How About [Player Name]

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
How about Adin Hill...currently tending goal in game 5 of the Knights/Stars series.
How about the only other goalie I can think of who left PHX and went on to greater success elsewhere ... how about Darcy Kuemper?

I think about that when I see the Knights play and I think goalies take forever to develop.
Yeah, I kinda think you shouldn't ever draft them. Just sign free agents to fill out your AHL roster, there's always plenty. And scour the NHL waiver wire a la Connor Ingram.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
How about Kyle Chipchura?
He autographed an Arizona Sundogs puck for me (he played a dozen games there during the 12-13 lockout) and very plainly described the experience as "better than not playing hockey at all."

Speaking of guys who make you think, "yeah, he had a nice career" but then you go "really? he was a first round pick?"

How about Rusty Klesla?

Howling Overseas

Dec 9, 2023
Yeah, I kinda think you shouldn't ever draft them.
But many goalies can prove the rule wrong.
Oettinger (1st), Hellebuyck (5th), Vasilevskiy (1st), Shesterkin (4th), Quick (3rd).
I never analyzed the data, but I'm not sure you'll do much worse drafting goalies than skaters.

Reactions: Summer Rose

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Our goalie coach was awesome… we always took goalies that were not good and made them have career years, then were able to trade away for valuable assets..

Scott Wedgwood
Devin Dubnyk
The pick we got for Wedgewood turned into Jeremy Langlois, who BA needs to sign in the next 10 days or else he goes back into the draft / into free agency.

The pick we got for Dubnyk turned into Brendan Warren, who played 4 years of college hockey at Michigan, didn't sign here and has put up a total of 25 points in 4 seasons in the AHL.

Yes, draft picks are valuable, but they're still lotto tickets.

Cool video. Obviously he's a bottom 6 FWD talking about guys who are all Hall of Famers, but it shines through how genuinely polite and decent a guy Pearls is. He's making fun of himself mid-pasta story. Zero ego there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad