Not open for further replies.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Try it and see.

6814-15_8.jpg

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
When did getting a kitten for your kid become more involved than adopting a child? There used to be kids with a cardboard box full of kittens "free to a good home" in front of the market on weekends. Now I'm on a "waiting list" for a cat that isn't even available yet. Some places want you to have a vet's referral and want to come inspect your ****ing house. Aren't cats still food in some places?

Sorry, purging the vault before the game tonight. It's been a long day.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
When did getting a kitten for your kid become more involved than adopting a child? There used to be kids with a cardboard box full of kittens "free to a good home" in front of the market on weekends. Now I'm on a "waiting list" for a cat that isn't even available yet. Some places want you to have a vet's referral and want to come inspect your ****ing house. Aren't cats still food in some places?

Some places want to make sure the people who adopt the cat/dog know what they're in for and are making the right decision so they make it a long process to get people to REALLY think about it instead of getting an animal on a whim. Too many people decide a month later they don't actually want the animal, it doesn't suit their lifestyle, discover their kid is allergic or many other excuses and end up returning the animal, dumping it in a shelter or worse just dumping it on the side of the road. The constant rehoming and dumping of an animal can take a toll on them and results in behavioral problems and makes it even more difficult for it to be a suitable pet.

I agree places go overboard (one group wouldn't adopt a dog out to a veterinarian because they said the doctor would just bring home diseases to the adopted dog lol) while others don't do enough (I know of a friend of someone who lives on a farm and their family is constantly adopting dogs because the dogs keep getting hit by cars, as much as 2 dogs a year for going on 4 years - at some point they need to be cut off because they obviously aren't doing enough to prevent their dogs from being in danger). There's a happy middle ground between those extremes.

I hope you get your kitty though :)

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017

Is that because you are trying to get a specific breed or is there just a cat shortage in SoCal right now?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Is that because you are trying to get a specific breed or is there just a cat shortage in SoCal right now?
No specific breed, not sure about a shortage but it sure feels that way. I was told it wasn't "kitten season", whatever that is. :huh:

Reactions: Peaves

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Are you going to a shelter or a breeder? I went to the local humane society to adopt my kitten and left with him in probably less than 30 minutes. This was also in Washington so maybe they have different standards there.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Are you going to a shelter or a breeder? I went to the local humane society to adopt my kitten and left with him in probably less than 30 minutes. This was also in Washington so maybe they have different standards there.

That makes me want to flip tables. We went to SIX different shelters and another independent rescue. It was so weird, and deflating. None of the kittens we saw would have been able to leave the same day like that.

I dunno, maybe we just picked a bad week and got unlucky.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Some places want to make sure the people who adopt the cat/dog know what they're in for and are making the right decision so they make it a long process to get people to REALLY think about it instead of getting an animal on a whim. Too many people decide a month later they don't actually want the animal, it doesn't suit their lifestyle, discover their kid is allergic or many other excuses and end up returning the animal, dumping it in a shelter or worse just dumping it on the side of the road. The constant rehoming and dumping of an animal can take a toll on them and results in behavioral problems and makes it even more difficult for it to be a suitable pet.

I agree places go overboard (one group wouldn't adopt a dog out to a veterinarian because they said the doctor would just bring home diseases to the adopted dog lol) while others don't do enough (I know of a friend of someone who lives on a farm and their family is constantly adopting dogs because the dogs keep getting hit by cars, as much as 2 dogs a year for going on 4 years - at some point they need to be cut off because they obviously aren't doing enough to prevent their dogs from being in danger). There's a happy middle ground between those extremes.

I hope you get your kitty though :)
My dad used to let our cats loose, wait until they were picked up by the local animal shelter and given whatever treatment he was too cheap to give them, then pick them up later and throw a $10 tip in the jar on the way out. This must be karma lol.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
My dad used to let our cats loose, wait until they were picked up by the local animal shelter and given whatever treatment he was too cheap to give them, then pick them up later and throw a $10 tip in the jar on the way out. This must be karma lol.

I'd hate to think karma would make you pay for your father's doings. I do hope you get the kitty you want but let me know if you're unsuccessful and I can contact some people back home to see if they have any leads. There's also petfinder.com which has various shelters and rescues that post animals there.

Reactions: Getzmonster

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Second straight day of freezing rain/ice pellets here, full on ice storm in the middle of April - and it's supposed to get worse today. Huge spike in traffic accidents, lot's of power outages and more expected - not good.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Second straight day of freezing rain/ice pellets here, full on ice storm in the middle of April - and it's supposed to get worse today. Huge spike in traffic accidents, lot's of power outages and more expected - not good.

At least my part of Ontario hasn't lost power because my house is really ill prepared, we couldn't even find matches or a lighter last night.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I noticed on the CBC telecast last night they made a big deal about it. I didn't quite understand since I thought cold weather and snow were pretty common there, even if the timing was a little late. No?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I noticed on the CBC telecast last night they made a big deal about it. I didn't quite understand since I thought cold weather and snow were pretty common there, even if the timing was a little late. No?

It's very late timing to have severe winter weather. But ice storms of this magnitude aren't that common to begin with and can have brutal consequences. We are used to heavy snowfall and occasional freezing rain but this is two straight days of ice.

There was a bad ice storm in 1998 that caused power outages lasting as long as a couple weeks.

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's very late timing to have severe winter weather. But ice storms of this magnitude aren't that common to begin with and can have brutal consequences. We are used to heavy snowfall and occasional freezing rain but this is two straight days of ice.

There was a bad ice storm in 1998 that caused power outages lasting as long as a couple weeks.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Finished binge-ing Counterpart last night (instead of watching the train wreck on ice that I knew it would be).

JK Simmons is great. If it was possible, he should get nominated for 2 emmys for the same show.
Only one season so far, but I really liked it. Unlike Fringe or Lost, it doesn't get bogged down in the "sci-fi-ness" of it's environment/world. Instead of getting bogged down in explaining how it all works, it uses it as a way to highlight the character motivations.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The longer I spend on Reddit, the more absolutely stupid arguments I drag myself into. Currently arguing with someone who thinks Vats is better than Manson (AHL scrub to him) because Vats has better highlights and wears a cooler number.

Not sure why I do this to myself lol

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The longer I spend on Reddit, the more absolutely stupid arguments I drag myself into. Currently arguing with someone who thinks Vats is better than Manson (AHL scrub to him) because Vats has better highlights and wears a cooler number.

Not sure why I do this to myself lol
You could always call him a racist for dissing Manson's number. :D

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm trying to relieve the pain of our embarrassing effort in these playoffs. Traveling in French Polynesia after two weeks in Japan for cherry blossom and with still two weeks of holiday to go HELPS A LOT, trust me! :D

Reactions: Mortal Wombat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad