Start of Round Two

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I would take a guess amd say the earliest round 2 starts is Saturday at best. They won't start the second round until all series are pretty much over amd or game 7 of said games

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They have an ABC primetime slot on Saturday. That is supposed to be a Game 7, but if there are no Game 7’s you can bet that will be a Game 1 of the second round. The league doesn’t turn down the limited number of broadcast tv slots they get.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
They have an ABC primetime slot on Saturday. That is supposed to be a Game 7, but if there are no Game 7’s you can bet that will be a Game 1 of the second round. The league doesn’t turn down the limited number of broadcast tv slots they get.

Do they really want to start the eastern semis possibly 2 days before the west though? Not sure they do

Reactions: Summer Rose

archangel2

May 19, 2019
For the schedule experts, what do you think it looks like?

There’s already one team waiting to know when round two begins and it could be another tonight.
In two weeks time? Passive brag about your team advancing first. Several series could end in the next 48 hours but it looks like a few may go 6 or 7. So just sit back and let us mock you for trying to brag

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd be shocked if Dallas/Vegas doesn't go 7 games. And their game 7 is on sunday. So the earliest round 2 could start is Monday.

Even if Vegas/Dallas ends in game 6 on friday...it's not like they'd decide that night to start round 2 the next day.

So I think Monday makes sense.

I really hope they don't get stupid and start some round 2 matches before round 1 is fully finished.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
In two weeks time? Passive brag about your team advancing first. Several series could end in the next 48 hours but it looks like a few may go 6 or 7. So just sit back and let us mock you for trying to brag
Not only that - this is just the first round, so a bit risky to go for the cocky thread creation. I wonder if this thread gets bumped if the rangers lose in round 2?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Do they really want to start the eastern semis possibly 2 days before the west though? Not sure they do
The NBA does the same thing (start 2nd round before 1st is finished) to guarantee their ABC slots are filled. Being able to schedule quicker and not have the matchups flip at the last second is the main reason why the NHL moved to the bracket format a decade ago.

orange drop

Jun 30, 2023
I'd be shocked if Dallas/Vegas doesn't go 7 games. And their game 7 is on sunday. So the earliest round 2 could start is Monday.

Even if Vegas/Dallas ends in game 6 on friday...it's not like they'd decide that night to start round 2 the next day.

I really hope they don't get stupid and start some round 2 matches before round 1 is fully finished.
I think the nba does this all the time. Just to get the playoffs done faster. But I'm with you, finish each round first.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The NBA does the same thing (start 2nd round before 1st is finished) to guarantee their ABC slots are filled. Being able to schedule quicker and not have the matchups flip at the last second is the main reason why the NHL moved to the bracket format a decade ago.

I have heard a big reason Bettman really cannot go back to re-seeding is due to the fact you mention. He obviously won't disclose that but I am sure the PA has been told that part of the playoff format is non negotiable for now due to the increased TV success of the league the last 8-10 years. It may be why too even after expansion 1-8 won't come back though I guess you could but you'd have to explain then why you are not re-seeding like you did 94-13

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If Dallas/VGK goes 7, you can bet that the East has already started Round 2
NYR/CAR probably plays in that ABC slot but I bet FLA/BOS won’t begin til Sunday or Monday. If the Isles win tonight then obviously FLA/BOS probably ends up in that slot but I don’t think both eastern series will start

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I have heard a big reason Bettman really cannot go back to re-seeding is due to the fact you mention. He obviously won't disclose that but I am sure the PA has been told that part of the playoff format is non negotiable for now due to the increased TV success of the league the last 8-10 years. It may be why too even after expansion 1-8 won't come back though I guess you could but you'd have to explain then why you are not re-seeding like you did 94-13
You can go 1-8 and still bracket. That’s what the NBA does.

The scheduling was different in the re-seed days. The league used to start the playoffs on a Wednesday to ensure a game 2 and 5/6 fell on the weekend NBC slots as those were likely to happen (though there were a couple of times they had to give up the slots because of early series finishes).

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Not only that - this is just the first round, so a bit risky to go for the cocky thread creation. I wonder if this thread gets bumped if the rangers lose in round 2?
100% it does. Especially for such an outspoken poster.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Toronto makes quick work of Florida due to their added snot, Shesterkin is petrified of Matthews special 69 cannon and refuses to leave the dressing room, Leafs win by forfeit, Vegas Golden Asterisks face a real team and get clowned 10-0 every game starting the Leafs dynasty.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

This is not correct they will most likely start round 2 on Saturday

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The only series that right now is set for 7 most likely is Dallas/Vegas. They are slotted on Friday/Sunday for G6 and G7.

If Boston or Carolina wrap things up tonight, you could see one of the east series on Saturday night. If both, you could see the other on Sunday, probably Sunday night and a potential G7 Vegas/Dallas be the premium 3PM slot.

The only thing the NHL will need to monitor is the Knicks/76ers series if the Knicks win and when that G1 will be at the Garden. Bruins will start on the road if they hold on, so no conflict with the Celtics.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only series that right now is set for 7 most likely is Dallas/Vegas. They are slotted on Friday/Sunday for G6 and G7.

If Boston or Carolina wrap things up tonight, you could see one of the east series on Saturday night. If both, you could see the other on Sunday, probably Sunday night and a potential G7 Vegas/Dallas be the premium 3PM slot.

The only thing the NHL will need to monitor is the Knicks/76ers series if the Knicks win and when that G1 will be at the Garden. Bruins will start on the road if they hold on, so no conflict with the Celtics.
NHL will have to decide on Wed whether to start a RD 2 series on Saturday. Potentially could end up with no games on this weekend unless they do start RD 2. Need to give the teams notice and follow up on arena availability. See how many of the series ends tonight. If Bos closes, could set up them and FLA on Sat. Same with Car/NYI. Van would have to wait til Edm on Wed to know. Their arena availability is only Sunday & Tuesday for Rd 2 as that was the day of game 7 if they need it for Nash.

Odd round 1 with just 1 series tied at 2-2

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
For the schedule experts, what do you think it looks like?

There’s already one team waiting to know when round two begins and it could be another tonight.
Accordance to the Bookies which currently have the Canes as Favorites over the Rangers in game 1 on May 6th.

Canes 1-0

THAT WAS QUICK

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They have started Round 2 before Round 1 is finished before though
Saturday would be an empty day if the Leafs don’t win tonight. If it was a Tuesday it would not be a big deal to not have a game.

Only series that is set is Car and NYR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad