Proposal: Everyone on the Jets must go

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think us as super fans are seeing and hearing things that have gone on for far too long now. If we miss the playoffs they have to do something. When your coach tells a reporter that your top players are "unmotivated" then something has to happen
That’s not good if the core has lost interest. Hopefully the team can make the smart decision.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
If Winnipeg blows up their team should Cheveldayoff be replaced as GM or do they keep him to orchestrate a rebuild?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What from Colorado gets Scheifele at 50% retained?

2024 1st + Newhook for Scheifele and our 2026 2nd for the 50% retention?
Not very appealing IMO. Depending on how late the pick is, it would have to be the 2023 1st for starters. Newhook is just ok. The 2026 pic for retention is too far away.

Scheifele sits in the top 30 point getters over the last several seasons. Jets need an impact pick / prospect coming back.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I highly doubt the Jets do any scorched earth rebuild and sell everyone off (this summer), to be clear OP isn't suggesting that. The pieces in the OP are just the expiring contracts of vets, I doubt all would be traded. Trade the high value ones, keep a couple vets with lower value for leadership (they can be traded at TDL the year their contract expires if desired). Highly doubt a Ehlers or KC would be traded (at this stage/summer), they still have some term.

PLD/Mark/Helle should all be traded assuming Mark & Helle don't want to resign this summer. PLD will be traded this summer. The return just from those three guys would speed up any restructure. Some of the other pieces in the OP can also be traded (this summer or next TDL) but the three big ones are Mark, Helle and PLD.

Just like other teams have done, tank for a 2-3 years and then develop all those young players into/towards a competitive team. Posters asking if the Jets "can or should" rebuild/restructure is a moot point, all teams have to rebuild/restructure at some point, rebuilds/restructures are like death & taxes, can't avoid them. Ownership knows this, attendance will suffer for 2-3 years, not unlike other teams rebuilding and ownership is ready for that.......to suggest ownership can't afford or hasn't planned for a rebuild (at some stage) is silly, of course they know its coming, its just a matter of when.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not very appealing IMO. Depending on how late the pick is, it would have to be the 2023 1st for starters. Newhook is just ok. The retention is too far away.

Scheifele sits in the top 30 point getters over the last several seasons. Jets need an impact pick / prospect coming back.
What do you mean the retention is too far away? You're retaining for 1 season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If only Hellebuyck wasn't just one year to UFA, I'm sure Buffalo would be very interested. I don't know if they would dive in on him with that sort of term left but it would be damned interesting.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Helle would be great with the Devils. He’s got a fitting name for that team. :naughty: Adding Helleybuyck to the Devils would sure make a trifecta of elite goalies in the NYR/NYI/ NJD region

Other potential landing spots could include Carolina, Buffalo or perhaps Detroit if Yzerman can sell him on the team being ready to compete.

Reactions: hn777 and Heldig

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Ticket prices are too high for me to comfortably commit to watching a team that performs like last seasons Jets. Maybe if we had a few young guys in the lineup with bright futures it wouldn't be so bad though.
Thats essentially how I feel as well. I would much rather watch a rebuilding team with players that try their best every night then a boring under-performing team that looks like it could care less.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If only Hellebuyck wasn't just one year to UFA, I'm sure Buffalo would be very interested. I don't know if they would dive in on him with that sort of term left but it would be damned interesting.

I would hope if he's not re-signing with the Jets they'd be looking to trade him once he's able to negotiate an extension as many more teams would be interested.

Reactions: hn777 and Chainshot

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
can a team like Winnipeg go through a full rebuild ? if so it would be the best decision imo
My brother was a season ticket holder for the Winnipeg Jets and he gave them up last season due to cost and what he believed was poor results/value for what the price was.

I don't believe the franchise would survive a full rebuild and the years it would take to do it. There aren't enough fans with fat wallets to support years of mediocre hockey.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Ok everyone on our board is pretty sure we need to blow this team up

What would you offer for

Scheifele 1 year left 6.250 cap hit
PLD 1 year RFA
Helly 1 year 6.166 cap hit
Dillon 1 year 3.9 cap hit
Demelo 1 year 3.3 cap hit
Wheeler 1 year 8.250 cap hit
Ehlers 2 years 6.675 cap hit
Pionk 2 years 5.875 cap hit
Schmidt 2 years 5.950 cap hit

Now I realize some of these guys have little or no value but I would be interested in offers for any of them.
Now hit us with your best Ryder+Halak+2nd offers
Wondering what picks or prospects you guys may have to work with as well? Free Agency and TDL appear to look like they will be very active with big names next year.

