Speculation: Every NHL Team's Best Free Agent Signing In History

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
These are both atypical FA signings because neither had played in the NHL before, but... for the Devils I'll say either Rafalski or Madden.

Both were key pieces of two Stanley Cup Champions.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Anaheim: Scott Niedermayer
Arizona:
Boston: Zdeno Chara
Buffalo:
Calgary:
Carolina: Ron Francis
Chicago: Ed Belfour
Colorado/Quebec: Peter Stastny
Columbus:
Dallas: Ed Belfour
Detroit: Brian Rafalski
Edmonton:
Florida:
Los Angeles:
Minnesota: Ryan Suter
Nashville: Paul Kariya
New Jersey: Brian Rafalski
Islanders:
Rangers: Wayne Grezky
Ottawa:
Philadelphia:
Pittsburgh:
San Jose:
St. Louis: Joe Mullen
Tampa Bay: Martin St. Louis
Toronto: Curtis Joseph
Vancouver:
Vegas:
Washington:
Winnipeg:
I don’t see anyone on that list better than Chara for what he has done (and continues to do) for the Bruins. M. St. Louis is close and that is a good debate but I still vote Chara as best UFA singing of all time.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And in 2011, Martin St. Louis' Bolts beat the Penguins, Capitals, and lost to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Bruins (his only cup in Boston) in 7 games.

I think this is where I take my leave. I'm not a fan of pissing contests.

Yeahhh SCF > Semi Finals...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Toss up between him or Cristobal huet
toss up between Hossa and Brian Campbell.

I would say Panarin as a third but we didn't get to benefit from him that long plus no cups. Campbell was the prize free agent we landed that sent note to the league that we were a major player again and top free agents like Hossa would want to play here.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Marty St Louis won the cup in 2004. Remember? Same year he captured the Hart, Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson.

Follow the conversation better. Already been pointed out both St. Louis and Chara have won a cup, but Chara also led his team to another SCF as well.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
And in 2011, Martin St. Louis' Bolts beat the Penguins, Capitals, and lost to the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Bruins (his only cup in Boston) in 7 games.

I think this is where I take my leave. I'm not a fan of pissing contests.
You started that pissing match. Don't pretend like you are taking the high road here. You are the only person that is coming out of that argument looking like an idiot

Reactions: Hensch

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Seeing Stastny listed for Quebec/Colorado made me think Dino Ciccarelli should merit some consideration for Minnesota/Dallas, too, as a good chunk of his Hall of Fame career was with the North Stars, however Belfour and Hull probably trump that because of the Stanley Cup.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Yeahhh SCF > Semi Finals...
Kinda indicating that Martin St Louis did more than win one cup.

My condolences that your empty fishbowl of a brain can't read between the lines.

Chara has 95 playoff games in 8 seasons with the Bruins. Not counting his time with the Senators.
MSL has 63 playoff games in 5 seasons with the Bolts. Not counting his two lengthy runs with the Rangers.

And this is just taking games played into account. Obviously the Bruins have been more consistently in the playoffs than the Bolts have been, it's pretty clear when you look at the numbers. But I'm just trying to illustrate it's not as far as you're making it out to be...

Considering Bruins fans call Chara the "best UFA signing of all time", that's closer than I'm sure even you guys want it to be. Considering how MSL ran himself out of town and whatnot.

There's also the fact that Chara had four playoff runs with the Senators before the Bruins signed him. You kinda knew what you were getting. The Bolts on the other hand, put a flyer on MSL, and he turned out into something none of us could have imagined. I think that little tidbit should be in play too...

Last edited:

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
Charlie Huddy was a significant free agent signing for the Oilers. Paul Coffey was free to push the offense because of Huddy's steady defensive play as his partner.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
For the Canucks its gotta be Dan Hamhuis. Was the 1st or 2nd best Dman on the team for 2 presidents trophy winning teams and a cup finals appearance that he unfortunately hurt himself in. He had a very reasonable price tag, but it was the early stages of when the league was starting to realize how valuable defense was. If a 28 year old Dan Hamhuis was on the market this season you better believe he'd be getting at least 6x6.

Other than that, the Canucks haven't had the best run with free agents, particularly big impact ones. Pre-lockout free agency was less common, and the best ones all went to 6-7 teams. The Canucks nevertheless tried it in the 90s with he who we do not speak of and it failed spectacularly. So its been mostly support guys who have been free agents. Other than Hamhuis, the closest I would say are Willie Mitchell, Andrew Cassels, Mikael Samuelsson and Ryan Miller who played pretty well considering the abomination surrounding him. None of them compare to Hammer though.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
In the last 7-8 years Rangers have made some nice UFA signings that worked out for us in one way or another.

Just a couple I can think of this early on a Sunday morning...

Marian Gaborik
Mats Zuccarello
Kevin Hayes
Michael Grabner

Gaborik was a big money FA that worked out well

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers: Bobrovsky?

They get ripped on for trading him, and rightfully so. But no one else signed him. And no one offered more than CBus did. So those other GM's failed to jump on him as well.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
Willie Mitchell. Top 4 dman and a true leader.
It was a harsh break for Canucks fans. Mitchell was great but management was concerned over his concussion issues. Canucks let Mitchell walk and then traded Grabner and a 1st for Ballard....

Tough to imagine if the Canucks could have won a cup if they had Mitchell and not had traded for Ballard. Ballard played 1 game in the final despite Hamhuis injured and Rome suspended

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad