Player Discussion Evander Kane - Part 4

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Just think we could easily sign kane back if we didn't jump all over okposo...
We can still re-sign Kane rather easily - get 2 1-3mil goalies in instead of Lehner and The Chad (Ullmark and whoever else is available), give Sam the contract hes currently deserving - 2x3.25m bridge or thereabouts, buyout Moulson and I think thats enough. I wont mind Kane back and I wont mind trading him before the deadline if he gets us good pieces. I cant see us needing him for a playoff push this season so if the return is goos and helps our future Im open to trading rather re-signing him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I get the trade Kane if he is gonna walk sentiment. It's logical.

Without kane out LW depth is zero. Even pouliot is gone.

But hey we have okposo on the right side.

Trading kane is logical to an extent but without him we are abysmal on that wing.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I get the trade Kane if he is gonna walk sentiment. It's logical.

Without kane out LW depth is zero. Even pouliot is gone.

But hey we have okposo on the right side.

Trading kane is logical to an extent but without him we are abysmal on that wing.

Mittlestadt. Nylander. Not zero.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
You create more depth with an Evander Kane move. He's going to be looking at both term (6-8 years) and term (6.5 and up). Someone is going to trade for him. His off the field transgressions have been under control, and when you combine his ability to forecheck, poke check and the ability to skate with / without the puck someone will pay. Maybe not to the extent that the Duchene deal just accomplished, however you can get a very healthy return. Possibly a late 1st and a blue chip prospect. It truly depends on injury, a team looking to push it over the edge and a team going all in on the season in the second half.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Buying out Moulson and getting a cheap goaltender gives us room to sign Kane still

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/matt-moulson

Buying out Moulson will only save $1.33M next year.

The better approach would be trying to trade Moulson while retaining a portion of the cap hit.

There are a ton of moving parts to create space to sign Kane.

First, there is the question about what Kane would want.

Then there is Reinhart's RFA deal.

And then there is what to do in goal.

It's possible to fit Kane in under the cap next year. But, it won't be easy.

The toughest part for me is that Kane would want 6+ years at over $6M per.

Given how he plays, that will be another regrettable contract well before it ends.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/matt-moulson

Buying out Moulson will only save $1.33M next year.

The better approach would be trying to trade Moulson while retaining a portion of the cap hit.

There are a ton of moving parts to create space to sign Kane.

First, there is the question about what Kane would want.

Then there is Reinhart's RFA deal.

And then there is what to do in goal.

It's possible to fit Kane in under the cap next year. But, it won't be easy.

The toughest part for me is that Kane would want 6+ years at over $6M per.

Given how he plays, that will be another regrettable contract well before it ends.

lol, if Moulson can't beat out Seth Griffith or Jordan Nolan for minutes he is untradeable. Even at 50%. Sorry to break it to you. Stashing him saves 1 million and pisses off the 'hockey crowd'; buying him out saves 1.33 at the cost of 0.67 the following. That cost is likely worth it considering all cap situations.

And Reinhart is doing us a favor showing no reason he deserves more than a 4 million dollar bridge at the moment. Yeah if you trade Reinhart for an ELC you will have cap space, but you don't trade Reinhart just for the cap space without getting fleeced.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
lol, if Moulson can't beat out Seth Griffith or Jordan Nolan for minutes he is untradeable. Even at 50%. Sorry to break it to you. Stashing him saves 1 million and pisses off the 'hockey crowd'; buying him out saves 1.33 at the cost of 0.67 the following. That cost is likely worth it considering all cap situations.

Moulson + pick for a lesser pick to a team trying to get to the cap floor is an option that should be explored.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Kane reminds me a lot of Drew Stafford 7-8 years ago.

He is not a difference maker. Use the money on defense. Stay the course. Trade him for the highest offer. Preferably anything that can improve our defense.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Non of these two are sure things, especially Nylander.
Neither of those 2 also play LW. Nylander plays predominately the right side and is a RH shot. Mittelstadt makes more sense to switch to wing with a LH shot but our team lacks a lot of lefties. He could stay at center too and give us a center spine of Eichel-Mittelstadt-ROR, thus allowing us to trade Reinhart or move him to wing. Then we have two gifted O-Lines similar to Crosby/Malkin (obviously those two are tremendous talents) and then a great 2-way option with ROR.

All of this also is dependent on what you said earlier, that they make it and thrive.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

He is not a difference maker. Use the money on defense. Stay the course. Trade him for the highest offer. Preferably anything that can improve our defense.

I'm no Kane fan... but this is awfully generous to Drew Stafford :laugh:

Kane is more comparable to Vanek. A player who does so much wrong on the ice, but has a pure talent that results in goals.

Kane's pure talent is speed/skating
Vanek's pure talent was his hands/shot

Everything else about their games... was barely average to way below average.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm no Kane fan... but this is awfully generous to Drew Stafford :laugh:

Kane is more comparable to Vanek. A player who does so much wrong on the ice, but has a pure talent that results in goals.

Kane's pure talent is speed/skating
Vanek's pure talent was his hands/shot

Everything else about their games... was barely average to way below average.
Kane is better, but I just get a similar feeling watching Kane as I did watching Stafford.

Signing Kane makes no sense at all for this team. If we were close it would be a different story. We should all hope Kane keeps it up. Get a 1st and maybe more.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

There are a lot of criticisms of Kane you could make, but I don't get how you can argue he's not a difference maker. How much worse would our record be without his goalscoring?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
There are a lot of criticisms of Kane you could make, but I don't get how you can argue he's not a difference maker. How much worse would our record be without his goalscoring?
I don't think we would be any different record wise. No way to prove that.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

And Reinhart is doing us a favor showing no reason he deserves more than a 4 million dollar bridge at the moment. Yeah if you trade Reinhart for an ELC you will have cap space, but you don't trade Reinhart just for the cap space without getting fleeced.
4mil dollar bridge is far too much for Sam's role in the team. If we bridge him, it won't be for anything more than 3.6-3.7 per for a couple of years.
Kane is better, but I just get a similar feeling watching Kane as I did watching Stafford.

Signing Kane makes no sense at all for this team. If we were close it would be a different story. We should all hope Kane keeps it up. Get a 1st and maybe more.
You do realize Kane is 26 and has at least 4-5 good years in him? Now is the time to own him, in his prime. If we are not competing for something in 2-3-4 years time then they may as well shut the team down altogether.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
4mil dollar bridge is far too much for Sam's role in the team. If we bridge him, it won't be for anything more than 3.6-3.7 per for a couple of years.

You do realize Kane is 26 and has at least 4-5 good years in him? Now is the time to own him, in his prime. If we are not competing for something in 2-3-4 years time then they may as well shut the team down altogether.

Huh??? A difference of less than 10% is far too much? :laugh:

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes, problem? 10% of Jack's contract is 1.1m. 10 for Jack is fair. 11.1 for Jack is far too much.

... oh also 10% of the cap is 7.5m. Is that nothing to you?

oh boy...:huh:

So if you value Player X at 800k, then 880k is FAR TOO MUCH?

Last edited by a moderator:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If Kane is not going to work here long term then they need to get a young stud in return at this point. No late 1st and a middling prospect. Kane with an extension worked out to Las Vegas for Shea Theodore would be an example of an ideal trade for Kane.

Reactions: Icicle

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If Kane is not going to work here long term then they need to get a young stud in return at this point. No late 1st and a middling prospect. Kane with an extension worked out to Las Vegas for Shea Theodore would be an example of an ideal trade for Kane.
I'm not sure Theodore alone returns Kane and I'm not sure Vegas is the right trade partner in the first place. They are not looking to be contenders now and are looking for younger pieces. Look at the return Duchene got. He's not that much better asset than pre-extended Kane. I think we could get a 1st and someone just below Theodore's level. What other good near NHL-caliber D prospects are out there?

Reactions: TheCerebral1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad