Tribute Eugene Melnyk has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
wow not what i was expecting when i fired up HF.

Made me rant a lot but he had great passion for the Senators and hockey.

RIP Melnyk

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah wow. Shocking to read. And only 62? Didn’t know he was that young somehow.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Irregardless of how I felt about him towards the end, but I really wished we gave him a cup. I don't think there were as many big super fans of this team as Melnyk was.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Absolutely shocked of course, because although I speculated he was looking really sick in his last public appearance, there was no build up to this news at all. Went from nothing to "Melnyk has passed", no hospital admission, no news that he was "close" to dying or anything of the sort....just crazy that he is here one moment and gone the next.

This might seem like self assurance but the past while I actually stopped putting blame on Eugene Melnyk and made some posts here defending his spending and basically shedding the "cheap" label with some trades and signings.

Anyway, we will leave the hockey talk for another thread, but I hope Mr. Melnyk got a chance to see or hear about the attendance numbers at the last home game, hopefully that gave him some peace knowing that fans came back.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
I always appreciated those pictures from the Eugene Melnyk Kid's Skate Day. He really did look like he enjoyed the event.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sad news. Say what we will about the way he ran the club he truly was a passionate fan at heart. RIP Eugene.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
This is really sad. Condolences to the Melnyk family. RIP.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The man saved the team from moving 19 years ago - give him that

He inherited a mess starting with the arena being in Kanata.

I am a Bostonian but my college roommate who passed in 2019 became a serious promoter in Ottawa and he told me the only way deals get done in Ottawa would be at the Elgin Street Diner late at night.

LeBreton Flats is the obvious answer but Ottawa politics is complicated.

Reactions: Runner77 and Yak

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
RIP, I knew his health had been declining but still shocking to hear he's passed.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Whatever happens with ownership. It’s a new start and also a fresh start for fans to prove they are willing to give the new owner a chance. Fans have to come out and get the bandwagon full again.

But do expect a renewal of the fans and the organization. New faces, no message, new plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad