2/5 - Joe doesn't engage much physically and doesn't show the best ability to go into the tough areas. He doesn't look weak on the ice, but he sometimes seems disengaged rather than finishing checks and crashing the net."

Ehm what? He does play the body quite often here in SHL. I seen almost all his games.
joe's very willing to battle it out in the corners.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
If we get lucky with next years lottery, we could be pretty nasty in 2 years

Raymond - Wright - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Berrgren - Veleno - Svechnikov
Smith - Rasmussen - Erne

Power/Hughes - Seider
DDK/? - Hronek
Merill/? - Stecher

FA
Bernier

This team would be a playoff team and a solid one imo

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Joe’s injured. Missing his 2nd game in a row now. Don’t think it’s serious though.

Albert Johansson’s team fired their coaches, weird timing with playoffs days away. Kind of a panic move I guess.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why are we the only team in the league that only plays those kind of prospects in the NHL..

Berggren's season has been great. He fits a need on our roster. It would be a real shame to just postpone this rebuild indefinitely by requiring every kid to have multiple dominant years at lower levels before we bring them in.

Ok so he comes over. Looks weak and overmatched in training camp/preseason, we dont even consdier letting him adjust to the NA rink in grand rapids for twenty games? Hes just automatically pencilled in when hes already missed a tonne of training time the past couple years?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Right, this is what I'm saying.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Joe’s injured. Missing his 2nd game in a row now. Don’t think it’s serious though.
I read something about him getting sick just before their last game, not 100% sure though.

Looks like Setkov is back in Malmö, so season not over yet after all.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
If we get lucky with next years lottery, we could be pretty nasty in 2 years

Raymond - Wright - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Berrgren - Veleno - Svechnikov
Smith - Rasmussen - Erne

Power/Hughes - Seider
DDK/? - Hronek
Merill/? - Stecher

FA