Value of: Erik Karlsson - UFA. Will it happen? Where does he end up?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It was never ok ....But you guys going on about how much a steal it was is a little much ,and if you dont sign him and win nothing what then??

They move on and allocate the cap dollars some other way. It's costly for a one year rental but they're taking their shot at the Cup. They'll be fine if they don't win because they have a strong core outside of Karlsson.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They move on and allocate the cap dollars some other way. It's costly for a one year rental but they're taking their shot at the Cup. They'll be fine if they don't win because they have a strong core outside of Karlsson.
All I was trying to say ,we didnt and wont win this trade ...But we may just not lose it as badly as some want to believe

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
It was never ok ....But you guys going on about how much a steal it was is a little much ,and if you dont sign him and win nothing what then??

I have never labeled that deal a steal. The Sens most certainly got value (I'm still a huge Balcers fan) I was certainly surprised however that the Sharks acquired him without having to give up an essential player to the current and future core. It's one thing to do it in a deal for Kane it's another to do it in a deal for Erik friggin Karlsson. I get what you are saying, the Sens never got hosed on the deal but I would still make that deal today and even still if Karlsson ends up not re-signing just for the opportunity at winning a Cup this year

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well I'll say this, we had Stamkos, Hedman and Kucherov take less. Kuch took substantially less on his second deal. Nobody expected these to happen including our own fans. I'm not going to doubt that they can get him at a number they like. As for Callahan he is useful for a year. Tb could add if they need to. I'm not going to sit here and say we will sign Karlsson but if we want to it's not impossible.
Better way to ask the question about Callahan. He has a NTC. Granted only a 15 team but still what team is going to be on that list that wants him? Also yes I know all of them took less. Stamkos still took 7.5M and has about 1.11 PPG in the last year of his rookie contract. Kucherov took a 4.76ish deal and has about 0.86 PPG. Don't want to compare Hedman because there isn't really a good comparison between forward and D to prove my point and I feel like Stamkos and Kucherov are more relevant. Brayden Point is currently at 1.25 PPG. So better than both. Not only is he playing better than both were at the time but there is also a higher cap now than before. So basically what I'm saying is if you can get him under 8M consider yourself lucky. Let's say you do sign him for 7.5. With the cap at 83M, you now have approximately 3M with 17 players signed. Let's go further, in order to keep a 23 man roster, the average cap hit of the last 6 players would be 500K, which I believe is less than the minimum cap hit (could be wrong but I believe it's somewhere around 650K). Now let's say you move out one of Gourde/Miller like you say, without taking ANY cap back. That clears out approximately an additional 5.2M. Now you're at 8.2M to add an additional 7 players to your roster. Much more doable in that the average cap hit is 1.2ish. I don't believe you will be able to trade Callahan but you do so let's compromise and say you can trade him but you have to keep 3M in cap hit either with a replacement player or retention or a combination. You now have 11.2M to add either 7 or 8 players to your roster. If you get a replacement then the average cap hit of those 7 can be 1.6M, if not then the 8 players would be 1.4M. Great you've somehow managed to convince Erik Karlsson to sign at a very modest 8M per year and also have moved out one of Gourde or Miller and have moved out half of Callahan's cap hit. You now have 3.2M to add at least 6 more players. That's with EK taking a HUGE discount. Now if you get this far in my post, good job, because this is mostly rambling and me procrastinating all my midterms, but I just don't see how it's possible for TB to sign EK.

Reactions: Patty Ice

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Thats why i kept pounding the table that dorion won the deal and I got thrown to the curb. Norris is the wildcard if he becomes elite then it's a landslide.
How nice of you to pop back into the conversation when it’s convenient. You got thrown to the curb because most people thought of you was pounding your head on the table not your hands and you were thinking clearly

I don’t have all your old messages to go back but there’s many posters even for auto and it would say your comments were obnoxious to say the least and just simply untrue

When tierney started off Hot all you could do is talk smack how we got hosed the sharks did and Demello is going to be a top for defenseman and you swore at that Chris was a top six forward and you’d seen enough and he was gonna put up 60+ points how did that work out. And you simply vanished from the face of the earth and that form once Karlsson started truly proven her the best player wasn’t the deal

The fact that you could ever think with the pieces we traded that you will win this deal by a landslide shows how little you either know about the players you have or if you just turning a blind eye into prideful. But Norris will never be elite so if he is your wildcard on making this deal landslide which is a joke in itself this deal never was or never will be a Land slide win for Ottawa get over it

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
How nice of you to pop back into the conversation when it’s convenient. You got thrown to the curb because most people thought of you was pounding your head on the table not your hands and you were thinking clearly

I don’t have all your old messages to go back but there’s many posters even for auto and it would say your comments were obnoxious to say the least and just simply untrue

When tierney started off Hot all you could do is talk smack how we got hosed the sharks did and Demello is going to be a top for defenseman and you swore at that Chris was a top six forward and you’d seen enough and he was gonna put up 60+ points how did that work out. And you simply vanished from the face of the earth and that form once Karlsson started truly proven her the best player wasn’t the deal

The fact that you could ever think with the pieces we traded that you will win this deal by a landslide shows how little you either know about the players you have or if you just turning a blind eye into prideful. But Norris will never be elite so if he is your wildcard on making this deal landslide which is a joke in itself this deal never was or never will be a Land slide win for Ottawa get over it
All the pieces that Ottawa got for an injured karlsson who may not even sign with sharks is a clear victory for sens. Remember also karlsson was having major foot injury issues before trade. Sens sold right at the perfect moment and now have lots to show for it. Was it a perfect package probably not. Was it good ? Definitely yes. And yes norris will be a darn good player book it.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
All the pieces that Ottawa got for an injured karlsson who may not even sign with sharks is a clear victory for sens. Remember also karlsson was having major foot injury issues before trade. Sens sold right at the perfect moment and now have lots to show for it. Was it a perfect package probably not. Was it good ? Definitely yes. And yes norris will be a darn good player book it.

