Value of: Evander Kane in Free Agency

Star67

Nov 17, 2017
What kind of contract does he get in July? Seems like he's been a decent fit in San Jose so far with 6 points in 6 games for them since the trade. Sharks would likely want to bring him back. Looks like a good fit on that top line next to Pavs.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
The money should be fine for Kane, but I have a hard time seeing a team committing term.

That's why im thinking like that ^ 5-6m x 2-3 years or 4-5m x 4-6years, if E.Kane wants term he's going to have to give up asking for big bucks, teams should start learning by now about Free Agency, if you're giving term make it less money (you don't want a Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo type contracts (spreading out a few names im pretty sure made it to UFA season and got big bucks)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
6m x 4 years.

Under 4 years I see him getting 6 but not over 4 years, teams aren't stupid anymore handing big money to players that can't stick to a team for more than 3 years, I don't think he gets more than 3 years

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He stays with San Jose is my guess. But he'll get a cheap contract there, but if he goes elsewhere for money I'm hoping it's Arizona.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He stays with San Jose is my guess. But he'll get a cheap contract there, but if he goes elsewhere for money I'm hoping it's Arizona.

That's actually a pretty interesting landing spot for him. They need experienced scoring forwards.

Wherever he ends up, I think it'll be somewhere in the 5.5M ballpark.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I really can't see any team willing to sign him for more then 2 or 3 years. Great hockey player but a jerk in the dressing room and off ice. I'd be surprised if he can get more then 5M per year.

Reactions: north49er

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I would avoid term. Up to 6.6 for 4 years is better than taking on 5-6 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He'll get at least 6 mil per season and probably a minimum of four years and probably a full clause. The Sharks may keep him but I don't think it'll happen before July 1 unless Tavares re-signs in New York.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
He'll get at least 6 mil per season and probably a minimum of four years and probably a full clause. The Sharks may keep him but I don't think it'll happen before July 1 unless Tavares re-signs in New York.
That would trigger the conditional part of the trade turning the 2nd in 2019 into a 1st.
Buffalo would be happy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That would trigger the conditional part of the trade turning the 2nd in 2019 into a 1st.
Buffalo would be happy.

It's a fair condition, imo. A 1st for a re-signed Kane is a pick well spent even if it's only three or four more years. But I don't think the Sharks will keep him if Tavares legitimately gives them a reason to believe that he'd consider going to San Jose this off-season. At this point, it is and ought to be treated like a pipe dream but I'm pretty sure DW will keep that option open as long as possible.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I think Sharks resign him at 6 x 6, before or on July 1. If they intend to, look for them to shed Karlsson or Boedkker at the draft for picks ( keeping options open for free agency).

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Buffalo would be happy.

Is there a way around this? This is probably bad business and a hypothetical but couldn't San Jose not re-sign him and let him go to "free agency" and then get another team to sign him for the term and dollar amount Sharks want and have that team trade back to the Sharks for something? Yes, its a total hypothetical and will likely ruin relationships between San Jose and Buffalo and probably make San Jose look reallll bad but would that work to avoid giving up a 1st?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Somewhere between 6-6.5M and 4-6 yrs. I think the cap going up to 80M would increase interest on Kane around the league, so it'll be interesting to see if he stays in SJ.

Is there a way around this? This is probably bad business and a hypothetical but couldn't San Jose not re-sign him and let him go to "free agency" and then get another team to sign him for the term and dollar amount Sharks want and have that team trade back to the Sharks for something? Yes, its a total hypothetical and will likely ruin relationships between San Jose and Buffalo and probably make San Jose look reallll bad but would that work to avoid giving up a 1st?

Technically, but they wouldn't do this. It's not worth it to destroy your reputation over one 1st rounder.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad