OT: Everybody needs a little like in their life

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anyone here watch The 100? I heard a lot of good things about it and read that if you can just bear through the first few episodes it's all worth it, but I just can't get past the constant teenage drama. I feel like I'm watching a show for 13 year olds. I just keep on waiting for it to get a bit more serious. I don't give a rats a** about the love birds and their love relationships. I just finished the first season and I'm just mostly glad that it's over.

I agree that there is much less of the teen drama stuff after the first few episodes. It's a pretty neat concept, I think it's worth watching.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I agree that there is much less of the teen drama stuff after the first few episodes. It's a pretty neat concept, I think it's worth watching.
The drama did go down a notch, but it's still there (I just started the 2nd season). Like everything is going to **** around them, but there's always time for some cheesy love lines or kisses. While the fate of the whole group (and humanity) is at stake, characters seem to be more concentrated on their broken hearts and who slept with who. The characters and the show has been pretty predictable and cliche so far as well... But I still somewhat enjoy it. I'm just upset because it could be so much better.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The visa waiver program requires, among other things, that the alien not be inadmissible on certain national security grounds. Traveling to certain places would obviously attract CBP's hairy eyeball, which is usually not a good thing. I doubt CBP adjudicators are known for their lenience. You could still just get a tourist visa, requirements are lower.

Edit - CBP, not CPB.

Exactly, but with my past history of travels I'm not sure the interview with the officer at the US consulate would go that smoothly. Maybe I'm way off, but I prefer to wait some more and add some "normal" stamps to my resume :laugh:

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
You can get an i5 for cheap if you go a gen or two back. Unless you have a laptop, then you're stuck with it.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I think it's rare that the processor is the bottleneck. Upgrade the video card. I guess it depends on if it needs single thread power or multi-thread power, but normally it's video cards that help that.

When they mine bitcoin it's with more and more video cards.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Yeah, I already checked some i5 prices, but maybe I'll just settle for not working at home. I thought 2D CAD-work is more CPU intensive than GPU, but I might be wrong. My whole computer is a pretty budget anyway. thebottlenecker.com gave my CPU a 17% bottleneck.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I had to upgrade my i3 for photo processing software a few years back. Had to go straight to an i7. Video cards really aren't the bottleneck on photo software. Don't know about CAD, but isn't that more about serious math calculations?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
A lot depends on how the program is written, if it can offload tasks to the GPU. A quick search makes it sound like Adobe is not good at that. Because theoretically, almost all those kinds of tasks for CAD or photo processing would benefit from the massively parallel processing inherent in a GPU rather than the much narrower, but stronger processing of a CPU.

And yeah, I believe AMD is better for massively parallel type workloads. But again if Adobe or whoever hasn't coded to split the tasks to operate in that environment it might not do well.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
A lot depends on how the program is written, if it can offload tasks to the GPU. A quick search makes it sound like Adobe is not good at that. Because theoretically, almost all those kinds of tasks for CAD or photo processing would benefit from the massively parallel processing inherent in a GPU rather than the much narrower, but stronger processing of a CPU.

And yeah, I believe AMD is better for massively parallel type workloads. But again if Adobe or whoever hasn't coded to split the tasks to operate in that environment it might not do well.

I remember when first researching it I was surprised to find that Adobe was more CPU dependant than GPU defendant. I didn’t try to understand why but just made sure I bought the right hardware.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I'm not really sure about technicalities how AutoCAD works, but the googling I have done suggest to get at least an i5. However it could be that my GTX 970 is also bringing the performance down. I also run pretty bloated Excel spreadsheets, which sometimes make me wish for more RAM and CPU power as well.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
New 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs were released about a week ago. I'm running a 1st Gen Ryzen 5 1600 (6 cores, 12 threads). It's perfectly at home for work and play.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
You took all those pictures? They're amazing!!! Never mind the travel you did some of those images are stunning.

My favorite is the penguin though, it just looks 110% done with everyone's shit.

Reactions: Fighter

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Never a good idea to get 4 hours of sleep for a 12 hour shift but I just can't help myself.

I get at least 5 hours before I unload trucks at work. I have to get up at 3am, and work until noon (a normal 8 hour shift). I’ve tried getting 4 hours of sleep, and my mind isn’t completely mush, but my body just can’t handle it. My mind is telling my body to work at a speed I know it can, but it just won’t do it.

I used to do that at an old job I had, where I’d work for 11 or 12 hours a day. But I was 20-21 years old. Five hours is my limit now.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Is it bad that I don't like to see friends happy when their team wins? I like to pretend I cheer with them for the Bruins but deep down I wanna see them lose just like the Ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->