There you go you’re coming back down to earth now Insteaad of landslide you said they got good players I can agree with that or you got some decent pieces.

And I never said the sharks won in a landslide it was you who said we actually got their crap end of the stick and we got hosed which is simply untrue you go from one extreme to another.

Also just had a curiosity how much of Norris have you watched of him in before the trade took place did you even know who he was? Oh so now you’re saying he’s going to be a darn good player when he was going to be elite before see how you keep backtracking. And as mentioned how much have you watched of him what do you like about him because as mentioned he might maybe be a third line or some day years down the line for you to hope that he’s a top six elite game changer is just being delusional

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There you go you’re coming back down to earth now Insteaad of landslide you said they got good players I can agree with that or you got some decent pieces.

And I never said the sharks won in a landslide it was you who said we actually got their crap end of the stick and we got hosed which is simply untrue you go from one extreme to another.

Also just had a curiosity how much of Norris have you watched of him in before the trade took place did you even know who he was? Oh so now you’re saying he’s going to be a darn good player when he was going to be elite before see how you keep backtracking. And as mentioned how much have you watched of him what do you like about him because as mentioned he might maybe be a third line or some day years down the line for you to hope that he’s a top six elite game changer is just being delusional

Pretty much nobody knew who Josh Norris was before this trade and nobody would know or care about him if he was still a Shark. If he were still a Shark prospect, nobody would know who he was and people would say the Sharks' prospect pool is trash. But because they traded him as one of the center pieces in the Erik Karlsson deal, suddenly he's a great prospect and it really sucked for them to lose him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
At the time of the trade, there was immense value for the Sharks in having Karlsson for a year - where they could try and get him comfortable in San Jose and extended to a contract.

There was talk at the deadline that Vegas KNEW they were one of Stone's preferred destinations, if not the top preferred destination. They did not gamble and wait to acquire him on July 1st because there was a fear that if he went else where, he could get comfortable and eventually re-sign.

Even if Karlsson walks, it does not invalidate the value in the above.

Ignoring it would be like ignoring that a 1st round pick had value at one time just because the player taken with that same pick has busted.

They gave up a 1st, a 2nd, two B prospects, a middle 6 center with 3 more years of team control, and a fringe NHL defender for 1 year of the best defender of this generation, and for being the only team able to offer him 8 years (and have an entire year to woo him into re-signing). There is also a conditional pick if he re-signs, but most people are approaching a critique of this trade from the standpoint that they don't think Karl will re-sign.

The return becomes even more ridiculous when it is recognized that he 2nd they gave up was produced via hustling Ottawa in the Boedker/Hoffman debacle. The Sharks moved a player that likely was unmoveable else where for a 2nd round pick via flipping Hoffman.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Then they will unlikely to be true contenders if they have rid themselves of good players to fit Karlsson in.

I see Sharks window of opportunity getting slowly closed with the aging players.

If they are not contenders this year WITH Karlsson, I see no incentive for EK to sign there. If there is no success this year, EK is gone.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Where is the Sharks extension every Sharks fan said will happen after the trade deadine?

Could and will are two different things. People here pretend like there's no incentive for Karlsson to get something done with San Jose as soon as the 8 year option was on the table. They're focusing on the rest of this year and will likely hammer something out before the draft.

I see Sharks window of opportunity getting slowly closed with the aging players.

If they are not contenders this year WITH Karlsson, I see no incentive for EK to sign there. If there is no success this year, EK is gone.

They are contenders this year regardless of the actual results. Anyone with the ability to watch them play knows this already. And no their window is not closing anytime soon. What people don't seem to understand is that the people that are driving the bus for the team aren't anywhere close to being done. This team is basically being carried by the likes of Burns, Karlsson, Hertl, and Meier. They're going to be just fine even if EK65 walks because Burns isn't going anywhere and getting worse anytime soon. Hertl and Meier are just getting started on doing the heavy lifting for this team.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
They are contenders this year regardless of the actual results. Anyone with the ability to watch them play knows this already. And no their window is not closing anytime soon. What people don't seem to understand is that the people that are driving the bus for the team aren't anywhere close to being done. This team is basically being carried by the likes of Burns, Karlsson, Hertl, and Meier. They're going to be just fine even if EK65 walks because Burns isn't going anywhere and getting worse anytime soon. Hertl and Meier are just getting started on doing the heavy lifting for this team.

I'm sure you know much better than me where the Sharks are actually heading, but for EK to sign contract there has to be proven success in the playoffs this year. If it wasn't important for him, he would have already signed the extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00