Of course on the other end of the stick you have Bedard and the draft.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think you move PLD or Scheifele in a hockey trade for a D and run it back one more year.
They’ve had a patchwork blueline for way too long and most their high-end prospects are forwards

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd love to see Ehlers with the Jackets.

Pieces on the table:

Kirill Marchenko
Denton Mateychuk
Yegor Chinakhov
Corson Ceulemans
Cole Sillinger
Jackets 2024 1st
Kings 2023 1st

If they don't draft top 3, they might prioritize trading for a center. And if they can't sign a top 4 LD, they'll need to trade for one. Dillon might be a backup plan. But Ehlers is in that high end category for me, the type you've got to make an offer for.

Reactions: hn777

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
With Jets fans wanting a rebuild, I thought I’d entertain the idea of a possible trade for both teams.

Canucks are retooling so they’re going to want 23-26 y/o’s. Not sure if they’d be willing to move Connor if the plan is to completely tear it down, but perhaps something like:

2024 unprotected 1st, 2025 unprotected 1st and 2nd, Hoglander, and Myers @ 6x1.

For Connor and Dubois.

Connor/Petey/Kuzmenko
Miller/Dubois/Mikheyev

Dubois is likely going to need to be traded along with a package due to the fact there’s concerns over him going to Montreal. Teams won’t want to trade for him as a sole piece.

2 1sts and a 2nd, and a potential impact player in Hoglander. Myers for cap reasons though after his bonus is paid out he’s only got 1 year left so he’ll have some value.

Connor + Dubois would be the only times I’d be willing to trade multiple 1sts for. Perhaps Canucks add more or subtract, help me out Jets fans, what would be the ideal price for Connor?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
With Jets fans wanting a rebuild, I thought I’d entertain the idea of a possible trade for both teams.

Canucks are retooling so they’re going to want 23-26 y/o’s. Not sure if they’d be willing to move Connor if the plan is to completely tear it down, but perhaps something like:

2024 top 10 protected 1st, 2025 unprotected 1st and 2nd, Hoglander, and Myers @ 6x1.

For Connor and Dubois.

Connor/Petey/Kuzmenko
Miller/Dubois/Mikheyev

Dubois is likely going to need to be traded along with a package due to the fact there’s concerns over him going to Montreal. Teams won’t want to trade for him as a sole piece.

2 1sts and a 2nd, and a potential impact player in Hoglander. Myers for cap reasons though after his bonus is paid out he’s only got 1 year left so he’ll have some value.

Connor + Dubois would be the only times I’d be willing to trade multiple 1sts for. Perhaps Canucks add more or subtract, help me out Jets fans, what would be the ideal price for Connor?
What happens to that 24 first if it's top 10? This deal looks pretty awful for the Jets.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Connor on that salary for years to come is worth a boatload more than that. You can easily get a team to give up a legit A tier top prospect plus a few picks for Connor.
That’s the thing, there’s probably teams who have a lot more better offers to give.

The thing is, those teams who do have multiple picks and top tier prospects are unlikely to move them for a 26 year old forward even at that cap due to Connor not fitting in with their timeline. It’ll create a cap issue if those top tier players need raises after their ELC’s who they will prioritize first and foremost.

A team like Vancouver who don’t have top tier prospects but are willing to give up 1st rounders for win now players might not be as bad of a suitor as you might think. Vancouver is desperate, and with the Hronek trade, it would be absolutely foolish to not go all in for the retool after giving up a 1st and a 2nd.

If there’s a team out there however that should take a long hard look for Connor, it should be Carolina or Minnesota.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Canucks add a lot. If a comparable bubble team first and 2nd can get a hronek, adding another first and hoglander doesn't get you Connor and Dubois and allow you to dump myers.

Reactions: GreenLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad