Europa League 2017/2018

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Saw a few highlights, but an exciting looking day of matches. Some amazing goals too. Parolo's finish was excellent. Felipe Anderson also with a really nice goal.

I'm with @All Might on Ramsey. Never understand how's he written off. Just a couple of months ago a Gooner (or two?) was saying how he should be sold and Wilshere should be kept. Rather amazing really. And I actually think Ramsey was overrated after his first big season. He's not going to offer up a lot defensively, but he puts in the work. Still he's a very good passer and the goals he brings by getting into the box are really valuable. The key is getting the entire midfield setup right so he can play his game, which at Arsenal seems to rarely happen. Anyway, he's now shown up in another relatively big fixture and now has 9 goals and 7 assists in only 23 matches in the league and Europa League combined.

Speaking of underrated Arsenal players, it'll be interesting to see how Lacazette finishes the season. Some incredible statements made on this forum basically halfway through the guys first season at Arsenal. What'll be even more interesting will be how he does next season.

Like I said, Ramsey has amazing technical skills and I used to really enjoy his game. I just think the goals in big games have gotten to his head a bit or something. He has the ability to be a much more complete midfielder while also contributing goals/assists.

And I somewhat favor Wilshere over him just because Jack is a better fit in Arsenal's midfield and provides more balance at the moment. Ramsey no doubt deserves a spot in the first team, but I don't think he belongs in a midfield pair with the way he plays. The real problem is that neither of them can stay healthy.

Ramsey is prone to some pretty huge mental mistakes and is too often standing around prone while the other team goes back the other way to either score or get a great chance. He's very frustrating to watch.

Yes, very frustrating because you know he has the ability to be a more complete midfielder and still chip in goals, which is what Arsenal needs.

Ramsey is frustrating to watch the same way Oxlade-Chamberlain was. You know they can do better but you also know it won't happen with Wenger there, so the judgment of their actual quality is premature. If Arsenal changes manager it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he bashed in 12-15 goals in all competitions the following season for them. He has quality going forward for sure, you don't score goals like that without a lot of it.

Ramsey is a much better player than Ox ever was for Arsenal, and he's already produced a season better than that under Wenger. The problem is that this team isn't built around Ramsey, its built around Ozil.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I really hope Arsenal gets Atletico in the semis, Atletico would have so much fun with that Arsenal defence. CSKA could have scored 4+ yesterday easily with some finishing. Then LeipzigMarseille-Lazio would be nice as well.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Ramsey is frustrating to watch the same way Oxlade-Chamberlain was. You know they can do better but you also know it won't happen with Wenger there, so the judgment of their actual quality is premature. If Arsenal changes manager it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he bashed in 12-15 goals in all competitions the following season for them. He has quality going forward for sure, you don't score goals like that without a lot of it.

If Ramsey had Ox's work rate, he'd be world class. And probably playing for Real Madrid, or Barcelona.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I really hope Arsenal gets Atletico in the semis, Atletico would have so much fun with that Arsenal defence. CSKA could have scored 4+ yesterday easily with some finishing. Then LeipzigMarseille-Lazio would be nice as well.
They wouldn't be favorites, but I'd still think they'd have a fighting chance.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ramsey is only 2 goals away from most by an Arsenal miefielder. He's already really good. He's been way better than Wilshere this year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Also f***, Mkhitaryan has ligament damage with no timetable for a return. That pretty much puts a dent in the EL chance we had.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would rather see RBL vs. Arsenal next round. That's a match that has a lot of potential to be very exciting to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal beat Atletico tbh.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Agreed. And this isn't to mention that for a while Wenger was playing out on the right.

Like I said, Ramsey has amazing technical skills and I used to really enjoy his game. I just think the goals in big games have gotten to his head a bit or something. He has the ability to be a much more complete midfielder while also contributing goals/assists.

And I somewhat favor Wilshere over him just because Jack is a better fit in Arsenal's midfield and provides more balance at the moment. Ramsey no doubt deserves a spot in the first team, but I don't think he belongs in a midfield pair with the way he plays. The real problem is that neither of them can stay healthy.

That's what I was saying though. I don't think he works well in a midfield pair with Arsenal's formation. I think he'd be best suited in a three man midfield.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Ramsey is only 2 goals away from most by an Arsenal miefielder. He's already really good. He's been way better than Wilshere this year.

Ramsey is the better overall player, but Wilshere is a better fit with the other players they have imo. If Arsenal had a true DM like Kante to pair Ramsey with it'd be a different story.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It's either rest Timo or secure a 5th BuLi team in the CL for me...plus I'm happy for those fools in Leipzig, Ossi-excellence & all that.

Do we really want to see the carnage of even more non-Bayern teams next season though?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do we really want to see the carnage of even more non-Bayern teams next season though?

It'll be great. Y'all can get embarrassed in europe while Raffa stays healthy to drive the cooler borussia back into the top 4!

Plus if we get enough teams into the CL, eventually we'll dragged the level of play down the way we did the BuLi

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Great counter, 2-1 !
Great move by Lopez, great cross by Payet, great volley by Sanson, great double save by the Leipzig keeper and Sarr sends it home !

Reactions: Pouchkine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad